Starving after walls

Show us your creations and tactics!

Starving after walls

Postby marshall » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:48 pm

Hello,

Once i get to building walls etc in my setup below i get people starving on me. I got no clue on why.

How can my people starve with this setup:
-59 people (down to 54 now).
-Making food highest priority and gathering second.
-Always have:
80 bread
40 wheat
40 flour

Screenshot of my setup:
http://i.imgur.com/chRStfc.jpg

Edit: just had 2 more die going from 53 > 51. Even though i had 25 apples 25 pears and 30 bread.
marshall

Re: Starving after walls

Postby marshall » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Also if someone can tell me how this setup for sleeping rooms is efficient or not i would be very thankful. The idea is to make walls around creating 3x3 rooms:
http://i.imgur.com/A7TG503.jpg

Ps. i cannot update my own message as it gets flagged for spam all the time... please disable that annoying thing, captcha should be enough.
marshall

Postby Duvel » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:03 pm

Hey Marshall,

well the setup is pretty efficient since 3x3 is the minimum -and- larger rooms don't add any benifits. V10 did add sleep bonuses for sleeping under a roof or underground (less bonus). So you might want to make 'houses' out of 'm.

You could also make large houses with a lot of 3x3 zones adjacent to eachother and make walls around 'm and a roof above.

On starvation: Just off the bat, but did you check if the builders die -on- your walls. Because walls of 2 height need a scaffold next to them for the workers to come down. Just check where the remains are. If they're on top of your walls, they could not get town to get to the kitchen!

hope this helps!

greetz,

Duvel.
'Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams'
-- W.B. Yeats
Duvel

Postby marshall » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:18 pm

Duvel wrote:Hey Marshall,

well the setup is pretty efficient since 3x3 is the minimum -and- larger rooms don't add any benifits. V10 did add sleep bonuses for sleeping under a roof or underground (less bonus). So you might want to make 'houses' out of 'm.

You could also make large houses with a lot of 3x3 zones adjacent to eachother and make walls around 'm and a roof above.

On starvation: Just off the bat, but did you check if the builders die -on- your walls. Because walls of 2 height need a scaffold next to them for the workers to come down. Just check where the remains are. If they're on top of your walls, they could not get town to get to the kitchen!

hope this helps!

greetz,

Duvel.

Thanks for the reply!

Quite annoying if that would be the reason, i'll try to keep an eye on that issue.
marshall

Postby Reyito » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:05 pm

Yeah, the most common reason for starvation while building large scale walls is that someone has trapped themselves on top of a layer they can't get down from. It's annoying, but once you recognise it, it's easy to plan around.

Whenever someone dies from starvation, click on the news items in your "status messages" it'll take you to the location of the death. Then you can see them trapped :)
Reyito

Postby YetiChow » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:28 am

What kind of walls were you building? While I agree it's probably stupid townies building themselves into a trap, sometimes a townie will take a job assignment a few ticks before they enter hunger mode... if you're building with the La Pedra walls or another "complex" wall, or if the townies are hauling (possibly you mined some mud while getting stone, or there's just so much material laying around that it gets hauled before it gets built with) then it's possible that they're just too busy to stop and eat (that is, they're locked into a task and have to finish before they can take an "eat" task). This will likely be the cause if the bodies are scattered between your mine/resource area and your work site, and especially if there's a long walk into the mine to get the materials, a long walk back to the workshop, another long walk to the construction site and yet another long walk back to the kitchen...

Just make sure that the starving townies are actually the ones building walls; they could always be doing something else like hauling and get the above result. Also, if you mined out a large area for materials then make sure you didn't accidentally "drop" some townies down a level underground; they can only climb above the ground level. 90% chance that it's teh first option of townie stupidity though - they are pretty stupid...
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Return to Screens & tips