How to stitch together screen shots? Tips on showing off!

Show us your creations and tactics!

How to stitch together screen shots? Tips on showing off!

Postby Reyito » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:28 pm

Anyone have good tips on stitching together screen shots for display? I (rather laboriously) tack them together in GIMP, but I see quite a few large scale ones done here with what seems relative ease.

Is everyone just using the panoramic filter in Photoshop? Is it possible to remove the overlay (Minimap/menu buttons, etc?)
Reyito

Re: How to stitch together screen shots? Tips on showing o

Postby muzzy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:44 pm

Personally, I just open loads of screenshots on huge (eg. 5000x5000 pixel) canvas and then manually align them layer by layer. I don't do it that often to care about the amount of work... especially since I got 2560x1440 screen so I can take fairly large screenshots to begin with.
muzzy

Postby caprontos » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:50 pm

as muzzy said.. I turn my screen resolution to max and play windowed so that more area is covered per-screenshot.. then just slowly piece it together bit by bit. Its not that bad really.. just have to be patient with it.

They plan to eventually add a way to screenshot the map though/zoom feature... so we should get easier ways to go about it.

Also with the new save format someone said they(or someone) might be able to make a map viewer.. but I haven't seen anymore on that.
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby Reyito » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:07 pm

Bot of you guys have posted SS's without the UI. how?
Reyito

Postby tom k. » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:20 pm

Reyito wrote:Bot of you guys have posted SS's without the UI. how?

Simply minimize the UI, take screenshots, then crop them and stitch them together :)
Tom K.
Former Community Moderator

Please read the FAQs before posting.
Towns' Official Modding Partner Site - Townsmods.net
tom k.

Postby YetiChow » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:01 am

Tgere might be another theoretical way to do it more easily, although I haven't tried it... basically it's just using a video recoder like Bandicam to take a video, and then use individual frames as screenshots... the idea is like the panorama photography feature on smartphones, but it might well be more effort than the traditional way...
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby TacoMagic » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:12 pm

I highly recommend Hugin as it's based on the very well written Panorama Tools.

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

And since you don't have to worry about perspective, the auto-stitching works remarkably well. You'll have to install autopano-sift-C in order to do it in automatic mode (or indeed any control point generator).

You can install hugin by itself:
http://hugin.sourceforge.net/download/

And then install autopano (download near the bottom of the page):
http://autopano.kolor.com/

There are a lot of tutorials on how to do the automated stitching from there.

In order to get rid of the gui, just run a batch auto-crop script in GIMP to pull off the outer 100 pixels or so from all your images before you load them into hugin.
http://hildstrom.com/projects/gimpscript/index.html

You know... I should really just write a guide on how to do this now that I think about it. Something to do with my free-time after I finish the V1 release of the ceramics mod.
TacoMagic

Postby YetiChow » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:43 am

tom k. wrote:
Reyito wrote:Bot of you guys have posted SS's without the UI. how?

Simply minimize the UI, take screenshots, then crop them and stitch them together :)

there used to be a "screenshot mod", where all of the possible menu graphics were removed - there were still a couple of numbers floating around and the mini-map since they're hardcoded, but you could get away with only cropping the top inch or so of the screenshot; the other side menus etc. were completely gone.

Unfortunately it's impossible to actually play the game in this state, but if you have a pre-built town then you can add the savegame to another copy with such a mod and take the screenshots in that game. Alternatively you could implement the mod in your existing game; take the screenshots and then re-implement the vanilla menu graphics.

As far as the mod itself; it was a simple case of deleting the pixels in the pointed-at tiles in ui.png - if anyone wants I can whip up a quick update for V10, and when you want to use it just replace the vanilla .png files with this one (make sure to back up a copy of the vanilla though to put them back later ;)).
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Return to Screens & tips