Make citizens a bit mor intelligent

Post here your suggestions for future Towns releases

Make citizens a bit mor intelligent

Postby Driver1507 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:18 pm

Hello!

I found out that if you have a citizen who have for example 5% of sick and goes to a point that is far away he can starve. I would like to have that the citizens dont walk too far away with to much Hunger for that distance.

thanks,
Driver1507
Driver1507

Re: Make citizens a bit mor intelligent

Postby YetiChow » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:02 am

Driver1507 wrote:Hello!

I found out that if you have a citizen who have for example 5% of sick and goes to a point that is far away he can starve. I would like to have that the citizens dont walk too far away with to much Hunger for that distance.

thanks,
Driver1507

Unfortunately, the game isn't even close to being able to support that at the moment from what I understand. The citizens don't think about themselves when you give them a job, they just do it.

That is kind of the whole challenge of this game, figuring out how to give orders that don't put your citizens at risk. There are many things you can do to help with that - for example, make sure you're moving resources near your workshops before you try and build with them; or break your big orders (like building a large roof on a house) into smaller stages.

Have a go at thinking about those kind of problems before you give your orders - check things like "how far will someone have to walk? Do they have to walk there and back and there and back multiple times? Can I make it so that many people make 1 trip rather than 1 person making many trips? Would it be better to do something else first, and give this order later when it's less dangerous?", and try to see any potential dangers before sending someone out to do the job. With a little practice you can eliminate most of the danger, and you don't get people starving or getting stuck :)
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Driver1507 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:01 pm

Oh yes you´re right. Its making more fun if that isn´t in the game.
Thanks!
Driver1507

Postby YetiChow » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:22 am

Well, there's nothing fun about a townie starving to death in the bakery, or fighting an un-win-able fight just two rooms over from a sleeping hero...

But the sense of satisfaction of building an "idiot proof" town is quite something. The key thing the Devs have to do is balance the challenge with making it easy enough to figure out.

They need to do more explaining of how some of the systems work. They are working on improving the tutorial; and there's a campaign in the pipeline which will further improve people's opportunity to learn the game systems :)

But some simple things - like having the tutorial say "these workers, they're so cheerful and dedicated. They'll work themselves to death if you tell them to. You should probably avoid that actually..." would make a huge difference for new players. And if the Devs can add some jokes and story and other fun things at the same time, it will take the game up to the next level :)
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Return to Suggestions