Light color blends

Show us your creations and tactics!

Light color blends

Postby Wolfy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:30 pm

I haven't seen anyone comment on or show how the different "hanged lamps" light mixes, so here you go:

Yellow doesn't mix very nicely, imo. It doesn't make any blended colors. It seems like it really only mixes with blue, but it doesn't make green, just a sort of grayish color.
Red + blue DO make purple light.
Blue + green make a very lovely teal light.
So blue seems to mix the best, since it's required for the only two blended colors.
Red + green makes...yellow...sadly. @_@
White mixes with all the other colors to make them slightly paler.
Wolfy

Location: All you need to know is I'm in Eastern Standard Time.

Re: Light color blends

Postby Hyrus » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:46 pm

I've used purple lighting in my lighthouse!
Hyrus

Postby Jon_jon13 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:54 pm

I guess it's good to know, but I can barely notice any difference :D

I see yellow and green like it's almost the same colour, and the red light it's like a really pale light... Purple and blue, no difference at all either. It's kind of funny.

On the screen you show, I only notice the merging when the blue merges with (i guess it is) yellow and green, and it's the same kind of color in both cases. Also the white with the blue.

Nothin' else ;(
This device requires watergineers, m'lord!
Jon_jon13

Postby Wolfy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:17 pm

You said you're colorblind though, right? XD So it makes sense that you'd not be able to see much difference. Just take my word for it then, lolol.
Wolfy

Postby YetiChow » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:28 am

I quite like the look of this, but I think it'd be much more apparent on the gray flag stone wall - you'd expect it to be most obvious on the white flag block or colombages, but it's just too pale.... either way, thanks for the info :D

Completely off-topic, it's amazing how many people who are colourblind can play colour-intensive (and I'm not just talking games with lots of colour in them, I mean games which use colours for important information and don't have a colourblind mode...) games so well that you wouldn't know unless they told you. I was building something in Ace of Spades, and I didn't find out until halfway through the project that my building partner was colourblind and had been relying on me to pick the block colours... :| :shock: :? :shock: :o :) :P :D 8-) (that was really the reaction I went through when I found out :lol:)
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Jon_jon13 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:10 am

YetiChow wrote:I quite like the look of this, but I think it'd be much more apparent on the gray flag stone wall - you'd expect it to be most obvious on the white flag block or colombages, but it's just too pale.... either way, thanks for the info :D

Completely off-topic, it's amazing how many people who are colourblind can play colour-intensive (and I'm not just talking games with lots of colour in them, I mean games which use colours for important information and don't have a colourblind mode...) games so well that you wouldn't know unless they told you. I was building something in Ace of Spades, and I didn't find out until halfway through the project that my building partner was colourblind and had been relying on me to pick the block colours... :| :shock: :? :shock: :o :) :P :D 8-) (that was really the reaction I went through when I found out :lol:)

We colorblinds have our ways around it 8-) Like everyone else I guess.

For example, nonchalantly letting others make the color choices :P Also knowing which colors are hard to tell apart from the start can help in guessing them... :P
Jon_jon13

Postby Wolfy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:57 pm

Well it depends on the type of colorblindness, as well. The most common form is red-green colorblindness. Which makes playing some games, like the old Sierra city builders that turn the footprints red or green to indicate if the building is placeable, fairly difficult. Although I think it's helpful that at least in Pharaoh's case, the footprint is blank when it's red, and shows the building when it's green, so in that way, it's colorblind-friendly.

Blue-orange colorblindness is pretty rare, and yellow-purple colorblindness is nearly unheard of. Total colorblindness is actually more common than either blue-orange or yellow-purple, but still pretty rare.

I find colorblindness interesting because it's an actual physical difference in the construction of the eyes...it's not a disconnect between the eyes and brain like dyslexia is. Our ability to see color is dependent on the presence of "cones" in our eyes. Where the cones are positioned in the eyes determines what colors we can see. So people who are colorblindness are missing cones from the locations in the eye that detect those colors.
It's possible to become colorblind if your eye is damaged. If the part of your eye that detects red is damaged and cones there are destroyed, you'd no longer be able to see red. :)

For games like towns, it mostly doesn't matter, since the majority of different colors are accompanied by different textures as well. The exception being the dark, colored blocks in the stone section, and the roofs section.
But if two things look the same to the person playing, they're not going to notice if they use the wrong block/roof. It only matters if other people see it! XD

Jon, you said knowing which colors are had to tell apart helps. So do you know what kind of colorblindness you experience? :3

(Oh, and Yeti, I tested the colors on the gray flag block and found the rough bricks to show better because they're closer to white, but with enough definition to stop it from being blown out like what happens with the white flag blocks. :))
Wolfy

Postby Jon_jon13 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:31 pm

It's not "parts" of the eye that are missing, but a different matter instead. The eyes have 4 different kinds of cells sensible to the light: The "sticks" (not sure about the translation, but I guess that fits) which percieve the intensity (there is light, or there isn't) and 3 different cones which need more light to even percieve anything (that's why you see almost in black & white in the dark). Each cone gets excited by a certain wave length of the light, and only that length. On the normal eye, those wave lenghts are blue, red and green. The brain then proceeds to mix the colors and show you the full colored image. You should already know that blue + red makes purple, green + blue makes cyan and red + green makes yellow.

In the case of colorblinds, usually one of this three kinds of cones has its wave length "moved" a little to one side. So the precision on detecting the differences on the tone of that specific cone is more difficult than it would be with a normal eye. We can still see it's a different colour sometimes, but can't say which is which. Like if you see a dark green and a slightly darker green. You can see they're different, but still you'll call both green. Sometimes though the two colors are so close in tone, that we can't even see the difference where everyone else can.

As for which is my kind of colorblindness... you can guess from what I said...

I can't tell differences between purple and blue, between yellow and green, and red is usually a dark-pale colour to me...

The moment I noticed which colour was the one I had problems with, was with a game, actually! XD It was a crappy flash racing game, that let you choose completely freely the color of your car, with the usual RGB system where you just edit the red blue or green parameters of the color. I noticed when tinkering with the red, I barely noticed any difference... :P while green or blue changes meant a really big difference on the color. Red only made the color seem a little darker, and if going from zero red to max red I could notice a slight difference in the color, but only then.

Found the same thing with Terraria recently, when creating the char it lets you color different parts with the RGB system too :P

This post turned to be longer than expected... but I guess it doesn't hurt, anyway. I like talking about this, I made a lot of research about it! :D

A little bonus I found long time ago:

ImageImage

I see both images like they were just copypasted... You should see them very different, though. You should (if i put them in the right order XD) see the "normal" view on the left, and "my" view on the right :D
Jon_jon13

Postby Wolfy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:44 pm

I've heard of people being born without cones in their eyes at all. That's what I meant by "missing" really. Animals that are colorblind (like dogs) don't have cones. I mistakenly assumed that was the problem for all cases of colorblindness. What you call "sticks" are actually referred to as "rods". :P

I'm not entirely sure what kind of colorblindness you have based on what you've described. So here are some colorblind tests:

Can't find any yellow/purple tests. :/
Can you see the numbers in the circles above?
Wolfy

Postby Jon_jon13 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:53 pm

The 25 can't fool anyone, btw. I already know that image and I'm pretty sure it's the one used only for demonstration.

And I have the red-green kind, which I guess can be based on either bad red cones, or green cones (red in my case)
Jon_jon13

Next

Return to Screens & tips