Tech. Question about related Software

Get general Towns support here

Tech. Question about related Software

Postby Shinomond » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:19 pm

I have been having a few issues that feel like they are related to outdated or missing software. Is there anything I missed checking to make sure it is up to date?

Basically I have been having a number of AI pathing loop issues and issues with raising the AI setting past 4 of 6. Seems nobody else to have the issues I am having and went throught the list of make sure X is updated. While Java was updated to v7, update 35 from the software on my computer. Running the diagnostic tool on Java's website also found v7, update 13 was also installed and running and removed it. If there is nothing else to update or check I will see if this has any effect.

System Specs
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64x
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 CPU Quad-Core 2.66 GHZ
32.0 GB Ram Installed in four 8 GB sticks
AMD ATI Radeon HD 5800, with up to date drivers v14.10.1006

Also went though and made sure all my typical game software was updated.
Towns Game installed from Steam v14d, also verified cache, uninstalled and reinstalled, and verified again.
Java version 7, update 35 installed (Also just found and removed v7, u13 which was also installed)
Adobe Flash version 14.0.0.145 for 32x and 64x.
.NET Framework verions 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5 installed and up to date
C Series runtime packs for versions 2005-2013 version 12 installed.
DirectX 11 installed and updated
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials v1.179.1331.0 updated and nothing shown after scan.
Also nothing shown on Malwarebytes or Spybot after updating and scanning.

For more information about what I am experiencing.
http://www.townsgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11583

EDIT: Verified .NET framework 4.5 was installed and updated and DirectX
EDIT: Verified Java v7, u35 for 32x was installed. Manually installed v7, u35 for 64x. Flash for 64x already installed and updated.
Last edited by Shinomond on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shinomond

Re: Tech. Question about related Software

Postby GreyFalcon » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:05 am

Just a thought but if you are running an x64 bit OS like Windows 7 x64 for example, make sure you also install the x64 bit versions of Java and especially Flash Media (which often doesn't get updated by the automatic web pages).

Best method I found in doing this is manually remove the old versions, goto the websites and download the Java x64 bit and x32 bit versions manually (Adobe makes you log in with an x64bit browser such as Internet Explorer x64 from the Start Menu and install direct from website now). If you are using 2 different browser versions such as Firefox and not just Internet Explorer there are now additional version of Flash Media again. You MUST use each browser to go to the flash media website, download and install flash media (3 times if you use Firefox and have a x64 OS) to get all 3 versions of the flash media plugin/addon. For the Java once you get to the install/download page you will notice this small blue print saying 'install other versions'. Click this location for it to give you access to the manual/offline downloads of the x32 and x64 bit versions. Download them both, uninstall any older versions manually, then run the x32bit then the x64 bit version installers. Done.

The same thing applies to the C Series runtimes.x64 and x32 bit installers.

And I would recommend a better antivirus. I think PCMagazine sums it up with their discription when comparing antivirus software: "Note that while Microsoft Security Essentials appears in the chart, most of the labs treat it as a baseline, not as a serious contender. Microsoft agrees; they're not trying to compete with free third-party vendors. They just want to make sure everyone has some degree of protection.". http://www.avast.com is a much higher, top 3 tier listing, antivirus and all you have to do is register your name and email and they give you a free activation for 1 year. When it expires, simply re-register for an addition free year. Personally, I run their Internet Security suite and it does all these updates for me without the need to go to the websites manually to do it anymore. As for Malwarebytes... eh. I've found after having been using Avast for the last couple years, Spybot became redundant and a resource waste because it no longer ever found anything in my system and have uninstalled it actually last winter. Remember this bit about running multiple antivirus/malware programs also; when you are running more than 1 program actively when they both go to look at 1 file they both tend to recognize the file as 'in use' and neither tend to scan it. That is why most to near all antivirus companies highly recommend to pick 1 antivirus solution and uninstall the rest. Also, no 1 antivirus solution is 100% perfect. They all work differently. Avast is among the top 3 contenders. Avast, Kapersky, and AVG (when comparing PAID versions). I always find it interesting that nearly all comparisons are paid verses Avast! FREE instead of against the Avast! Paid.
It's not if we win or lose that matters, it's how we stood and faced it.

Check out some of my writing at: http://Writing.Com/authors/greyfalcon
GreyFalcon

Postby BlueSteelAUS » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:16 am

nope. eset smart security (nod32 anti virus is the best, won the most in the wild virus tests over the last 10+ years. nothing is as quick either) but its a paid product. My friends use AVG and they are generally in there somewhere (a little behind and slower with updates) . it is about the best of the free security systems.. also any one system can be got around. so i occasionally run others to check that i don't have any infections that have been written to circumvent a particular firewall/ security / vurus / phissing etc. checkers..

I don't think his problem is a virus though. it looks to me like it could even be hardware related, eg: rounding of math etc. or ram problems. or there is a bug
BlueSteelAUS

Postby GreyFalcon » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:34 am

BlueSteelAUS wrote:I don't think his problem is a virus though. it looks to me like it could even be hardware related, eg: rounding of math etc. or ram problems. or there is a bug

Agreed; I thought I would throw it out there about the x64bit versions and about getting a better free antivirus than Microsoft's because most are unaware of those, in particular the x64 bit versions.

GreyFalcon

Postby Shinomond » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:27 am

Double check everything you mentioned, and found Flash is updated for all versions. Java on the otherhand was only installed for the 32x version because they dont push updated or even display the 64x versions without a little research. So I have Java updated with the 64x version as well. Let me know if there are any more resources I need to check.
Shinomond

Postby GreyFalcon » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:35 pm

Shinomond wrote:
System Specs
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64x
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 CPU Quad-Core 2.66 GHZ
32.0 GB Ram Installed in four 8 GB sticks
AMD ATI Radeon HD 5800, with up to date drivers v14.10.1006

I recently had an interesting issue with my Ram. I have two G.Skill RipJaws X 8Gb sticks giving me a total of 16gb Ram. Love the way it makes Windows 7 x64 sing. The problem I found was for some odd reason my motherboard's auto configuration of the chips was mis-reading the DDR identification and thus mis-setting the configurations. The chips are 1866Mhz and CL10-11-10-30. The motherboard was configuring them to 1024Mhz and CL 7-7-7-18. The result was odd mathmatical errors, random crashes and machine lock ups, and programs not running right. Once I was able to track down this error and manually fix it (Thank you Asus for helping track it down) the system is running better than it ever had.

So the thought that came to mind was are all 4 of your sticks matching in CL and speed, both in settings in the bios and in design capability. Are identical chips in the matching slots as well; usually every other slot is linked for enhanced speed and often color coded to match. Also, do the Bios settings match what the chips are designed to run at? (Some chips are NOT backwards compatible to slower speeds, such as these RipJaws X I found.)

GreyFalcon

Return to Support