[v14e] Toy Soldiers Mod- Third Release!

Post here your released mods

[v14e] Toy Soldiers Mod- Third Release!

Postby SilverChiren » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:46 am

This mod is inspired by the Minecraft mod I am also co-developer of, Clay Soldiers.

Welcome to the Toy Soldiers mod! If you ever wondered how many froggies a werepig can eat, this is the mod for you!

As you can see above, this mod adds brightly colored entities to your game world to use in an arena-type setting. These mobs are craftable and destroyable, and cost nothing but a couple seconds to make. They are found in their own category in the right menu, and can be removed again by right clicking on them and selecting the kill option. They can be pretty if used as decorations, if you can convince them to hold still. However have another intended use. The two teams, they don't like each other. It's the age old feud between red and blue. The red soldiers kill the blue soldiers, and so on. So build their battlegrounds, choose their fighters, and let them have their wars!

Currently there are only two teams and over ninety unit types available with stats close to, if not matching, their vanilla counterparts. The humanoid ones have the stats of Townies with the equipment shown in the tooltip, while the monsters are mere clones of the monsters you otherwise fight normally. The only stats that have been altered are movement and line of sight. Line of sight has been defaulted to a range of 5-6 on all Toy Soldiers entities for the sake of interesting battle, and movement is about half that of normal townies so that townies can catch them to remove them.

They will do battle anywhere, but proper care is to be taken to contain them beforehand if you would like any sort of fairness to the fight. They follow the same movement rules as farm animals, so they can not walk through doors that aren't open. They can, however, use ranged attacks through doors that are not locked. So keep that in mind before setting up armies too close together. With all of the entities having decent movement and sight range, it is possible to have large-scale wars using the entire game world. I've personally tested battles of 300+ entities per team, and the game handles it fantastically.
Also, I've tested battles of over 3000 units per team. The game doesn't seem to crash on my machine until around 12000 entities total. Your results may differ.

NEW IN SECOND RELEASE!

We now have this handy set of buttons in the left menu for quickly cleaning up your toys after you are done with them! The buttons are for cleaning up humanoids, monsters, traps, and turrets. It's pretty easy to tell which button in which. Also you might notice that all Toy Soldier mobs can be placed in area instead of individually now.

But wait, I did say traps and turrets! If that has your interest, here are the items currently available in the new 'structures' category. The six traps are derived from vanilla traps, but are rigged to only attack Toy Soldier mobs not of their team color. The effects are just as strong as their vanilla counterparts, so you know what to expect when using them. The turrets are stationary entities that attack just like the other Toy Soldiers. They are the Vechs firespitter, which shoots fire arrows from afar, and the Herbalist explosive sprout, which goes boom and poisons things. Neither of them will move on their own, and will not make direct attacks on other structures even if they are of the opposing team.

The other two items in this list are the pushpin and the brownie house. The brownie house simply does nothing but soak up damage. It is intended to serve as a visual presence of that team's home area, or a destructible objective for the other team. Lastly is the pushpin, which acts as a beacon for all of its team. Placing a pin will cause all Toy Soldiers humanoids and monsters to rush towards a single point. Placing multiple pins will cause the mobs to move back and forth between them, acting almost like patrol routes. The pushpins can of course be removed again afterwards. Please do note before making use of the pushpins, that using them with hundreds of their team's mobs in the world can cause intense lag. Be advised of this and use them with caution accordingly.

I do believe I have every creature in the game represented, with the exception of heroes and Sadon Keleton. Should not be much of an issue not having them.

The objectives with making this mod are;
1: To recreate the fun and excitement of the Clay Soldiers mod.
2: To push the limits of entities within the Towns engine.
3: To have battles comparing nearly every mob in the game.

Future plans for this mod are;
1: Making humanoid units with the remaining armor sets and weapon types.
2: Making more of the game's monsters into playable units.
3: Introducing more teams, if there becomes some way to more easily add targets each entity recognizes as enemies.
4: Slots for custom humanoid unit loadouts, so players can try out their own equipment!

To download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/r9dj9 ... ldiers.zip
This version was mainly bugfixing and tweaks. Not really a lot of newness here.

TOY SOLDIERS UTILITIES!

This will allow Toy Soldiers units to be mass-produced via the production menu. They require Toy Soldiers mod houses to be placed where the produced units are to be placed. This can allow for faster army construction and/or infinite soldier placement.
Toy Soldiers List download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/bd2za ... s-List.zip

This is purely a cheat mod I made to support quickly preparing worlds for Toy Soldiers shenanigans. Useless if you use a creative mode mod, but handy otherwise. I do not suggest using this during normal Towns play.
Toy Soldiers Cheetlist download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/mesie ... -Cheet.zip

To install: Same with all v12+ mod manager mods. Find the .towns directory in your documents folder, and unzip the mod in your mods folder there. Simple and easy!

Suggestions, complaints, requests, praise, and blatant trolly flaming all go here, feel free to hit me with any words you may have.
Last edited by SilverChiren on Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:32 am, edited 6 times in total.
SilverChiren

Location: In items.xml working out how to make strawberries not be overpowered...

Re: [v14] Toy Soldiers Mod

Postby Haggy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:39 am

Teams should not be a problem.
There are the "Hate" string.
Add an all units where this unit to attack. Done. And with Notepad + +, this is indeed not very difficult.
My English is bad. Sorry, but this will not Change.

Schreib einfach in deutsch zurück ;)

Haggys Mod Comp.
Haggy

Postby SilverChiren » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:29 pm

Yeah not hard, but annoying having to put all fifty or so names from every team into the hate list of every unit on every other team. Half of my file just about is already hate lists, and every single list gets longer every time I add a new unit. Just looks really messy to me is all.
SilverChiren

Location: In items.xml working out how to make strawberries not be overpowered...

Postby YetiChow » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:13 am

SilverChiren wrote:Yeah not hard, but annoying having to put all fifty or so names from every team into the hate list of every unit on every other team. Half of my file just about is already hate lists, and every single list gets longer every time I add a new unit. Just looks really messy to me is all.

You could try giving one team the "FRIENDLY" type and the other "ALLIED", then giving them <hate> for the other team's type - that way the two factions will attack each other based on ype rather than individual hate tags, although the downside is that they'll hate everything of that type. In other words, one faction will kill any farm animals they come across while the other faction will attack and "allied" livings, AFAIK only the hero summons fall into this latter category.

In an area that wouldn't be a problem though, just something to note if you take that option :)
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Re: [v14] Toy Soldiers Mod- Second Release!

Postby SilverChiren » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:18 pm

I'd thought of doing that, but I don't really want to have two teams killing farm animals, and one team being killed by heroes. Also the team set to ENEMY would be attacked by the townies placing them down. It wouldn't really be a fix, just a new way to be broken.
SilverChiren

Postby Haggy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:37 pm

So I rename a large number of units no problem with "notepad". as long as they "provide value" a same have at one place its name.

Example:

Archer-Longbow-Blue-001
Archer-Crossbow-Blue-777
Knight-Axe-Blue-505

Search -> Rename -> "-Blue-" in "-Red-" -> Replace

Archer-Longbow-Red-001
Archer-Crossbow-Red-777
Knight-Axe-Red-505
My English is bad. Sorry, but this will not Change.

Schreib einfach in deutsch zurück ;)

Haggys Mod Comp.
Haggy

Postby YetiChow » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:49 am

SilverChiren wrote:I'd thought of doing that, but I don't really want to have two teams killing farm animals, and one team being killed by heroes. Also the team set to ENEMY would be attacked by the townies placing them down. It wouldn't really be a fix, just a new way to be broken.

True; the ALLY category only applies to a few mobs but there's no other "unused" or "barely used" class of livings to put on the other team...

having the really long <hate> tag shouldn't cause any issues, it is annoying and ugly as you say but there are other long tag lines in the code which don't have any issues... I guess the only real downside is the amount of work it adds.'

The other way you could get them to attack each other would be to have the townies place "spawners" instead of the fighters themselves, and have them come out as ENEMY types or whatever... but then you've actually got more issues since they're effectively free guards and the townies will still attack them if they cross paths.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Re: [v14e] Toy Soldiers Mod- Third Release!

Postby SilverChiren » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:33 am

New version released with an expanded roster and less glitches. The game still posts notes in the error log about the hate lists being too long, but the mod runs perfectly fine. Also added some little utility mods to help with playing it.
SilverChiren

Return to Released mods