GhostTowns (READ IF YOU VISIT THIS FORUM)

General discussion about the game

GhostTowns (READ IF YOU VISIT THIS FORUM)

Postby Dragonbahn » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:10 pm

So... Hello.
Welcome to the most likely dead forum of the very dead game "Towns"
The development was a trainwreck, the timing was unfortunate and the finish was... abrupt?
The Too long, didn't read of it all is this.
Xavi and gang started development.
Was one of the first 10 games to enter steam through the greenlight.
Was unfinished in the eyes of the community at that time (Steam early access wasn't a thing back then).
*Shitstorm.jpeg*
Xavi gets burned out and hires a new dev and the vice-dev leaves because of the fishy smell in the symbolic room.
New dev steps in and leaves just as quickly two months later.
Game dies with the sound of a mandrake at v14 and the forum slowly perishes after that.

This leaves us at this post.
How dead is this whole ordeal?
Last registered user was songsinh1241 in August of, 2015 who hasn't logged in since September, 2015.
supermalparit (Dev) hasn't logged in since November, 2014 and the latest Mod to log in was caprontos in January, 2016. His last post was made September 14, 2014.

It's kind of peaceful being here. Just looking through the posts and trying to pinpoint the post that started the spiral. (Probably earlier than the whole "I quit, f**k you" thing)
We're all dissapointed at the failure that is Towns, but there is still the one game that inspired it all. Ever heard of Dwarf Fortress? It's been in development since 2002 and is still being updated! It's an ASCII style game with impossibly detailed stories and variables. And it's OPEN SOURCE! Need some water for that buuuuurn Mr. Xavi?
Some helpful links if you wanna check them out.
An interview with the devs:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... l-of-towns
Dwarf Fortress' official website and wiki:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page
And a helpful tutorial to get you started:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXSwxQYrSB0
Be warned. DF has been dubbed as one of the most advanced games ever made (Featurewise. Not graphically)

I'll check back occasionally to just admire this forum. It's kind of a museum of sorts.
Dragonbahn

Re: GhostTowns (READ IF YOU VISIT THIS FORUM)

Postby Baskingner » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:45 pm

Still here, rocking around the clock.

Power doesn't corrupt people, People corrupt power.
Baskingner

Postby YetiChow » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:16 pm

I still check by regularly; if anyone wants to talk about Towns itself I'm always up for that chat.

I've made the call to keep out of any of the discussions about "Towns the Idea, Story and Controversy" on this forum though -- I've wasted too much time on that mess already; and clearly most people have made up their minds on the subject. I'm not interested in discussions about how disappointed players are, or how different things could have been... these forums were so much livelier and friendlier when we focussed on what the game directly offered and what we think about that content, rather than what we think about the game's overall trajectory.

So, I keep an eye open for anyone wanting to experience what we originally came here for... but if nobody brings it up, there's not much point trying to drive a conversation solo.

The forums on Steam have seen a bit more liveliness in the last 6 months or so; largely because they're a point of contact for new players and a place where they can ask questions or complain about "things that aren't working" (which generally turns into a discussion about all the possible reasons that the stated approach can fail without any bugs or code issues in the first place... e.g. the way that the plan doesn't leave any margin for unexpected delays, or how the player isn't doing anything to improve travel times even though the path to a mining area is getting longer and longer)

Ultimately, most of the regular participants got sick of the salt and moved on to other, healthier communities. I would guess that many still drop by, just not logging in unless there's something to say -- whenever I load the page up, the activity monitor reports a few more active users than there are registered bots; so I assume that some regulars still have their account set to automatically log in when they visit the site.

There were a few outages in the past as well, prompting rumours that these forums had been shut down... another factor that tends to make readers stop checking in, if they believe such posts.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Gremdavel » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:37 am

Dwarf Fortress is *not* open-source. It is free, and it is amazing, but Tarn Adams has not released the code.

I still check here every once in awhile juuuust in case Xavi got bored and suddenly posted v15 notes without any fanfare ;-)
Gremdavel

Postby Empalaor » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:43 am

Glad to still see people in these lands.

Maybe someday I will give Towns another run, I remember the last time playing I found a big bug that made me left the game.

It's interesting that in this time I haven't found any other game with this mechanics (if you know one, tell me).
Empalaor

Postby Duvel » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:00 pm

Might be me, but I still enjoy the game from time to time. It's not easily accesible but it's quite original and when you get into it, for me lots of fun. Haven't found another game with this concept (building a town on top of a dungeon). As said earlier, please tell me if I missed one that's worth checking out.

That being said, the way the devs treated it all does not deserve any medals ;-).
'Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams'
-- W.B. Yeats
Duvel

Postby hax » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:54 am

Similar games I know of are Gnomoria and Stonehearth. But I also enjoy Towns from time to time again.
hax

Postby dave606 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:05 am

I was going trough my password list and saw this one listed. :) This is still one of my favorite games, though I haven't played it in a while. I don't know... I was never all angry, like so many people. I paid my fee and got numerous hours of fun out of it. It's unfortunate it hasn't continued though. Hopefully it will be resurrected one day. I still think it's a really nice game. Maybe I'll watch the Sips play-through again. :) Dave
dave606

Postby Nathuram » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:56 pm

I got more than my moneys worth of entertainment from this game. I still play through it once or twice a year.
Mommy, where do we go when we die?
To the Bone Merchant, dear.
Nathuram

Postby JTE » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:25 pm

I made a mod for Towns once. That was kind of cool I guess. What was it, inhumane cage farms using graphics inspired by Minecraft's spawners, which explicitly take up exactly one tile of space? Something like that. Heh. Started playing at v13, so it wasn't much of a rise-and-fall for me. Just sort of an "oh. I finally got this cool little game that made it through Steam greenlight and now it's just sort of been handed off to someone else. oh, and now it's just dead. okay then. :("

I liked Towns. Towns is a good game. I would recommend it. But it just sort of died. Sad end.
JTE

Return to General discussion