Aqueduct and irrigation basic ideas

General discussion about the game

Re: Aqueduct and irrigation basic ideas

Postby Chrisb78 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:37 am

ruhrpumpenpump wrote:An aqueduct is a watercourse constructed to convey water. In modern engineering, the term aqueduct is used for any system of pipes, ditches, canals, tunnels, and other structures used for this purpose.The term aqueduct also often refers specifically to a bridge on an artificial watercourse. The word is derived from the Latin aqua ("water") and ducere ("to lead").

you should at least cite wikipedia as a source.
Chrisb78

Postby EnvizionRev » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:17 am

ruhrpumpenpump wrote:An aqueduct is a watercourse constructed to convey water. In modern engineering, the term aqueduct is used for any system of pipes, ditches, canals, tunnels, and other structures used for this purpose.The term aqueduct also often refers specifically to a bridge on an artificial watercourse. The word is derived from the Latin aqua ("water") and ducere ("to lead").

-- Envizion Revelations, Towns Moderator
EnvizionRev

Postby LanceKalvaz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:26 am

OMG I don't know why it never occurred to me that you could use mountains to farm/build on multiple levels at once.. I don't know if it was aesthetics or whatever but I always just saw mountains as nasty obstructions to eventually flatten to 'reclaim' that space. Ooo the potential.. If I can get over the aesthetics ugh. Ugly town make hulk want to smash.

I don't know if I'm ready to work with aqueducts yet but.. The thought of hiding farms in the hills or wheat up there is intriguing.
LanceKalvaz

Postby YetiChow » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:16 pm

LanceKalvaz wrote:OMG I don't know why it never occurred to me that you could use mountains to farm/build on multiple levels at once.. I don't know if it was aesthetics or whatever but I always just saw mountains as nasty obstructions to eventually flatten to 'reclaim' that space. Ooo the potential.. If I can get over the aesthetics ugh. Ugly town make hulk want to smash.

I don't know if I'm ready to work with aqueducts yet but.. The thought of hiding farms in the hills or wheat up there is intriguing.

1. carve away the top bit of the mountian and the sides to leave a nice rectangular or square box, or a dome if you're feeling really creative
2. surround the whole thing in some kind of blocks, mine out every other layer of dirt and set up your ugly farm hidden from view in a nice clean looking 'food factory' building with incorporated kitchens and bakeries.
3. ?????
4. PROFIT! :lol:
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby LanceKalvaz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:28 pm

YetiChow wrote:1. carve away the top bit of the mountian and the sides to leave a nice rectangular or square box, or a dome if you're feeling really creative
2. surround the whole thing in some kind of blocks, mine out every other layer of dirt and set up your ugly farm hidden from view in a nice clean looking 'food factory' building with incorporated kitchens and bakeries.
3. ?????
4. PROFIT! :lol:

Brilliant! Cover the thing up and turn it into a silo. Though it would probably look more like a water filter, with it's layers and various filters for purification. Drip. Drip.
LanceKalvaz

Postby YetiChow » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:31 am

I usually make it look like a 'factory', with chimmney stacks coming through the roof and big industrial-style architecture; but yeah you can do jsut about anything to hide it.

I've seen one (don't ask me where, there's no way I'll remember where the screenshot was lol) that was a massive skyscraper-like building where the the bottom few floors were layered farming and all the workshops etc. were above that.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby LanceKalvaz » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:49 am

See, that sounds interesting and I'm wrestling with the idea of maximizing farming/herding space by having a roof at layer 11, farm/animals at layer 10, grass (or what have you) at layer 9 and then repeating farms, grass, farms, grass going down. That would give me 6 layers of farms, at layers 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 and 0, and let me put my bakery and/or kitchen right below it at layer -2 or beside/surrounding the 'silo'.

That's assuming I have a nice mountain of 11 or 12 height to start with. What I am wrestling with is is it more efficient to have the bakery/kitchen in the center of the silo floors, replacing one of the 'growing' layers, or at the ground/below-ground layer? Townies who wanted to stop by the bakery/kitchen for whatever reason only having to go to layer 0 (or -2), vs needing to go up to, meh lets say 4 or 6. Versus the workers constantly running up to 10 layers to get things done or just up/down 5?

I'm probably over thinking this too much, huh?
LanceKalvaz

Postby jmquet1 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:03 am

Thanks "No name required"
I too was facing the same problem..
~ If the farmer is poor then so is the whole country ~
Water sprinklers for lawns
jmquet1

Postby Badger » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:54 am

jmquet1 wrote:Thanks "No name required"
I too was facing the same problem..