Unfortunate tale.

General discussion about the game

Unfortunate tale.

Postby Baskingner » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:15 pm

So, i was lurking the forums for a few week now, reading a few topics to get back into it but then noticed this unfortunatly:

These are the dates Xavi signed up and logged in for the last time. He logged in for the last time for more then 6 weeks ago, this is getting rediculous, is the game still being worked on but he was not longer living at home? As far as i was concerned the game was still in slow development but without Xavi it ain't happening, is it? What happened with this community? This used to be such a nice place with active people helping eachother out and playing fun forum games. Nowadays everyone seems fighting eachother and the only moderater locking every single thread that gives critique or goes offtopic.

I dont care how far offtopic this goes, i would like an answer.

Power doesn't corrupt people, People corrupt power.
Baskingner

Re: Unfortunate tale.

Postby BlueSteelAUS » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:38 pm

Yes Towns is Still ACTIVELY being worked on. I Spoke to Xavi last night my time , They still aren't home again, Renovations are ongoing, They are living in a small place near other family, its so cold there and very hard to stay focused.
So, the answer is YES its still being worked on SLOWLY where they are I believe is little to no internet at all. so little to no communication till they move back after renovations are done

As for going OFFTOPIC thats not an option.

There could be more news on the horizon that I can't go into at the moment. More on that as things progress
BlueSteelAUS

Postby YetiChow » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:15 pm

Baskingner wrote: This used to be such a nice place with active people helping eachother out and playing fun forum games. Nowadays everyone seems fighting eachother and the only moderater locking every single thread that gives critique or goes offtopic.

Yeah, that's the saddest effect of the mess - the good parts of the community like those friendly games have got dragged down into it; and the people who were making this community so great were turned away for one reason or another. That one big argument has swallowed up the other topics.

But, fortunately, there is something we can do about that - we can go back talking about the stuff we actually enjoy talking about. If the topic of this thread is "dang, I miss the old vibe and how much fun we were having"; then would it be off-topic to start talking about how we could get that vibe back? :?

After all, there's the off topic (not to mention rude) stuff like guessing Ben's and Xavi's personal info about what's going on in their lives; but that's a different matter altogether from the "good kind" of topic change we used to see where threads evolved and the discussion gained dimensions. I'm sure that if we stick to the latter and keep the discussion moving along pleasantly then nobody will have a problem with it :roll: :lol:

But, if the topic is "so what's really going on now?", I spoke to Xavi last night as well and he told me that Towns is not being abandoned. What that means I won't speculate on; I hope it's made clearer soon...
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Hyrus » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:42 pm

BlueSteelAUS wrote:Yes Towns is Still ACTIVELY being worked on. I Spoke to Xavi last night my time , They still aren't home again, Renovations are ongoing, They are living in a small place near other family, its so cold there and very hard to stay focused.
So, the answer is YES its still being worked on SLOWLY where they are I believe is little to no internet at all. so little to no communication till they move back after renovations are done

As for going OFFTOPIC thats not an option.

There could be more news on the horizon that I can't go into at the moment. More on that as things progress

Really? House renovations now? And you want people to be supportive...
Hyrus

Postby YetiChow » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:23 am

Just to clarify, the statement wasn't "it will actively be worked on", it was "is actively being worked on".

What has been said so far is "there have been developments but nothing worth speculating over", so is it any wonder that the speculation is considered problematic? The changelog is still the most accurate statement of the current state of the game; all BlueSteel really said was "don't give up hope" in response to Baskinger's question. Now, I'm sure that everyone involved in these developments would like to say more; but the fact is that it's too early to make any promises. When/if there's something to show as tangible proof, you can be sure you won't be able to miss it. But, in the meantime, it's a waiting game for ALL of us - and believe me I wish it were otherwise :lol:

I was trying to move the conversation onto other, more productive topics since speculation isn't going to help anyone right now. But perhaps I was too subtle. So here's a less subtle version:

There has been active development work done since the last time Xavi logged in here, and there will continue to be active development work done until someone says otherwise. However, it's too early to say whether this development work will amount to anything worth releasing. That's the nature of development work; and no amount of pressuring for information will change the fact that there's simply too much up in the air at the moment to make any guarantees. However, I do know for certain that nobody on the Towns team plans is letting Towns fall into abandonment; work is being done on Towns.

BlueSteel and I haven't been told not to talk about it; we've just reached the agreement that we're going to wait until the proof is in the pudding to make any announcements. Xavi still isn't in regular contact, and it will be a while (weeks or months, not days) before he's back in his own house; so the three of us have agreed to hold off on any big announcements until there's something tangible to back them up. The reason for that decision is because we knew this is exactly the response we'd get to anything we said; and the only reason BlueSteel said anything at all was to address the concerns of someone directly asking about the state of Towns. We can't say how Towns will turn out yet; but we can say that it hasn't been abandoned and there are no plans to abandon it.
Last edited by YetiChow on Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Baskingner » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:29 am

But, if the topic is "so what's really going on now?", I spoke to Xavi last night as well and he told me that Towns is not being abandoned. What that means I won't speculate on; I hope it's made clearer soon...

That is great news! Happy to hear that. To be honest the only guy i remember is YetiChow from "back in the days" when there used to be like 6 forum games at the same time. I really liked that and when i had to leave the community due to personal reasons i found it a real shame. I was legitimatly upset that i had to leave because such good times were had on these forums. That seemed to have changed and that is something i really dont like. Dont get me wrong i LOVE towns and i LOVE its concept but i hate what happened to it. Sorry to bring it this rude but i find the community a mere shadow of its former self. There are still plenty of awesome people here who still are active and i still talk to every now and then but i feel the community lacks cohesion. I am not going to blame anyone since that wont help at all, same goes for towns development, instead lets try to keep things nice here and maybe towns will see the light of day again.

@Bluesteel My OP wasnt ment to be rude against you btw, i just read it back and realised that it might have sounded a bit rude. 2 years ago this community didnt need a moderator because a fight was really rare, that seemed to have changed and i fully understand that youre doing what you need to do.

@Yeti i couldnt agree more, glad to see youre still here! I really do miss the old vibe. With "Offtopic" i ment a civilized discussion where possible, insults or accusations without proof shouldnt be part of that ofcourse ;) .

@Muzzy, i think i do faintly remember you. Like i said to YetiChow i would hate to see this topic closed because some people have to be rude, thats what i ment with "i dont care if this goes offtopic, i want an answer". The discussion of towns development is a legit one, hence why i posted this. Things have grown so grimm that only 32% of the steam community can recommend this game (a company should be worried if it goes below 70% in my opinion) so lets find a way to get that up again.

Power doesn't corrupt people, People corrupt power.
Baskingner

Postby itsJaeger » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:31 am

What i cannot understand, is why you guys are leaving it up to Xavi? IS he the sole owner of the game now? Because there are plenty of devs that would love to help finish this off and wouldnt make excuses every week. i myself even made a 3d isometric game in java in little under a month. Why not let other devs finish the game for you? it would make your fans happy. or at least be more transparent as to why things are the way they are, other than "wait for xavi" :S
itsJaeger

Postby Tridon » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:19 am

@BlueSteelAUS: Have you had any contact with him these last months? It's almost been a year since any of them logged in. Of all my games on Steam, this is still one of the games I love the most. Oh well.
Tridon

Postby BlueSteelAUS » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:00 am

xavi was the last to work on towns, i'm still activly working on my mod towns++. there are still others playing the game and moding it too. the steam group seem to have more activity than here. so you may want to try there. seeing as i'm satill moderator on here i'll try to keep the forum going till it crashes or gets taken down
BlueSteelAUS

Return to General discussion