How to manage best Food store?

Show us your creations and tactics!

How to manage best Food store?

Postby King_Dark » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:34 am

I have a Problem with my order and food store,Now my Towns have a 27 Townfolks and i have 3 pig farm, 3 chicken farm, 3 badger farm, 3 Wheat farm is size 5x10,5x7 and 5x6, apple farm size 5x5 and pine farm size 5x5, last one is sugar cane farm size 5x5. Ok as once my Order is a cycle of bread food at that time i have a many bread food and my Townfolks is Happiness because i have a many wheat for bread. But for now i have a animal farm,I insert butchering and cooking in to order for this reason my Townfolks take a wheat to feed the animals until wheat is out,Therefore no wheat for bread food and my townfolks is no food to eat.

How to manage The Towns to have many food for people? any ideas? (Sorry for my english skill) :D
King_Dark

Re: How to manage best Food store?

Postby Dremire » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:39 am

That was an issue in v10, but now in v11 animal feeding can be given lower priority than cooking so your grain first goes to townies and only excess if fed to animals.
Animal feeding, as it is, completely unnecessary. Farm keep spawning no mater what, and you can milk, beegg (Sorry for my english skill) :D, and butcher newly spawned animals before they die of starvation. If some of them die before butchering you get free bones.
Dremire

Re: How to manage best Food store?

Postby YetiChow » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:42 am

Dremire wrote:That was an issue in v10, but now in v11 animal feeding can be given lower priority than cooking so your grain first goes to townies and only excess if fed to animals.
Animal feeding, as it is, completely unnecessary. Farm keep spawning no mater what, and you can milk, beegg (Sorry for my english skill) :D, and butcher newly spawned animals before they die of starvation. If some of them die before butchering you get free bones.

I personally don't bother with animals anymore - I used to be a big fan of roasts for the pure fill PCT they give, but now with cakes you can get really good value-for-time in that regard... as Dremire said, you can set up your farms to spawn animals to immediately be butchered/milked/have-an-egg-bodily-pulled-out-of (seriously, watch what happens when you order a townie to collect eggs... poor chicken :?) and not worry about feeding them - in fact, you ca "cheat" with cows and chickesm because when you "collect" their products they get turned into another animla so their feeding time is re-set; and there's plenty of time to butcher them :) It's difficult to micro-manage and almost impossible to automate things to that fine a time scale, but even a 505 reduction n the number of animals which get fed is a huge improvement.

Another thing which can greatly help if you're a control freak is to set townies to do only certain jobs rather than not doing certain jobs - that is, rather than just disabling a couple of jobs, only allow them to do one job or a couple of linked jobs. For example, have a group which only does cooking, one which only does crop farming and one which only does animal feeding and butchering - that way every aspect of your food chain is always covered. I separate my townies into "guilds", and I've found that it takes about three food-related guild members for two non-food townies - I guess you could also take that to mean that you need to keep three food orders for every two "other" orders with the total at any time being equal to your population...
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Return to Screens & tips