Hunger locks - how to avoid

Show off LPs and other videos here

Hunger locks - how to avoid

Postby teh.f4ll3n » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:50 am

It seems that there a lot of new players recently and some of them tend to think that hunger lock is a bug, so they keep reporting it as one. Well, it's not a bug - it's a full-fledged feature.

I put together a short video where I make an attempt to explain what hunger lock is and show a simplest way of avoiding it.

The video can be found here: http://youtu.be/stZh4w-ywEc

Hope it's of at least a bit of help for all you newcomers ;) Also hope it's good enough to go into "Community Tutorials" section (if there is one) :D

Leave your comments either here or on YouTube (I read them all).
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on. ©Russians
Back to my roots: Fallout 2
teh.f4ll3n

Re: Hunger locks - how to avoid

Postby Khombhat » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:04 pm

You mean when a citizen is too hungry to work his inability to gather life-sustaining food is considered a feature?! I'm sorry, but if that is the case then I feel the need to call bullshit. No offense, but that's just illogical. If a person is starving then his/her primary goal becomes finding and eating food and all of their energy will be channeled into that task. There's no reason to cause a game over simply because a player's citizens get hungry and no food is currently stored. I would be okay with citizens refusing to do all tasks aside from harvesting a single meal, but I refute the assertion that citizens refusing to perform a task to save their lives from starvation is a "feature". If I have not misunderstood what a hunger-lock is then please reconsider your stance on this potential game-breaker.

Thanks!
Khombhat

Postby FungusTrooper » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:18 pm

They don't do anything on their own, dude. It's not rocket science.

Want them to craft stuff out of wood? Have them chop wood.
Want them to make iron armor? Have them mine iron.
Want them to eat food? Harvest food.
Come visit the Towns Wiki!
INFORMATION AT YOUR FINGERTIPS !!!
FungusTrooper

Postby gamefreak701 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:39 pm

Good idea and nice video. I will watch all of it once I get home from work.

This isn't the place to really argue if it's a feature or not, but I feel that it is a feature and should be left as is. It's only the players fault if he/she lets all the food get depleted. Makes sense to me that if you fail to keep your town well supplied with food and let everyone starve, then you deserve a game over.

I personally have only had hunger lock once, and that was my very first play threw. After that I now know enough to make food my #1 priority, as it should be.
gamefreak701

Postby touriste » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:04 pm

i found a way to prevent hunger lock but didn'"t test it yet:
- Make a round of 3x3 square full of barrels
- fill with food (by deactivating other storage, filling the others etc..)
- Place the 4 walls so none can enter
- Voilà! In case of food lock, remove walls
touriste

Postby Elegant Caveman » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:09 pm

That's not a bad idea at all, actually, I like it! Gonna start doing that, thanks.
Elegant Caveman

Postby teh.f4ll3n » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:11 pm

touriste wrote:i found a way to prevent hunger lock but didn'"t test it yet:
- Make a round of 3x3 square full of barrels
- fill with food (by deactivating other storage, filling the others etc..)
- Place the 4 walls so none can enter
- Voilà! In case of food lock, remove walls

The problem is: you have to make all that food first. That's what the video's purpose is - it shows how to set up you food production in 2-3 days (before your townies start requiring food).
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on. ©Russians
Back to my roots: Fallout 2
teh.f4ll3n

Postby BlueSteelAUS » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:07 am

Khombhat wrote:You mean when a citizen is too hungry to work his inability to gather life-sustaining food is considered a feature?! I'm sorry, but if that is the case then I feel the need to call bullshit. No offense, but that's just illogical. If a person is starving then his/her primary goal becomes finding and eating food and all of their energy will be channeled into that task. There's no reason to cause a game over simply because a player's citizens get hungry and no food is currently stored. I would be okay with citizens refusing to do all tasks aside from harvesting a single meal, but I refute the assertion that citizens refusing to perform a task to save their lives from starvation is a "feature". If I have not misunderstood what a hunger-lock is then please reconsider your stance on this potential game-breaker.

Thanks!

the thing is that when they are starving they are too week to go and do anything BUT EAT.. they have no energy to cook or harvest only EAT... like they are bed ridden (well not quite) , but just can't do anything apart from get to the food (if its there)

the way your talking it comes accross (to me at least) like your giving a starving ethopian or someone on they last throes at life a pig and saying here go kill and cook this, you'll be fine. thats not how STARVED people are. at least in this game they will go to food thats prepaired. and it doesn't have to be brought to them like in real life.

its up to you.. you are their keeper you have to make sure there is enough food for them or they WILL die ..
BlueSteelAUS

Postby HoshiGiniro » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:39 am

after a while the only sound i ever hear aside from music is the sound of eating i wish there was a way to scheduled their days so that they will all go eat at the same time or in shifts so the sound isn't all day every day
Gamer mom: enjoys playing games with my child
HoshiGiniro

Postby robertjh12 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:19 am

My problem with the hunger lock is that, even if i set all people to harvest, or quit enough work that there should be workers free, they still starve. I've plenty of wheat farms, and flour is made, but nobody makes it into bread. For some odd reason, making food in bakery is always the workers lowest priority.
robertjh12

Next

Return to Videos