Mask of the Beast Bug?

Show us your creations and tactics!

Mask of the Beast Bug?

Postby Lain » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:37 am

Put Mask of the Beast on one of my barracks soldiers. Noticed his defense dropped to 970. This is odd since the Mask itself has 1259. My other word gear should put him well above 970 as well. I waited to check both in transformation.. and not in transformation.

I unequipped the helm and his defense shot up to ~2600.. then equipped it again and his defense went up into the high 3000's. When he changes form into a beast his defense drops again to 970.

Is this intentional?
Lain

Re: Mask of the Beast Bug?

Postby supermalparit » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:02 am

Hi,

Ben can explain it better but yes, the Mask of the Beast is a cursed item
Xavi Canal
supermalparit
Towns team

Postby kiraen » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:04 am

His defense should drop to 25% in beast form, but only then. So...

2600+1259=3859 (not transformed)
3859/4=964.75 (transformed)

Looking at that, I'm betting that your actual unequipped def is 2621.

If his defense was dropping while not transformed, then you may have found a bug.
kiraen

Postby Lain » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:25 am

I triple checked it while untransformed. It's stuck at 970 after the first transformation (while transformed and normal). Unless the penalty is supposed to exist while "exhausted".

In v8 i noticed that even once i put it down.. the character would continue to transform on a regular cycle. Is this intended? If so I won't bother checking. If not i'll need to see if that is still an issue in v9a.

EDIT: It seems like a decent enough item if the defense comes back up while not transformed that at least gives him a fighting chance. If this guy stays at a quarter defense with the debuff (slow, weaker attacks, lower hp, etc) then I don't see a reason to ever equip it. Which is fair enough.. it is cursed.. avoid it.. sell it.. don't buy it type item.
Lain

Postby kiraen » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:36 am

No, his def should come back up during the 'Tiredness' cooldown. He should get really slow tho.

As for it continuing, was it a highlander hero? They have the a skill which is nearly identical.
kiraen

Postby YetiChow » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:16 am

Lain wrote:I triple checked it while untransformed. It's stuck at 970 after the first transformation (while transformed and normal). Unless the penalty is supposed to exist while "exhausted".

In v8 i noticed that even once i put it down.. the character would continue to transform on a regular cycle. Is this intended? If so I won't bother checking. If not i'll need to see if that is still an issue in v9a.

EDIT: It seems like a decent enough item if the defense comes back up while not transformed that at least gives him a fighting chance. If this guy stays at a quarter defense with the debuff (slow, weaker attacks, lower hp, etc) then I don't see a reason to ever equip it. Which is fair enough.. it is cursed.. avoid it.. sell it.. don't buy it type item.

Actually it's almost the opposite - they spend the "beast" time with a higher ATK and DMG than normal (i.e. before they put the mask on) at the expense of a DEF penalty. Basically the go beserk and forget about their own safety, but the cooldown really knocks them around and they take time to recover. That's probably the point of the "curse".
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Lain » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:24 am

I just did some testing. I might have misread it before or it changed.

1) Power of the beast never fades. The power is "always on". I see a constant huge dmg and attack bonus.. and a defense penalty at all times. HP seems to bounce a bit but didn't pay that much attention. The max is ~3k in both forms.

2) When the character transforms from beast back to normal they get a debuff called "tiredness". The character looks naked (also didn't notice that before now) but is still wearing the gear. No change in stats (except for current HP i think) but the character does move slower.
Lain

Postby Camble_soup » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:29 pm

Maybe getting some boots of haste would counter the debuff. That way you have a no debuffs but the armor one.
Untill next time, Camble.
"Does thou's mother knowth you wearth her drapes?" - Iron man talking to Thor in The Avengers.
Camble_soup

Postby pander » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:16 am

The best use I've found for Masks of the Beast are to equip them on a secondary patrol force. Once the first patrol engages a target, have the second force rush in with their greater attack power but with no risk of taking attacks. By -14 my squads look something along the lines of 30 soldiers in patrol one with the best defensive equipment and 5 in patrol two with the best weapons, boots of haste and masks of the beast. It's quite effective.
I now run the forum game Tales of Caelandonia http://townsgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3769.
Mechanics, rules and story outlines are found in the discussion page: http://townsgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8853
Join us!
pander

Return to Screens & tips