How to get rid of stone?

Show us your creations and tactics!

How to get rid of stone?

Postby epek22 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:11 pm

My first post here, hello everyone!

In every game i have a problem with massive amounts of stone laying around, its annoying me especially in dungeons because i cant build anything.
Do you have ant tips for that, besides barrels and caravans? Im talking about 1,5k of stone and more.

PS.Also how can i provide food to underground villages?
epek22

Re: How to get rid of stone?

Postby Ghett0 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:49 am

My favorite way to get rid of stone is to build roads with it.
My 2 cents.
Check out my Let's Play videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Ghett0Messiah?feature=mhee
Steam ID = h0li-Ghett0
Ghett0

Postby YetiChow » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:51 am

epek22 wrote:My first post here, hello everyone!

In every game i have a problem with massive amounts of stone laying around, its annoying me especially in dungeons because i cant build anything.
Do you have ant tips for that, besides barrels and caravans? Im talking about 1,5k of stone and more.

PS.Also how can i provide food to underground villages?

You might have to add it to the burner menu - check the modding thread for a DIY instruction mod. Personally I would use it on stone decorations to beautify the town, roads are another option... the other thought is to haul it all up to town (which will take a loooooong time) and add a "statue" which takes like 100 stone and sells to caravans for heaps of cash - basically just condensing the massive sale into a smaller one of the same cost and value.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby epek22 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:37 am

This "statue" you talking about is it some item to build in menu or sth like that?
About roads and decorations, i did not yet shapened my town so i dont know where to put it :D Just wandered if there is some other way to dispose stone.
Then, i think i'll have to mod it out.
epek22

Postby Ghett0 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:01 am

Since stone is a key building component to most of your structures, I would try to avoid destroying it if you could. You could always sell it once you make a market. (it's a great way to make money for those awesome, ultra expensive weapons and armors.)

If not, build statues in your fields, your forests and your working environments. it will help solve another problem; keep townies happy.

Also, walls and roofs increase productivity of the building zone they surround, so BUILD, BUILD, BUILD! :D
My 2 cents.
Check out my Let's Play videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Ghett0Messiah?feature=mhee
Steam ID = h0li-Ghett0
Ghett0

Postby epek22 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:01 am

I've managed that, just building a loooooooot. Now im looking into modding, it's preety interesting and easy :)
epek22

Postby YetiChow » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:16 am

epek22 wrote:I've managed that, just building a loooooooot. Now im looking into modding, it's preety interesting and easy :)

When I mentioned an "Uber Statue" I was talking about modding one in - just change the stone requirements and hapiness output of the regular stone statue (persoanlly I'd copy/paste the exisitng code and edit that to have both kinds, but if you're just starting out it may be easier to "update" the regular one) so you get rid of all that unwanted stone and keep your townies happy to boot. However once you start building big things you'll realise there's no such thing as too much stone - the best advice I can give is not to start mining out layers just because you can, but dig the minimum amout of tunnels needed and then mine out the stone in between them as you need it.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Runedaegun » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:58 am

if you have some clear sections underground that you wont be useing (or anywhere really) go to walls/decorative and build the la monte (i think) walls that use 4 stone per section. easy to que up a ton of it and worked really well for me until i added stone to the burner menu
Runedaegun

Postby pander » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:27 pm

There are a couple of methods for getting food to an underground population:

the thread, viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8146, includes a method though it's buried in the text wall

and the second to last post in viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8104&start=20 details a method of getting animals underground for a milking herd or egg laying flock.
I now run the forum game Tales of Caelandonia http://townsgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3769.
Mechanics, rules and story outlines are found in the discussion page: http://townsgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8853
Join us!
pander

Postby etherealwtf » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:35 pm

Build :
  • La pedrera wall (4 stones)
  • Ancient Wall (2 stones)
I had 1k stone, and built this monstruous building.
etherealwtf

Return to Screens & tips