Ghost farming 2.0

Show us your creations and tactics!

Ghost farming 2.0

Postby caprontos » Thu May 31, 2012 1:48 am

Awhile ago River discovered you could farm ghosts for nice gear.. well it became kinda meh in .45 due to there strength and then townies nerf - well with traps - we can start a new.. and much simpler:

Also ghosts do not drop a lot of gear.. a few hours and only 3 or so drops - so don't expect to get tons of fancies or anything... :P (of course 100 dead bodies may produce a few items :P)..

Anyways anyone have ideas how to improve on the concept? or a better method.. poison deals dmg the quickest and locked gates let you easily clean a room once you get ot many drops.. or a good drop easily..
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Re: Ghost farming 2.0

Postby ezryder » Thu May 31, 2012 2:32 am

How do you get your townies to place the remains in the alcoves?
ezryder

Postby caprontos » Thu May 31, 2012 2:59 am

stockpile - raw material under misc i think it is. Then delete it.
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby YetiChow » Thu May 31, 2012 6:12 am

Won't the ghosts attack the locked gates? And don't the remains disappear over time?

Also, I would use a system where the ghosts spawn in one area and travel across many traps trying to reach a group of soldiers (who are set on patrol in the middle of the killing room), who can then pwn them because they're (the ghosts, that is) already mortally wounded from being poisoned and hit by log traps, as well as bleeding and stunned. You could even throw in some archers and wizards to really guarantee that no ghosts actually reach the "bait" soldiers. This requires a larger input of townies, time and materials, but should increase the drop rate andthe chances of getting drops (especially if your farm is big)
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby lordcrekit » Thu May 31, 2012 6:20 am

at ^. More than one ghost can be spawned from one body at a time. Trust me. And you can actually build a bait 'object.'

But, monsters have a vision range of like, 0 blocks or something. The only time I ever see combat with them is when the dumb civilian suicide charges one. Or when one is already fighting and they happen to wander next to the fight.
lordcrekit

Postby caprontos » Thu May 31, 2012 2:23 pm

YetiChow wrote:Won't the ghosts attack the locked gates? And don't the remains disappear over time?

Also, I would use a system where the ghosts spawn in one area and travel across many traps trying to reach a group of soldiers (who are set on patrol in the middle of the killing room), who can then pwn them because they're (the ghosts, that is) already mortally wounded from being poisoned and hit by log traps, as well as bleeding and stunned. You could even throw in some archers and wizards to really guarantee that no ghosts actually reach the "bait" soldiers. This requires a larger input of townies, time and materials, but should increase the drop rate and the chances of getting drops (especially if your farm is big)

I don't think they attack locked gates, or try to go through an open one.. so locked gates just make it for easy containment.. The remains still haven't disappeared either and they are at lest a year old..

If they could break a locked gate I'd of kept them all fenced in.

Also your idea may not work at all.. I think.. - as they are very slow ghosts... I've seen one idle long enough on a poison trap to activate it 3 times..

I don't think they would travel to soldiers unless they can see them, and if they can see them your already pretty close.. though your free to build it and see how it works out.
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby Torgen » Thu May 31, 2012 4:16 pm

Ghosts can bash down a locked door ONLY if they are already aggroed when you lock it, and their target is on the other side. I tested this in .47 with a ghost farm to level up heroes. As long as they aren't aggroed, the ghosts can be next to the door and townies can walk right past them on the other side and nothing happens.
Torgen

Postby YetiChow » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:53 am

Ok, all of that makes sense. The main reason I suggested having a "guard post" was so that the townies could collect the loot without having to worry about closing and opening locked doors. I know it's not a major hassle, but build a loot farm I want it to be totally automatic. Really, the main point of my idea is a moderately long hallway with lots of traps to slow the ghosts down, and a block of archers shooting at them whilst taking cover behind melee soldiers. Using the new gold weapons the ghosts would have no chance, and the archers would have 7-10 blocks LoS so the ghosts could be lured from a fair distance away. Again, though, the only advantage to this method is that you can set it up and leave it go without having to watch it constanly - it's only really useful for a developed town with soldiers and corpses to spare, but not too much high-level gear.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby caprontos » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:48 pm

YetiChow wrote:Ok, all of that makes sense. The main reason I suggested having a "guard post" was so that the townies could collect the loot without having to worry about closing and opening locked doors. I know it's not a major hassle, but build a loot farm I want it to be totally automatic. Really, the main point of my idea is a moderately long hallway with lots of traps to slow the ghosts down, and a block of archers shooting at them whilst taking cover behind melee soldiers. Using the new gold weapons the ghosts would have no chance, and the archers would have 7-10 blocks LoS so the ghosts could be lured from a fair distance away. Again, though, the only advantage to this method is that you can set it up and leave it go without having to watch it constantly - it's only really useful for a developed town with soldiers and corpses to spare, but not too much high-level gear.

it might work out, if you do it make sure the hall is 3 wide and traps down the center, with a few spacers every so often to ensure the ghost stays on the trap trail..

I can see wanting it fully automatic but I don't see the drop % being worth while enough for it :S it takes hours to get a single drop..

and if you can a few of the tiger (not that hard to do really) items you can have even more range..

biggest benefit to that way is probably more bodies can be put in less space..

but if to many ghosts are in the hall and something drops,... a townie could run in and get killed :S
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby ezryder » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:27 pm

I have decorations in my crypts around my graves (flower gardens, statues and bone candlesticks) and they don't seem to spawn ghosts. Ever. Is this by design? If so that's pretty cool. :)
ezryder

Next

Return to Screens & tips