Item Management

Post here your suggestions for future Towns releases

Item Management

Postby Kaseda » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:52 am

I find one of the most annoying things in this game item management. Especially early game, you have items everywhere. So here a few suggestions for the future:

A Deletion Barrel:
Similar to all barrels, except it does exactly what it says it does. When placed, everything is off by default, but when you turn an item, i.e. dirt, it will automatically turn it off in all other containers, and will become the only container that it can go into. The special ability of this barrel is that once it goes in, it doesn't come out. Also, this container has infinite space. This would be helpful because when I build my town, I enjoy having completely flat land. So when I do this, I end up mining mountains, and gives me a stupidly large amount of dirt, and I don't use it. Currently, the easiest way to do it is to build barrels which dirt can only go into, and then once they are full, delete them. But this still would not be as easy as that. If not a feature of the game, it would be a great mod. I also think it would be simply the same cost as other containers, as it's simply for your ease, and is used only for getting rid of items.

Upgraded Containers:
Late game, your containers start taking up a large amount of space, and is rather annoying. Yes, it does divide the amount of space taken by 10, but it still takes up tons of space. I especially notice that weapons and armor build up, and you can't get enough people to give all this stuff too. I notice that this item buildup is where the caravan comes in, but it's still nice to simply have it. So I basically propose that you should be able to use the left menu to make these, which will automatically be applied to barrels, up to two times, to make the barrels hold 20 or 30 more items. They will be fairly expensive, so that you can't get them easily early on, but later game production is easy, but still costly in large amounts. Again, would be great as a mod as well, but would be a good feature.
Kaseda

Re: Item Management

Postby caprontos » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:09 am

Barrel management is one of the most suggested things.

The burner is basically the item deletion barrel.. but next update we can terraform so you may not want to delete all the dirt... Adding more items to the burner list would be useful to making it more useful though.. (is a mod for it). If I remember right you just set it the amount you want kept.. and anything over is burned.. So if you want 100 mud, then you set it to 100 and every mud after 100 is burned..

The main thing that needs added is a way to manage many barrels at once.. so you don't have to set them all up.. There are many means to do it.. but I think being able to either select barrels (something-click the ones you want).. and edit multiple that way or being able to set up barrel groups and then setting barrels to the group or both would be the way to go.. It takes to long to edit 50 barrels.. so I usually only use them in specific areas.. and otherwise use the under ground + massive stockpiles for managing items..

A metal barrel could work as the later game barrel with more space.. as.. Alternatively, someone suggested "barrel racks" sometime ago.. where you could just combine a few barrels + a rack to produce more storage in less space.. Also crates could be a thing.. After awhile you have more iron/copper then you could ever realistically need.. so throwing them away on barrel upgrades is just as well. but more space leads to another issue..

Only one townie at a time can haul to a given barrel.. so 10 barrels holding 10 items is faster then one barrel that can hold 100 items.. currently.. So I think if they make barrels bigger, trying to enable multiple people to haul to a barrel would be necessary for them to be really practical.

I made a barrel(and trap) upgrade mod once but.. Upgrading barrels deleted the contents (since it was basically deleting the old item and putting down a new one)... So if they officially added it.. that would need addressed..... I do like the idea of upgrades though and want to see them added for advance traps/barrels/possibly other things.. Saves space in the menus and makes early items not entirely irreverent to build since you will eventually upgrade them anyway..

-As an aside, if you haven't done so.. Locking your extra armor/weapons in rooms will remove them from the equip list, which you might find handy.. In a few games I have gone through the trouble of having rooms for each gear type, so I could open/close whatever type I wanted to use and it won't be considered for auto-equipping so you can easily make them use junker stuff if you wanted to..
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby gilgadash » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:11 pm

They should create a zone called "storage".
In this zone you can place barrels, chests, weapon and armour storage units.
Then you can select the item(s) you want to store in the zone and the citizens will fill the barrels, chests and other storage units whit that stuff.
Everything in the zone will be set to recieve the items as requested by the room, but is limited to what they can handle.
A chest can't get anything else than ETI's and barrels can't contrain weapons.

This way you can make rooms where certain items can be stored and you don't need to do a lot of work.

Whit a new guy working on the game I do hope that this problem is going to be solved, as it makes playing the game over and over again easier.
gilgadash

Postby miljan02 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:24 pm

gilgadash wrote:
Whit a new guy working on the game I do hope that this problem is going to be solved, as it makes playing the game over and over again easier.

Just a small note. The new guy left. The old guy is working on the game again.
miljan02

Postby YetiChow » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:11 am

gilgadash wrote:They should create a zone called "storage".
In this zone you can place barrels, chests, weapon and armour storage units.
Then you can select the item(s) you want to store in the zone and the citizens will fill the barrels, chests and other storage units whit that stuff.
Everything in the zone will be set to recieve the items as requested by the room, but is limited to what they can handle.
A chest can't get anything else than ETI's and barrels can't contrain weapons.

This way you can make rooms where certain items can be stored and you don't need to do a lot of work.

That's basically how stockpiles work - if you set them only to accept barrels, then they work as a room to store that type of item the barrels can store (assuming that the barrels have "accept everything" ticked). I realise that's not quite the same as your suggestion, but I personally prefer the other suggestion to make barrels inherit the stockpile's settings. Then the only other thing to di is give barrels a size of 11 (so that townies don't/can't place barrels inside each other), and stockpiles would become much easier to use.

Currently, one work-around is to build a barrel close to the items you want stored, set it to only accept those items, and then "unlock" it from the ground when they've been stored in it. If there's a stockpile accepting that kind of barrel, then the whole barrel gets moved including all the items. It's a bit fiddly, but has the same overall effect. The good thing is that you can use it to easily organise full sets of armour, weapons etc. - collect a random assortment of gear with an unfiltered stockpile, delete the stockpile and place filtered containers to sort the gear, then build stockpiles that only accept the containers.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby audrey22v » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:42 am

I was surprised he went straight to bed in his personal room rather than to hospital, which was equipped with six unused beds
audrey22v

Return to Suggestions