Sugar cane setups

Show us your creations and tactics!

Sugar cane setups

Postby lozzajp » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:28 am

I was wondering if anyone had some setups of their sugar cane fields? Will this work as simple as it is, the blue squares are to be tilled and the middle rows dug out so the river floods into them. Or is there a more clever way of doing this using aqueducts etc?

lozzajp

Re: Sugar cane setups

Postby burningpet » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:43 pm

The first thing that comes to mind is that townies will have hard time dropping the harvested sugar cane that is near the top left corner because water and the sugar cane crops will block them from all sides, so townies will have to travel far away to drop the harvested crops.

Best solution is to build the arcs before flooding the canals.

Another thing to mind is how far the fields are from the town.
burningpet

Postby lozzajp » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:29 am

arcs?

So the canes have to be within 2 squares of a water tile, has to be on the same level?
lozzajp

Postby YetiChow » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:57 am

lozzajp wrote:arcs?

So the canes have to be within 2 squares of a water tile, has to be on the same level?

I think he's referring to any of the stone brick arches; they let water through but towneis can still walk over them. It makes them great as cheap bridges, although scaffolds over the water are free this solution arguably looks better... many people put a block or stairs on either side of the canal with an arch over the water, but all you need is one arch in the water's path for the same effect. As a bonus, the towneis can place something on top of it instead of having to go somewhere else. You could actually have your entire canal covered in arches, and it would be like growing regular crops with "placement rows" for townies to drop produce; I've been leaving such rows between my crops since just about the first day the current farming was implemented and it's much better than having solid blocks of crops as the towneis don't have to walk around to drop things between tasks, and can harvest more at once :D

You can actually put four rows of plants between canals, since the water max age radius is 2 blocks (i.e. you can have 2 crop rows, canal, four crop rows, canal, four crop rows... until you get to the other end where it's a canal and then only two crop rows again). That means that a single canal ten or so blcoks long can support enough sugar cane to feed 20 townies cakes full-time :D
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Return to Screens & tips