Making new barrel system a teensy weensy bit better

Post here your suggestions for future Towns releases

Making new barrel system a teensy weensy bit better

Postby Oakshand » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:58 am

So i had a few ideas on how to make this sorely needed addition better. Forgive me if it has already been suggested i looked around but i'm just absolutely terrible at research so i probably missed it.

1st: Add a locked or unlocked tag to the scroll-over or right click menu. That way I can see if there are any I haven't locked yet in my stockpile without having to go into the actually menu which was the whole reason behind this change.

2nd: Add in the option to lock the current configuration into the right click menu.

I think these changes will perfect the barrel system so they will hopefully never have to be touched again! YAY!
Oakshand

Re: Making new barrel system a teensy weensy bit better

Postby YetiChow » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:20 am

+1 to both of those - it would be a lot simpler to quickly lock and unlock barrels to make large changes.

However, I'd still like to see "area" versions of those commands, and an option to "share settings within area" alongside the global sharing option.

In other words, right-click and select share, lock or unlock; but if you use shift while you do that then it goes into area mode like with the other right-click orders. that would give advanced control to people who want it, while keeping it simple for people who only want simple controls (and of course they can evolve to more complex controls if they wish as they develop their methods to work better for their style of play).

Again it's simply a question of practicality... but if that option works, then there really would be no need to ever take another pass at barrels, because they literally would work for all styles of play from super-micro management to one-pass macro management :)
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Oakshand » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:39 pm

I contemplated that as well but I figured that was just a bigger change than they currently want to work on. I figure adding in an informational tag or just a simple right click menu command would be a lot easier than area commands. Granted I have no idea if that's the case or not but i don't wanna scare em away since they are finally starting to really work on the issues lol.
Oakshand

Postby YetiChow » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:05 pm

Oakshand wrote:I contemplated that as well but I figured that was just a bigger change than they currently want to work on. I figure adding in an informational tag or just a simple right click menu command would be a lot easier than area commands. Granted I have no idea if that's the case or not but i don't wanna scare em away since they are finally starting to really work on the issues lol.

Well, I may be out of place saying this... but big suggestions won't scare the Devs away, what turned them off before was demands and bile; not suggestions made in good faith.

As I said, even the idea as you originally put it would be a massive improvement; perhaps not entirely necessary (i.e. the system isn't "broken") but it never hurts to improve. And my view is that we might as well ask for the best option in the first instance, and see if the Devs can pull it off - after all, asking politely doesn't hurt :)
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Oakshand » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:16 pm

You make many good points kind sir. I hope they keep producing these little patches that really hit on the problems that exist. I know they have had a lot of drama and problems but even if they take months and months just to churn out a few of these small patches i'm okay with it. I would rather see that than have the development die completely.
Oakshand

Postby burningpet » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:09 pm

Oakshand wrote:So i had a few ideas on how to make this sorely needed addition better. Forgive me if it has already been suggested i looked around but i'm just absolutely terrible at research so i probably missed it.

1st: Add a locked or unlocked tag to the scroll-over or right click menu. That way I can see if there are any I haven't locked yet in my stockpile without having to go into the actually menu which was the whole reason behind this change.

2nd: Add in the option to lock the current configuration into the right click menu.

I think these changes will perfect the barrel system so they will hopefully never have to be touched again! YAY!

This doesn't sound complicated to implement. i will point it to xavi.
burningpet

Postby miljan02 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:31 pm

burningpet wrote:
Oakshand wrote:So i had a few ideas on how to make this sorely needed addition better. Forgive me if it has already been suggested i looked around but i'm just absolutely terrible at research so i probably missed it.

This doesn't sound complicated to implement. i will point it to xavi.

What about this suggestion? I think it should not be that hard to implement:

NineInchWhales wrote:I was just thinking that with a "lock all" option, one could build 5 barrels, set all barrels to wood only, then lock all barrels. Then one would build 5 more barrels, set all to stone only, then lock all barrels. So on and so fourth. It would probably be the easiest way to make the system work without the developers having to reinvent the current system.

It may be a bit difficult for newer players to figure out, and maybe even more difficult for an experienced player to abandon the desire to build a bunch of barrels right away. But there would be no more need to open the properties of every single barrel. It may also be easy to teach in a tutorial.
miljan02

Postby Oakshand » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:25 am

well yeah that would work but it restricts everyone to only one way of creating a stockpile. With my suggestions it gives much more freedom but makes it a lot easier to lock and unlock barrels.

Edit: holy crap i totally forgot to thank burningpet for considering my suggestion! Sorry bro lol. thanks so much! means a lot to have it even considered.
Oakshand

Postby NineInchWhales » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:49 am

Oakshand wrote:1st: Add a locked or unlocked tag to the scroll-over or right click menu. That way I can see if there are any I haven't locked yet in my stockpile without having to go into the actually menu which was the whole reason behind this change.

I think this would actually complement my idea quite nicely. I don't believe our ideas to be mutually exclusive.
NineInchWhales

Postby supermalparit » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:18 am

Noted, and for SURE will be coded in the next patch :)

Regards
Xavi Canal
supermalparit
Towns team

Return to Suggestions