oh wow guess ill join both hahahaha
Duskwood
12 Citizens 0 Soldiers 2 Deaths
August 1st year
V8a
doctorword

Re: Towns group on Steam

Postby jungleninja » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:17 pm

Wow, thanks for making a group there. I wish I could join, but I cant play the game! It doesnt work!
jungleninja

Postby doctorword » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:24 pm

you can still join and tom and or someone that can correct your situation will get to you soon boss please be patient. Making the same posts about your game not working isn't going to help you get it solved any quicker. From what I understand it's 2 devs...hope everything gets fixed for you shortly.
Duskwood
August 1st year
V8a
doctorword

Postby jungleninja » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:58 pm

doctorword wrote:you can still join and tom and or someone that can correct your situation will get to you soon boss please be patient. Making the same posts about your game not working isn't going to help you get it solved any quicker. From what I understand it's 2 devs...hope everything gets fixed for you shortly.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping for an official reply. But I guess when you bring out a game on a system, you dont monitor the forums. But then maybe they are busy fixing the problem. I hope though. Paying for a game 10 euros and not being able to play is a bad case. Why I posted on more places than one, is, to make the possibility that someone reads it and helps more of a chance than on one space.

But again, thanks for the reply. I appreciate it!
jungleninja

Postby doctorword » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:10 pm

I understand your frustrations and hope it's corrected by end of the day!
Duskwood
August 1st year
V8a
doctorword

Postby tom k. » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:17 pm

jungleninja wrote:
doctorword wrote:you can still join and tom and or someone that can correct your situation will get to you soon boss please be patient. Making the same posts about your game not working isn't going to help you get it solved any quicker. From what I understand it's 2 devs...hope everything gets fixed for you shortly.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping for an official reply. But I guess when you bring out a game on a system, you dont monitor the forums. But then maybe they are busy fixing the problem. I hope though. Paying for a game 10 euros and not being able to play is a bad case. Why I posted on more places than one, is, to make the possibility that someone reads it and helps more of a chance than on one space.

But again, thanks for the reply. I appreciate it!

How don't we monitor our forums? You posted your issue and complained we hadnt fixed it less than an hour later. We have hundreds of support threads and posts to sort through. We are trying. I have replied to your thread here on the forums, and I think on steam too.
Tom K.
Former Community Moderator

Please read the FAQs before posting.
Towns' Official Modding Partner Site - Townsmods.net
tom k.

Postby smithforge » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:33 am

Just installed steam yesterday (actually, there was a long time ago when I installed the first steam when it came out bundled with half-life orange box? but steam was a totally different animal then). Was trying out AirMech, but also decided to stop-by Towns.

Went in to take a look at towns section and here are a few comments which will hopefully be useful (to dev) if they have not been said yet.

1) We need a link back to these forums. While general discussion etc can take place in independent groups, the modding community (and I think modding makes up half the fun) is strongly based here with no signs of intention to re-based. So while the game-talk and steam-version-support forums can be used there, we prob need links back to resources here. With the proper linkages, mods and community support, I think it can greatly increase the appeal of the game. (The most obvious example is myself. I find most of my fun messing with the game's mod-able engine, which originally started out when I fix certain stuff I am not content with. Even by simply being able to "fix" certain issues, it increases the content-level of the gameplay)

2) The descriptions on the steam site may need to be improved. While declaring alpha/beta status may be bad for encouraging somebody to pay for it, not giving the nuance at least may give new people who encounters the game the first time a wrong level of expectation. This may give rise to feedback that may not be fair to the game (including future potential) which may damage the opinion of new potential players.
Perhaps utilize words like "pre-order", which usually sits better esp for people who have become fans (iow, the people are not buying the beta, they are buying the final game with advanced payment). Also, I am not sure whether it is possible within the steam system, but providing the limited demo as it is now could be better in the long run. (It may cut down "immediate sales" but it will also cut-down issues that could damage the reputation and mood of the community in the long run). Maybe should check out how others are doing (and how the community receives them. adopt the good, avoid the bad)

3) Not sure if it is possible, but could there be a way to get the non-steam version even if purchased via steam? The reason is that sometimes, we don't want to play a mostly independent game app with a huge monster service behind. E.g. current towns can be carried around and play on any machine. But steam-version? we need to install the whole steam monster, which is unlikely esp for machines which are not owned solely by the player. (unless I am mistaken and there are options to allow steam to deliver non-encrypted, stand-alone versions?)
Despite my involvement in modding, I actually have not purchased the game yet. My "buy meter" (courtesy Sims 2:OFB) is already full, but the current issue I have is the payment method (I feel touchy on e-trading via unfamiliar service provider, no offence to BMT Micro). Payment through steam however is totally acceptable for me. Only issue I have atm is that if I get the steam-version, Towns will be dependent on the whole steams framework (it doesn't make use of all the advanced steam interfacing, but just the encryption part, which makes steam a super white-elephant that cannot be ridden of). But if there is a way to pay via steam but get the normal version, I'll flip my "buy meter" immediately. Who knows, there could be others like me?

Hope there is something useful that can be fished out of there.
Great work, congratz and good luck to the devs!

btw, is there something free in the steams framework that could hopefully allow us to share mod resources in a better way?
smithforge

Postby GreyFalcon » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:17 am

@smithforge,

I feel your pain with Steam being a white elephant. There is the option of "Go Offline..." under the steam menu in steam. This lets you play the games offline without connecting to steam. Just need to have all your account info put into steam, then start the game at least once, then switch to offline mode. There is also a way to force the offline mode without being connected to the internet if you don't mind a pain in the rear process.

If a stand alone version is available to those of us who purchased through steam for the same unsure/uneasiness with an unknown purchase engine (no offense to BMT Micro) it would be wonderful.

To answer your last question, steam has their 'Workshop' framework that would probably work wonderfully for the modding community as a 'mod manager' type engine. Though I've never used it as a modder, I've used it in other games.

Hope this helps with some of your answers.
It's not if we win or lose that matters, it's how we stood and faced it.

Check out some of my writing at: http://Writing.Com/authors/greyfalcon
GreyFalcon

Postby Colombo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:47 am

smithforge wrote:Despite my involvement in modding, I actually have not purchased the game yet.

Wait? Dafuck?
Colombo

Postby smithforge » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:21 am

GreyFalcon wrote:@smithforge,

I feel your pain with Steam being a white elephant. There is the option of "Go Offline..." under the steam menu in steam. This lets you play the games offline without connecting to steam. Just need to have all your account info put into steam, then start the game at least once, then switch to offline mode. There is also a way to force the offline mode without being connected to the internet if you don't mind a pain in the rear process.

If a stand alone version is available to those of us who purchased through steam for the same unsure/uneasiness with an unknown purchase engine (no offense to BMT Micro) it would be wonderful.

To answer your last question, steam has their 'Workshop' framework that would probably work wonderfully for the modding community as a 'mod manager' type engine. Though I've never used it as a modder, I've used it in other games.

Hope this helps with some of your answers.

thanks for the reply.

re: steam
It doesn't matter whether it goes online or offline. The white elephant is in that steam has to be installed on the machine AND steam service has to be running. This is a lot of pain compared to "unzip and run". Unless there are more pluses towards stuff like community or workshop in the future, involving steam for a simple app like Towns(atm) is actually a big minus (payment method aside).

Still, the workshop etc will probably not be on the horizon for some time, at least until the base app stabilizes. Right now, I think there is still too much possible flunctuations in design.

Colombo wrote:
smithforge wrote:Despite my involvement in modding, I actually have not purchased the game yet.

Wait? Dafuck?

Actually, I have not really played Towns for a long time. It could be because that I am a little more "noisy" in forum which gives the impression that I have. But I really only started ard 0.60 demo. And most of my "playing" involves experimenting via mods which doesn't really require a long game.

And really, even if I don't carry on playing, personally, I felt that the "fun" I had modding the demo more than justify the price. My obstacle, as I've mentioned, is the payment methods (think more paranoid people like me greatly prefers online transaction systems that we have used before). But when Town goes on Steam, it solves that part of the problem. Now the only wish I have is to see whether the purchase->steam key works in reverse: steam key->standalone version?

Keeping my fingers crossed while waiting for dev to reply...
smithforge

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion