Roofing questions.

Show us your creations and tactics!

Roofing questions.

Postby Regallion » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:35 pm

So, as I have come to understand from reading the forums and patch notes for v10 the room can have 3 statuses- "open air" "roofed" "underground". Now I will present you with several hypothetical scenarios for which i want to know-what kind of status would a room have?

1. A walled room with a door on level 1. A roof covering it on level 12.
2. same as 1 but there are no walls around the room.
3. same as 1 but the room is located on -5 with all earth/stone above it removed.
4. same as 3 but there are layers of stone above the room.
5. same as 4 but the roof is located right above the room(and then there are layers of stone on top of it.)

6. A walled room with a door on level 1. Above it is a level of wooden blocks on which another room rests( there is an internal staircase so the cover is not fully solid). Above that second room is a roof. are both rooms roofed?
7. Same as 6 but there is no roof. Is bottom room roofed?
8. Same as 6 but one room is at -1 and one at 1.
9. same as 8 but instead of blocks it's earth separating the rooms.

Additionally i want to know how partial roofing or lack of walls/holes in them affect room status.
Regallion

Re: Roofing questions.

Postby XavDesign » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:36 pm

Yeah, I'd like some details on this aswell :p
Processing life at 500 exabits—half a zettabit—per second.
- Xav
XavDesign

Postby burningpet » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:35 pm

Regallion wrote:So, as I have come to understand from reading the forums and patch notes for v10 the room can have 3 statuses- "open air" "roofed" "underground". Now I will present you with several hypothetical scenarios for which i want to know-what kind of status would a room have?

1. A walled room with a door on level 1. A roof covering it on level 12.
2. same as 1 but there are no walls around the room.
3. same as 1 but the room is located on -5 with all earth/stone above it removed.
4. same as 3 but there are layers of stone above the room.
5. same as 4 but the roof is located right above the room(and then there are layers of stone on top of it.)

6. A walled room with a door on level 1. Above it is a level of wooden blocks on which another room rests( there is an internal staircase so the cover is not fully solid). Above that second room is a roof. are both rooms roofed?
7. Same as 6 but there is no roof. Is bottom room roofed?
8. Same as 6 but one room is at -1 and one at 1.
9. same as 8 but instead of blocks it's earth separating the rooms.

Additionally i want to know how partial roofing or lack of walls/holes in them affect room status.

Ok, the roof bonus is applied as such:
The game searches directly upwards from the townie, when it reaches a built block (Any built block including roofs), it stops. so if your townie sleeps at level -10 and the roof is at 10 and even if there's nothing in between, he still get that bonus, if there's a layer of stone in the middle, then he still get the roof bonus. however, if there's only terrain above him, he only gets a bonus for working, not sleeping, and even that a reduced bonus so its always better to have built roofs or layers of blocks above them (when working, terrain grant 15% reduced work time, roof give 25% reduced work time). if your townie sleeps or works directly under a hole in the roof, the bonus will not be applied, however, if there's a hole in the roof in the edge of the room and the townie sleeps in the center, the game will give him the bonus.

however, we will have rain sometime in the near future, so the best suggestion would be to custom your self to building as if you are blocking rain drops and rain streams from messing up your town, meaning, fully enclosed houses and roofs. rooms within enclosed buildings will naturally be safe.
burningpet

Postby Regallion » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:32 pm

Wait, so if i cover the entirety of level 1 is roofs/blocks ALL of the underground will get a roof bonus? how....odd.
Regallion

Postby burningpet » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:37 pm

Right now, yes, however, we are debating if its the best solution.
burningpet

Postby SoralTheSol » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:10 am

Ok, the roof bonus is applied as such:
The game searches directly upwards from the townie, when it reaches a built block (Any built block including roofs), it stops. so if your townie sleeps at level -10 and the roof is at 10 and even if there's nothing in between, he still get that bonus, if there's a layer of stone in the middle, then he still get the roof bonus. however, if there's only terrain above him, he only gets a bonus for working, not sleeping, and even that a reduced bonus so its always better to have built roofs or layers of blocks above them (when working, terrain grant 15% reduced work time, roof give 25% reduced work time). if your townie sleeps or works directly under a hole in the roof, the bonus will not be applied, however, if there's a hole in the roof in the edge of the room and the townie sleeps in the center, the game will give him the bonus.

however, we will have rain sometime in the near future, so the best suggestion would be to custom your self to building as if you are blocking rain drops and rain streams from messing up your town, meaning, fully enclosed houses and roofs. rooms within enclosed buildings will naturally be safe.

Okay, so any built block. This brings to mind a different question, what qualifies as a roof? You see I like to build apartments for my townies and as such the floors are made out of either wood or stone and then the whole building gets a roof at the very top. Is any built block an acceptable roof, or does it need to be a "roof" block?
SoralTheSol

Postby burningpet » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:27 am

Any built block qualifies as a roof, be it a log block, stone block or gold block, so your apartments floors are granting you the bonus.
burningpet

Return to Screens & tips