Possible bug after long play times

Get general Towns support here

Possible bug after long play times

Postby Jimbo » Tue May 28, 2013 1:18 am

I had left my game running while watching a movie hoping to give my townies a little bit of time without and chores other than hauling items to their intended destination and finish up on a couple building projects. When I returned to the game about 3 hours later I noticed that they were all on a permanent idle type status. They just wandered around the market and their private rooms endlessly. Giving them additional tasks wouldn't even break them from their stupor. This occurred after an initial 2 hours of play time plus the 3 while I was away from the game so at some point it seems that their sequence of tasks broke. I had the game running on speed 4 while playing then dropped it to 3 while away.

Additionally I made sure to check the minimum level of hauling / autoequip on the citizen panel before leaving and set it to level -6 so they could gather goblinite and such. Other continuous tasks were the usual cooking, baking, harvesting, butchering, and other production services. I also had a group of 7 whose job was specifically to haul materials out of the dungeon. One last thing, I turned sieges off while away and had 57 townies and 7 heroes wandering about.

To remedy the problem I simply saved and quit to desktop then restarted. Everything worked fine afterward.
I believe that is all the information I could provide to try and replicate the issue.

Thanks for reading!
Jimbo

Re: Possible bug after long play times

Postby johanwanderer » Tue May 28, 2013 8:03 pm

It sounds like the food production is still going on, since your town did not starve. Did you run out of some materials (i.e. mud) that cause the townies to wait?
johanwanderer

Postby Jimbo » Wed May 29, 2013 3:20 am

No, there was plenty of materials needed to build the project that remained; a massive stone wall surrounding my townies living quarters. I had cleared out a little over 1000 stone from the first two dungeon floors so they wouldn't run out. I remember noticing this issue when my farm animals were starting to starve. I had a group of 7 townies set to food production which included the harvest, till, baking, butchering, and feeding jobs. Granted I didn't hear the animals dying until I got back and started playing again but as soon as I noticed that I was losing a considerable amount of animals every couple seconds I selected the harvest tool and targeted my entire wheat field (a 12x12 ### pattern field) and no one, not even the townies that I have set to general tasks that include all job functions, would move.

Edit: An update. I noticed this event happened again tonight while playing after about 4 hours of game time with it running on speed 4. Population has increased to 75 with 8 heroes running about. The same solution used in the OP fixed the situation.
Jimbo

Postby supermalparit » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Can you provide us a saved game when this happens? Oh, wait.... that won't let us to check it because after a save/load the problem is fixed, right?.... hmmm

We need a way to reproduce that issue in order to fix it :(
Xavi Canal
supermalparit
Towns team

Postby johanwanderer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:37 pm

supermalparit wrote:Can you provide us a saved game when this happens? Oh, wait.... that won't let us to check it because after a save/load the problem is fixed, right?.... hmmm

We need a way to reproduce that issue in order to fix it :(

I actually experienced a very similar situation. Basically new orders are not being executed. All existing productions are still working.

Scenario:
  1. Play for a long time
  2. Spend a lot of time building a particular building (work fine, albeit slowly)
  3. Decided to mine now to the next dungeon for more stone. Workers did not mine (I have 130 townies at the time, some are dedicated to mining, a bunch are just generalists)
  4. Save and exit game (OK)
  5. Exit Towns. Town actually crashed with a Windows dialog asking to see if I would like to find solution for Java...
  6. Launch Towns again, load game, everything works fine.

Since it was Java that crashed, I don't know if there's an error log for that event or not. I'll check when I get home. My haunch is that the game ran out of heap (-Xmx) and might just be slowly dying.
johanwanderer

Postby Brigadon » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:58 pm

sounds like a Java memory leak. Welcome to windows.
Brigadon

Postby johanwanderer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:05 am

I checked, bot there is nothing in the error log, as expected.
johanwanderer

Postby supermalparit » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:58 am

Impossible to reproduce, maybe is a Java version issue? What Java build are you using?
Xavi Canal
supermalparit
Towns team

Postby johanwanderer » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:10 am

I can't reproduce it either, but here's my Java version:

java version "1.5.0_21"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_21-b01)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.5.0_21-b01, mixed mode)
johanwanderer

Postby supermalparit » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:55 am

As far as I know the game needs Java 1.6 or better. So, I suggest you to uninstall all the Javas and install the lastest one
Xavi Canal
supermalparit
Towns team

Return to Support