Scaffold options - repost from Steam forums

Post here your suggestions for future Towns releases

Scaffold options - repost from Steam forums

Postby YetiChow » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:54 am

One of the more active discussions over there is the topic of decaying scaffolds - for some players it seems to cause more headaches than having to manually delete scaffolds.

Two suggestions came out of the discussion:

1. have different kinds of scaffolds; a "quick and dirty" one that is cheap/free and doesn't last long, and a permanent one for decorative use or to provide free access over an area.

2. Have an option in the game menu to toggle between decaying and permanent scaffolds.

The consensus is that while the idea of decaying scaffolds makes sense, it takes away some control; and really the scaffolds were the best (perhaps even only) way to control that situation.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Re: Scaffold options - repost from Steam forums

Postby Jon_jon13 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:27 pm

... I haven't played at all in this new patch yet, so I don't know how much of a bother it could really be, but I can imagine it being a PITA if you're in a big build, taking some time to put everything in place, and then the scaffolds start disappearing randomly and having to replace them...

So yeah, I think having 2 different scaffolds would be perfect: one for quick and everyday use, and one for special places, big builds, or even decoration as mentioned.

I think option 2 would be a bit hard to implement, knowing that objects get their "decay" status once placed. I've read, that scaffolds placed in previous versions won't EVER decay, so I guess this means that you changing some ingame option would also only affect the scaffolds you place from that point on.
This device requires watergineers, m'lord!
Jon_jon13

Postby BlueSteelAUS » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:03 pm

i think that the ones that last should actually cost resources. as even the flimsy walls that get built out of logs that cost 1 wood used to deteriorate. eh: log fences (actually not sure if they do anymore cause i stopped using them ages ago because of that)
BlueSteelAUS

Postby Jon_jon13 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:42 pm

I don't mind them costing resources, but the thing is that if they cost resources, they'll also take more time to make, and that's an annoyance. We should leave the balance for the devs, but I think it'd be fine even if they are free too: both will still have their uses, one will be more convenient because you don't have to do cleanup after the build is done, and the other will last longer, but you need to cleanup manually afterwards.
This device requires watergineers, m'lord!
Jon_jon13

Postby YetiChow » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:13 am

Looking at the code for the scaffolds, I think there's a pretty silly oversight/bug:

The maxAge is 1d4400+14400 - in other words, 10 to 20 days. Now, I can see the logic of making it last 20 days... but 1d10 days is a LOT of randomness for something that important.

Whatever option is taken, IMO the maxAge should be a minimum of 20 days with a chance for an extra day or two - having some of them disappear in half the time of the others only adds confusion; it's again that issue of control/logic you can use, currently it's just really unintuitive.

One other thought: what if, instead of just having the permanent/short-term division, there was a mechanic to convert the scaffolds from short-term to permanent ones? In other words, the townies place scaffolds the way they currently do, and then there's a "reinforce" action that takes a log and makes the scaffolding permanent... IDK if it would make the system simpler or more complex overall, all that I'm thinking is that it would save having two menu buttons (which I expect would be confusing to some people, I can imagine that building the temporary scaffolds by mistake would be really frustrating...)
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Return to Suggestions