Is towns back online?

General discussion about the game

Re: Is towns back online?

Postby tom k. » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:15 pm

muzzy wrote:
Locklave wrote:I'm not sure why I keep coming back to check. I build a bit of hope and the process repeats without fail.

I lost hope when he appointed bullies as moderators and left them to handle the community. In an unsurprising turn of events, the community is dead now.

I for one have no information, before I receive 50 PMs. Also, am I included in the list of "bullies as moderators"? Curious.
Tom K.
Former Community Moderator

Please read the FAQs before posting.
Towns' Official Modding Partner Site - Townsmods.net
tom k.

Postby muzzy » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:19 pm

tom k. wrote:Also, am I included in the list of "bullies as moderators"? Curious.

Nope, you were always here ever since I joined and I think you're okay.

I meant the two new moderators, especially the steam forum moderator who went on a crusade to completely destroy the community because he didn't like the way it was, threatening to use his moderator powers (and using them too) when people didn't agree with his opinions etc.

BlueSteelAus isn't that bad though, I'm mainly upset about his behavior before he got moderator powers. Unlike the other new moderator, he seems to understand that being a moderator is not a privilege but a responsibility, and I respect him for that although I don't really like him.
muzzy

Postby BlueSteelAUS » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:38 am

there isn't a new moderator on these forums, I'm the latest one that's been given that responsibility. and that only happened after Tom K Retired as Forum moderator. from memory there are only 3 moderators on this forum now caprontos, EnvizionRev, and myself. (to get a list of us memberlist.php?mode=leaders) ALL of us moderators are answerable to Xavi, If you have any gripes with how things have been handled then feel free to contact Xavi (supermalparit) on the media that your problem relates to. We moderators are called to please explain our actions every time someone on the forums PM's Xavi with a complaint as to our actions, we have to site why we did what we did and why. IF he disagrees with our decisions he over rules them. So its not moderators that make the final call.

Please get back on Topic. "Is towns back online?" as far as I know its never been offline. it has come close , and has been falsely reported as been abandoned a few times in a few sources in the past, My last contact with Xavi he was still working on it, So as far as i know its still alive and kicking.
BlueSteelAUS

Postby muzzy » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:48 am

BlueSteelAUS wrote:there isn't a new moderator on these forums

I was referring to the Steam forums as well and what happened there. Specifically, what YetiChow has been doing there. You know, the official forums are not the entire community. I could write an essay about this but I'm not going to bother because it makes no difference what I say about it, so I'm just signaling my annoyance with these snide remarks. Oh, and Xavi doesn't seem to want to do anything about it, I got the impression that he doesn't actually follow the community at all.

Either way, the damage is already done and the community is mostly dead as a result. The main reason I'm still here is because I want to see how this whole thing eventually ends.
muzzy

Postby miljan02 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:30 am

The result would be same with bans or not. Banning few people from which 2 where banned for a reason and where trolls, would not call killing the community, as they where not the one in the first place. The community died a long time ago.

BlueSteelAUS wrote:Please get back on Topic. "Is towns back online?" as far as I know its never been offline. it has come close , and has been falsely reported as been abandoned a few times in a few sources in the past, My last contact with Xavi he was still working on it, So as far as i know its still alive and kicking.

And when was your last contact with Xavi?
miljan02

Postby muzzy » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:15 am

Back in October Xavi told about the house renovations and how it interfered with work. After that he made minor additions to the changelog, and the last time he logged in here (November 10th) he said there were no news.

We don't know if he's working on something big that takes a long time to finish (animal feeding rehaul?), or if those minor unpublished changes are the only things he has done in the past few months.

The fact that next version is called v15 supports the theory that he's working on something big. Also the fact that he hasn't released the latest minor changes as an individual patch (the way he did with v14e) supports the theory of big changes under work, the codebase could be in a state that can't produce public builds right now. (I'm assuming his workflow doesn't involve a version control system with feature branches or any other measures to separate experimental work from the rest of the changes)

He hasn't said anything about what he's doing, though, so I'm not very eager to make the optimistic assumption. He hasn't even logged onto the forums for a month. It's also unusual for software developers to solely work on a single major feature for such a long time without touching anything else in the meanwhile. There should have been more minor things to add to the changelog even if he's working on something big right now. There should have been something to talk about.

Draw your own conclusions. Realistically speaking the only thing we know is that there hasn't been any signs of activity for a while now, we know nothing about the reasons. Personally I tend to jump to worst possible interpretation when that happens, and I know a bunch of people here tend to stick to the best possible interpretation. Both interpretations are plausible though, so let's enjoy this great disagreement. Hail Eris! All Hail Discordia!
muzzy

Postby miljan02 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:28 am

He is not working on the game at the moment. The reason I say so is that in the past, every time, and I mean every time he worked on the game you would see him visit the forum here and there and update the patch notes or look in the bug/support section of the forum.

Every time when he was afk for a longer time (more than a month) it meant he did not work on the game for what ever reasons (as we saw later, is it because of his personal problems, getting burned out or some other excuse), and i think its safe to say its same thing now.
miljan02

Postby Locklave » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:01 pm

BlueSteelAUS wrote:If you have any gripes with how things have been handled then feel free to contact Xavi (supermalparit) on the media that your problem relates to. We moderators are called to please explain our actions every time someone on the forums PM's Xavi with a complaint as to our actions, we have to site why we did what we did and why. IF he disagrees with our decisions he over rules them. So its not moderators that make the final call.

The problem is if Xavi can't be contacted the moderators are the final word, I've been trying to contact Xavi for more then 1 month and all contacts before that point told me there would be a resolution. There is no resolution and I'm just left hanging in limbo.

Regarding Steam forums for the record.
Locklave

Postby muzzy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:53 pm

Locklave wrote:I've been trying to contact Xavi for more then 1 month and all contacts before that point told me there would be a resolution. There is no resolution and I'm just left hanging in limbo.

Oh, he stopped responding to your emails, too?

The very last response I got from him, he said he didn't want me to leave and he would talk to Yeti. A few days later Yeti permbanned me from Steam forums and Xavi no longer replied anything at all. Yeti claimed he never received any messages about his moderation practices, so either Yeti was lying or Xavi never talked to him about his behavior.

But as I said earlier, I could write an essay about this but it's not going to make any difference whatsoever.
muzzy

Postby YetiChow » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:39 am

muzzy wrote:
Locklave wrote:I've been trying to contact Xavi for more then 1 month and all contacts before that point told me there would be a resolution. There is no resolution and I'm just left hanging in limbo.

Oh, he stopped responding to your emails, too?

The very last response I got from him, he said he didn't want me to leave and he would talk to Yeti. A few days later Yeti permbanned me from Steam forums and Xavi no longer replied anything at all. Yeti claimed he never received any messages about his moderation practices, so either Yeti was lying or Xavi never talked to him about his behavior.

But as I said earlier, I could write an essay about this but it's not going to make any difference whatsoever.

I never said that I didn't receive any messages; in fact I specifically remember saying that Xavi and I did talk about your specific case... I pointed out the posts on the Steam forums and walked him through how I made my decision; and left the final call up to him. Whether he decided I was right or he just never got a chance to review my decisions I really don't know - that was the last thing I talked about with him.

But, again, this is a conversation you need to take up with Xavi; not the forums.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion