UI and UI related suggestions

Post here your suggestions for future Towns releases

UI and UI related suggestions

Postby caprontos » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:16 am

Like other like topics.... This is an attempt to amass all the various UI suggestions I can remember.. in to one spot!.. Some are simple.. Some are hard.. some are not really UI.. but oh well.. I didn't know what to call it at the moment so I am going with that!..

Many of these are not ideas I posted first but I am not going to link to all the posts that have the ideas because that's to time consuming..

Feel free to add your own I can try to add them to the main post..

So...
|---------------|
Add a size indicator to selection boxes so we do not have to count.. Like so:

|---------------|
Add top menu bettween the map and the top menu stuff (not sure where else it would work well).. Something like:

Where any of the 16 slots can be changed to any thing from the left right or bottom menu.. so you can make it so you have a custom menu that has things you want easy access to at any time.. This would make building similar buildings quicker (set up the menu with the things you need.. and can do everything from one menu..).. Or to keep track of multiple production things so you don't have to switch between menus...

Maybe you can right click any tab and "add to hot bar" and when its full it will replace the last one... and in the hot bar you can right click - remove stuff..

|---------------|
Change the stock panel number so it displays number stored out of how many are in the world.. like:

(perhaps also an option to toggle stockpiled only items or any item..)

|---------------|
An action like the mass delete scafold toll that works on any wall block.. (Townie would move beside the block and destroy it like mining I suppose..)... While many want this to be an instant delete tool.. I personally think the destroy command can be removed (or added to a "cheat" menu that could be turned on/off in the settings or when you make a map..) and be replaced with a townie driven tool... .. Maybe all placed items could be destroyed with a destroy command.. and all lose items could be destroyed with the burner..

|---------------|
Add a tool to "unstick" placed objects like tables and chairs so they can be moved.

|---------------|
Add another panel that contains details about the town and shows various stats... (add a Name town option.. then things like total gold made/spent.. current gold.. Times visited by caravans.. Times sieges.. Monsters killed.. Just stuff.. I guess..

If possible a line chart or something that shows when events happened.. maybe dived by months or years (depending )..

Then have this all turned in to a findable item*or an item build-able) that is spawned with the town when buried... wee.... Ok that's not a UI suggestion..

|---------------|
Add some form of mass barrel management .. either through selecting multiple barrels.. or a way to group barrels.. or something..

|---------------|
Add a better right click menu.. its kinda outdated..

|---------------|
Add a tool tip to where utilities and farms for what they go on..

|---------------|
Add a way to easily remove all of a units patrol points..

|---------------|
Make it so when placing an order, if the order is on the air the game will check and see if there is something for it to glue to before oking the order.. This way orders can't be placed in spots the order will fail because it has nothing to glue to.. (Should remove most issues with placing orders in the wrong layer.. or other spots where it will just fall)..

|---------------|
Add a way to set road usages priority up and down.. (if only to find out what works best..)... Some people would prefer if townies used roads regardless if they found a "quicker" path.. and some don't care so much.. This option could be a way to find the best value for roads.. or leave it up to the player to pick..

|---------------|
The ability to zoom out and rotate the game would be nice..

|---------------|
Edit the stock panel so pages have the same sup pages as barrels.. I think it'd make it easier to find things.. and make stuff more universal..

|---------------|
Perhaps make it so you can drag priorities around in the priorities list instead of using the arrows.. to do it quicker.. It can be annoying to shuffle it some times...

|---------------|
Longer term thought but and option to open a much larger map that shows the entire map.. perhaps with little townie/hero/guard heads - could be nice..

|---------------|
A screen shot whole layer key.. for.. obvious reasons .. Is fine if this forces the game to pause while it does it of course.. if it will take time..

|---------------|
Have it so every time a day completes it adds a timestamps to all the announcement/message boards.. (maybe make it so this doesn't make them flash)

|---------------|
Add a way to open a mini-window that is like a mini camera that follows a townie or hero around..

|---------------|
Add in the option to enable "smarter" building... Where if a townie goes to place a wall block and can't he'll drop his block - place a scaffold that opens the path then pick his block back up and finishes his task.

Also it would make it so if an item needs another item, like say you want to build the anvil.. which needs tongs and a stone hammer0 the game would check if you have tongs and a stone hammer.. and if not auto-place an order for them along with the anvil.. so you don't need to manually place orders for all.

Also this would make it so if a townie is trapped he will attampt to place scaffold to escape..

|---------------|
Divide up hauling in to a few categories...
Food stuff, raw mats above ground, and raw mats below ground

This way you can have haulers for your food... surface stuff and then dangerous stuff.. Having only one to haul them all... Isn't really the best.

|---------------|
Add a number on the priorities that just shows how many people have that propriety enabled.. So you can see it easily..

|---------------|
Add a number int he townie panel that displays number of personal rooms used / number of personal rooms placed.. (ie population/max possible population).. This could even go on the main townie icon I guess..

Likewise for heroes/tavern rooms placed..

|---------------|
Add a number near the add/pause/subtract speed buttons.. that shows current game speed.

|---------------|
Make other-stats visible perhaps.. such as LOS.. Speed.. fatigue/boredom counters.. some people would like to see more stats...

|---------------|
Add a running timer above the map or somewhere that's out of the way on the screen (maybe toggle-able on and off) that just starts when game starts.. pauses when game pauses and counts to like 2880 and resets.. *this would make it double as a clock since days are 2880).. The main reason is sometimes I want a way to time stuff using the in-game timer .. and currently the only way to do that is to use the sleep/eat timers which is kinda annoying..

|---------------|
Add a "Rules" panel.. (perhaps in the suggested town panel) where you can set all the "rules" of the town.. like how deep you can haul from or explore or trade with caravans or auto equip or manual equip... depending what all you want to add.. And have name/description of each rule .. This would be better I think then having the placed randomly in the townie and hero page.. and give you more room to work..

|---------------|
A hot key to reselect the last selected item (maybe pressed again will cycle it back through a few)... sometimes you forget to shift click .. and would be nicer then having to go back through the menu to get it ... or to cycle through a few things..

|---------------|
In the mini map make it so if there is nothing above a wall block it is visible on every layer above it.. like a house roof.. Rather then only on the layer it exists on.. Ie make wall blocks counted same as terrain (which will update on every layer if changed)

|---------------|
Add in a way to lock equip slots so the townie will never switch that equip slot during auto equip unless unlocked.. or manually told to.

|---------------|
Make it so when the caravan displays the items that can be sold, it only checks the down to the lowest allowed layer for hauling.. This way you don't tell them to sell items they can't get to..

|---------------|
Add some way to select multiple townies (like a check box) to assign many at once to a group or to be a soldier and so on..

|---------------|
Perhaps a way to set how many people to assign to each group.. so when new people come they get auto-placed in to groups that have less people then you set to have in it.. This way if some one dies new people auto-fill there spots.. (if people don't want to use this they would just leave the number at 0 and no one is auto-placed)..

|---------------|

That's all I got..

Again feel free to add your own.
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Re: UI and UI related suggestions

Postby johanwanderer » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:55 am

How about when we try to build a floor / roof (or pretty much anything that can be mass constructed), turn the the unconnected cells (any cells that cannot actually be built) red, and don't actually queue a build action there. That would reduce a lot of complains about tiles falling down, etc. when people try to build stuff on air.
johanwanderer

Postby caprontos » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:08 am

johanwanderer wrote:How about when we try to build a floor / roof (or pretty much anything that can be mass constructed), turn the the unconnected cells (any cells that cannot actually be built) red, and don't actually queue a build action there. That would reduce a lot of complains about tiles falling down, etc. when people try to build stuff on air.

I think this one:
Make it so when placing an order, if the order is on the air the game will check and see if there is something for it to glue to before oking the order.. This way orders can't be placed in spots the order will fail because it has nothing to glue to.. (Should remove most issues with placing orders in the wrong layer.. or other spots where it will just fall)..

Would solve it.. since diagonals and such wouldn't get oked..

Alternatively but harder would be to place the order but have it paused till it has a spot that is glue-able .. *maybe a part of the smarter building thought*..
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby Niranufoti » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:21 am

Another, thing that's pretty much for the looks: Add an option that auto-equips a group, but tries to give all of the Townies the same equip. Example:
If you have 4 Townies in the group, three Golden Chestplates, but four Ghoulite Chestplates, they wouldn't auto-equip the Golden chestplates, but the Ghoulite ones.
I'd like to see this added because most of my Townie groups have standardized equipment so I can immediately see what group a Townie belongs to.
Niranufoti

Postby Rico379 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:10 pm

Staff promote Caprontos on your team pls ;)
Sorry for my bad english mates.
Rico379

Postby Spiffor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:04 pm

Hello, first post here :)

I was thinking of a few UI simple suggestions, that would improve the game experience.

1) When queuing up production in the left menu
Right now, you need one click to increase (or decrease) the production by one unit. Say, when I want to produce 150 red color at once, I have to click the "plus" button 150 times.
My suggestions for this are :
- allow for continuous clicking. Maybe give some lag (say, one second) before the game understands the player is clicking continuously : this way, a one-click won't be mistaken for a continuous click.
- Let the player select the amount of production asked (be it one-time job, or minimal stock required), and let him write directly how much he wants.

2) Improving production queue when the task is impossible
Right now, when I ask impossible tasks (say, making blue color while I don't have enough blue flowers or blue gel), my one-shot orders get cancelled. This does not apply with the minimum-stock order.
Rather than cancelling the task, I suggest to show the player that it's impossible (for example, the game could display the numbers in the menu in italic, or in red). But rather that cancelling the task, the game could put it "on hold", and then frequently check if the prerequisite is finally fulfilled.

3) An idea on how to implement multiple selection
I'm not the only one thinking about selecting multiple objects at the same time. Many people would like to mass manage their containers, or to mass destroy their obsolete walls, withouth having to click them one by one.

Here's my idea on "how" to do it, which seems to fit in the way the game actually works :
- Make a new "select" order, in the bottom menu, similar to "chop".
- The player will first click on the map to create his "selection square".
- When the player expands the "selection square", the game will actually select only the exact same item, on the same height level. Just like, when you click "gather", and no matter how you draw your selection square, only the "gather-able" items will be actually acted upon.
For example, let's say I first click a Raw Material Barrel at level 1, and then I draw a big "selection square". At the end, only Raw Material Barrels at level 1, within the "selection square" I drawed, will get actually selected.
- When the player finishes drawing the "selection square", show the contextual menu (the one you get when you right click on one item). The selected items are exactly the same, so that menu should be simple.

I'm sure there may be more elegant ways to do multiple selection. However, this way is very similar to how the game already works, and shouldn't be too hard to implement.

4) Manually equipping townies : show which items are in "safe" levels
I suggest that, when clicking on a slot to equip a townie, the game displays differently items that are on "safe" levels (at least, those where I allow my townies to haul), and items that are on "dangerous" levels.
For example, let's say I want to equip a leather snickerite armor. I believed mistakenly that my last one waited at my forge, when in fact, the available item is in the level full of monsters - where I don't allow my townies to haul things. My townie died for this mistake.
I wouldn't have made that mistake if the game had showed the item was in a "forbidden" level. For example, these items might be written in italic, or something like that.

Hoping these suggestions help !
Spiffor

Postby Niranufoti » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:13 pm

Spiffor wrote:-snip-

Welcome to the forums. As for your suggestions:
  1. Hold shift or ctrl, that may solve your problem.
  2. +1 for that
  3. Would be pretty nice, but we'd also need something to multi-select livings
  4. Yeah, that would be good, or with a red exclamation sign in front.
Niranufoti

Postby YetiChow » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:54 am

Niranufoti wrote:
Spiffor wrote:-snip-

Welcome to the forums. As for your suggestions:
  1. Hold shift or ctrl, that may solve your problem.
  2. +1 for that
  3. Would be pretty nice, but we'd also need something to multi-select livings
  4. Yeah, that would be good, or with a red exclamation sign in front.

^ completely agree with those emendations.

a few of my own:

for no.3, you can use shift to "spread" an order once you've given it, not just to multi-place items. For example, if you hold shift while issuing a kill order you can drag a selection box over an area, killing all of the same animals. That goes halfway to solving the issue already; and if we could get that extended to selection (i.e. hold shift while right-clicking a barrel, then drag an area to select all the barrels) it would make things much easier.

For no.4, it could just say the level it's sitting on in brackets after the item (maybe as 'layer X' since lvl is already taken for gear level). Another thing would be to make it so townies can't auto-equip armour if it's on a level they're block from (i.e. below the cutoff you set for tasks... that really does need to be fixed); but I still see the first part being useful for times you have several open (safe) levels but would prefer your townies to stay near the town.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby addseo2015 » Sun May 17, 2015 5:57 am

A nice starter map with iron, coal, and jungle on the surface.
sbobet
addseo2015

Postby BlueSteelAUS » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:53 am

the starter map can be done.. much the same way the tutorial maps are done now. yor even make a new random map with the settings like your after... as for most of the other suggestions they may indeed never bee seen and as for making someone part of the staff not going to happen as there is no staff he but me at the moment and i'm here cause i retired and no ones there to accept my resignation lol
BlueSteelAUS

Return to Suggestions