Towns group on Steam

General discussion about the game

Re: Towns group on Steam

Postby GreyFalcon » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:54 pm

Sadly it has never been that way in reverse (steam key ---> Standalone) but one can hope. I purchased it through steam anyway but really hope a standalone will come alone at some point. ;)
It's not if we win or lose that matters, it's how we stood and faced it.

Check out some of my writing at: http://Writing.Com/authors/greyfalcon
GreyFalcon

Postby InPinkClover » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:01 pm

I just visited the forum/group on Steam ... it's depressing. Nothing but complaints and the like. I learn far more here and, for the most part, the people are much more pleasant. :)
InPinkClover

Postby daft43 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:29 pm

InPinkClover wrote:I just visited the forum/group on Steam ... it's depressing. Nothing but complaints and the like. I learn far more here and, for the most part, the people are much more pleasant. :)

Ya, one unfortunate part about Steam, the community is..at times hostile :twisted: to say the least. It may be that I'm not quite as young anymore, so the brass 12-20somthings may seem short-sided. I grew up in the dawn of gaming(2600's, Vectrex, Colicovision, ect...), I've grown to appreciate the work it takes to get it done. The next gen has come to expect instant gratification, perfect, mindblowing..ect.

All good though, that's what these forums are for! ;)
daft43

Postby rumboon » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Not fair to say the STEAM community is bad. People mostly complain there to say their feelings as on the official forums those posts would be deleted. But then not all companies say their game is doable/enjoyable, etc. while the game is pre-alpha.
rumboon

Postby Tatsko » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:48 am

Steam is pretty new to indie games. Granted, they've been supporting them for years now, but only recently with the implementation of their Greenlight system have they really embraced the truly indie side of gaming, the games with 2-3 man teams and little publicity. Give them time, they'll warm up to the small games :D I myself found this game on Steam, but I've been an indie supporter outside of Steam for years now as well.
I'm a fledgeling modder at the moment, check me out!
More 'fixes'
Tatsko

Postby InPinkClover » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:10 pm

rumboon wrote:Not fair to say the STEAM community is bad. People mostly complain there to say their feelings as on the official forums those posts would be deleted. But then not all companies say their game is doable/enjoyable, etc. while the game is pre-alpha.

Of course it's fair, it's my opinion based on reading the Steam community posts (not blaming Steam, they simply provide the forum).
In my case I've played over 222 hours. It's obviously doable/enjoyable, etc.

As for these official forums deleting negative posts ... they obviously do not remove all of them. But to be honest, I'm glad they keep the crap to a minimum (there are proper channels for complaints, suggestions, etc). I don't want to spend my time weeding thru negative comments that often times have easy solutions (upgraded Java lately?!). I want to read how players play, how to improve the way we play, etc. Much more enjoyable use of my time.

I think age might have something to do with how things are perceived. I guess I have learned too much about all the true injustices of the world (been hungry lately? lost your home? no job? sick/in pain/dying because of lack of health care? abused? tortured?) to be angry over a game designed for entertainment purposes. :)
InPinkClover

Postby tom k. » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:09 pm

rumboon wrote:Not fair to say the STEAM community is bad. People mostly complain there to say their feelings as on the official forums those posts would be deleted. But then not all companies say their game is doable/enjoyable, etc. while the game is pre-alpha.

Firstly, the game isn't "pre-alpha" (does that term even exist?), its not alpha, it's not even beta. It's released. We had an internal, closed beta, then pushed out to release on the steam launch. Secondly, we haven't and won't delete any post here just because it shines a negative light on our game. We aren't like that. If you have a valid point, we like to hear it.
Tom K.
Former Community Moderator

Please read the FAQs before posting.
Towns' Official Modding Partner Site - Townsmods.net
tom k.

Postby Neat » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:41 am

Pre-alpha is a term, but the game isn't it.

Also, you can't start a game on an "internal closed beta" it would have started at alpha somewhere.

A release candidate or release subject is supposed to be a phase when all features have been designed, coded and tested without any gamebreaking bugs. Since you're still adding features, you can't really call it that.

Secondly, since a beta is supposed to be "feature complete" but probably buggy you can't really call it a beta either. Which is why everyone is calling your game an alpha. You can't just make up the definition of these phases and then say your game conforms to them.
Neat

Postby tom k. » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:17 pm

Yes, alpha was the past year. Beta was internal, and closed, between the 11th of October ad 7th of November. No features were added during the beta, just some big fixes.

All features advertised and intended for the release were in, and all other features will be added later in a series of patches. RC for indie games isn't what it used to be. Most indie games add things later these days, because they don't have the facilities for adding every possible feature.
Tom K.
Former Community Moderator

Please read the FAQs before posting.
Towns' Official Modding Partner Site - Townsmods.net
tom k.

Postby Colombo » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:38 pm

To be honest, I completly agree with you. Steam release was quite a bit fail and game should had been more polished, mainly from GUI perspective. And that the problems came in realy wrong time. I am quite annoyed by sort of slowed developement and I am all for the point of "business is business".
But, I have already morfed into fan:(
Colombo

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion