Whats your "mineshaft" look like?

Show us your creations and tactics!

Whats your "mineshaft" look like?

Postby caprontos » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:00 am

I assume most just make a simple steps down.. but.. because I was bored I changed up my usual..

Each path goes to a layer.. And the paths will rotate around the center.. all connected/supported by the wooden rails that hang down.

Have you bothered to make any interesting mine-shafts?:P

Clearly all you need is..

But whats the fun in that? haha..
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Re: Whats your "mineshaft" look like?

Postby QuantumJunkie » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:16 pm

I REALLY like this. So nice to see some complexity.
QuantumJunkie

Postby CaRNage » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:26 pm

wow, i like this alot!
CaRNage

Postby Badger » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:05 am

Very nice concept. I would prolly make mine smaller, though. I think of big, gaping holes in the ground to be an eyesore, but that's just how I am. Still, it's very creative!
Badger

Postby Ghett0 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:26 pm

I get bored of seeing Scaffolds, so I make myself "Elevators" AKA Vertical ladders. I also don't make big gaping holes on the Main layer, but I hollow out each level of dungeon as it is cleared out and use the stone to make roads. I'm also a big fan of the underground farm system, as it allows me to put taverns, personal rooms and dining rooms lower in the dungeon. This helps avoid the "Deep diving starvation" problem. I'm also a big fan of building farms within the same walls as my kitchen, and then putting an elevator system down levels where I fence the livestock in. I'm still waiting on my chickens to wander far enough down the shaft to build a kitchen on level -10. Right now, i have about 140 rooms from level -2 to +5. (as I post this, i am waiting for new immigrants to fill up all my rooms.)

Once I have about 150, I'm going to put the last 50 rooms on level -10 so that (hopefully) those 50 citizens will do all the "Deep diving" and haulin on the bottom levels. I'm sure the AI will find a way to mess all that up, but I'm also flirting with the idea of "Guided Pathing".

Basically, on the lower levels where townies love to take long, ridiculous detours instead of straight lines, I am going to limit the access to these levels, then "Wall off" the level so that Townies have no choice but to take paths which I have roaded up to make them move quicker and avoid these weird round-about paths they like to take to get to their objective.

IF I get it up and running before the new patch, I'll post the screenies.
My 2 cents.
Check out my Let's Play videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Ghett0Messiah?feature=mhee
Steam ID = h0li-Ghett0
Ghett0

Postby Myriddan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:21 pm

I use 11x11 squares for building and in the center of my town dig an 11x11 hole to -2 using scaffolding. I then fill 0 with stone walls for a floor and use the main floor as a barracks, I repeat for each major level with a new barracks on each and stone stairs leading up to the previous barracks.
Myriddan

Return to Screens & tips