My first town

Show us your creations and tactics!

My first town

Postby Uriel » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi all :D
I want to show you a little sample of my town. It's a work in progres so in future I will show you more.

Uriel

Re: My first town

Postby Saevit » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:11 pm

Nice work !!
How long did it take to you to do all this ?
Saevit

Postby Uriel » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:35 am

It took me to build it about 2 weeks. Most time was spend for details ;)
If you know any program that can capture more area at once, plase send me pm, then I will post better screens - those above dont give full picture of my town.
Uriel

Postby CaRNage » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:16 pm

WOW! very very nice work! ;)
#jealous

:)
CaRNage

Postby Radsoc » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:02 am

Wow, impressive!

Did you build all that with just 14 citizens?

I think you'll have to record it, because it will be a lot of photoshopping otherwise, but I'm sure the devs could make some screenshot function in the future that captures it all in one press (At some layer).

I like your gate design and the underground entrance with the thrones overlooking it.
Radsoc

Postby caprontos » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:49 am

Yes It does look good.... when we get blocks that do not get destroyed by water imma make a sewer system on a map.. Your moat in your wall makes me want to more so haha..

Also in a map I did a long time ago I had the "entire" place with a carpentry zone .. like your masonry zone for a road .. and I accidentally deleted it - it froze the game for like 10mins..

For now the only way to put it all in one screenshot is to just take a bunch and piece them together in paint or something.

One thing you can do if you play the game in a smaller resolution - turn your resolution to max it can go.. then play the game windowed maximized... and you can see more of things at once... so you need less screenshots to capture it all.

It can be a bit slow on a larger town but... I like the way they turn out personally.. It's nice to see it all at once - even if just for personal use.
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby YetiChow » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:53 am

caprontos wrote:Yes It does look good.... when we get blocks that do not get destroyed by water imma make a sewer system on a map.. Your moat in your wall makes me want to more so haha..

Also in a map I did a long time ago I had the "entire" place with a carpentry zone .. like your masonry zone for a road .. and I accidentally deleted it - it froze the game for like 10mins..

For now the only way to put it all in one screenshot is to just take a bunch and piece them together in paint or something.

One thing you can do if you play the game in a smaller resolution - turn your resolution to max it can go.. then play the game windowed maximized... and you can see more of things at once... so you need less screenshots to capture it all.

It can be a bit slow on a larger town but... I like the way they turn out personally.. It's nice to see it all at once - even if just for personal use.

If you're not averse to modding (well I know you're not but others might be; that's more directed at them) then just stick in a couple of extra layers under the town (probably two layers for semi-realistic sewers your townies might have dug out, although I would personally do three layers so I could have a "walkway" on either side of the channels which would of course require that the channels be one layer lower and two layers for the townies to walk in... then again they make do with 1-high tunnels the rest of the time :lol:), then add in a new terrain with suitable graphics (rough bricks or a mossy version, or even the existing dungeon bricks?) to be the sewer channels and an action to convert from whatever the level generates into this tile, then a wall item with the same graphic so you can fill in the walls and ceiling... then flood the channels and hey presto, you have a sewer system!

Basically you dig out the "walkways" first at least three tiles wide and then one layer deeper to be the actual sewer, and then till the walkways into the sewer tiles to create "borders" which the water won't wash away - anything above the water level can be made of items.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Uriel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks for all good opinions.
In few days I want to finish few minor things and then I will post better screenshoots or maybe a wideo.
I play only with 14 citizens, for my use that is enought - bigger number requires more attention with food, gear and happines ;)
Uriel

Postby Ossisaverni » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:09 pm

Great work!

It's great :P
Ossisaverni

Postby caprontos » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:39 pm

YetiChow wrote:If you're not averse to modding (well I know you're not but others might be; that's more directed at them) then just stick in a couple of extra layers under the town (probably two layers for semi-realistic sewers your townies might have dug out, although I would personally do three layers so I could have a "walkway" on either side of the channels which would of course require that the channels be one layer lower and two layers for the townies to walk in... then again they make do with 1-high tunnels the rest of the time :lol:), then add in a new terrain with suitable graphics (rough bricks or a mossy version, or even the existing dungeon bricks?) to be the sewer channels and an action to convert from whatever the level generates into this tile, then a wall item with the same graphic so you can fill in the walls and ceiling... then flood the channels and hey presto, you have a sewer system!

Basically you dig out the "walkways" first at least three tiles wide and then one layer deeper to be the actual sewer, and then till the walkways into the sewer tiles to create "borders" which the water won't wash away - anything above the water level can be made of items.

Yes terrain changing would be one way to do it... and I figure I'd make it 1 high .. Stuff underground really does not need to be more then 1.. since you can never see it anyways with more then 1 :P.

But 2 would give you more room to work.. and the channel it self being possibly 2 deep/3 wide maybe.. So adding little bridges over it is easier..
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Next

Return to Screens & tips