Roofing Styles

Show us your creations and tactics!

Roofing Styles

Postby QueEsQueso » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:04 pm

Hey guys!

So I've been messing around quite a bit with different colors, roofing, multiple levels, and all sorts of other stuff. I've got a few different styles of roofing that I'd like your input on. Just some fun stuffs. If you have any other ideas on roofing styles then I'd love to see them!
EDIT: Not sure why imgur is cutting off the screenshots, but nothing is centered and it is kinda frustrating. Sorry!
EDIT2: Pictures are fixed! The maximum size for an image to be posted here is 1000x1000 and my originals were 1600x900 haha whoops!

Style #1: Two Roof Tiles
Spoiler:

Style #2: Ugly as Balls
Spoiler:

Style #3: Much Improved Style #2
Spoiler:

Style #4: Multiple Level Building
Spoiler:
Last edited by QueEsQueso on Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QueEsQueso

Re: Roofing Styles

Postby YetiChow » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:15 am

Ooh, I love the use of thin wooden walls as "railings". The pagoda-style roofs work pretty well; I've seen a similar idea using blue roofs and white walls to replicate Japanese castles...

Another idea that brings to mind would be creating awnings over the windows; and balconies with an overhang underneath them to create Victorian-style cottages and mansions.

One thing I've tried, with mixed success, was a "Dutch gable" thatched roof using the straw roofs and blocks. It works pretty well at small scales like for 5-wide barns (used to hide animal farms); but any larger than that the curves become really blocky and ugly.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby QueEsQueso » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:37 am

Thanks! I wasn't too keen when the darker wood texture was used as the railing on the lighter wood block, but flipped? It turned out alright. I really wanted to try the glass walls on the inside, but never got around to it. This town may, or may not, have been overrun by hobgoblins and slimes about 15 minutes after I took these screenshots haha.

Oh, I never thought of the Japanese style castles and pagodas.... That'd be sweet! And I love the awning idea!

Hmm... With the barn, though... I'm having a hard time picturing it. Do you have a screenshot?
QueEsQueso

Postby ragnar » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:40 pm

Looks nice. Shame that I am a lazy bastard, all my buildings look like crap :)
ragnar

Postby QueEsQueso » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:23 pm

ragnar wrote:Looks nice. Shame that I am a lazy bastard, all my buildings look like crap :)

Aww. I'm sure they're not that bad haha.

YetiChow wrote:Ooh, I love the use of thin wooden walls as "railings". The pagoda-style roofs work pretty well; I've seen a similar idea using blue roofs and white walls to replicate Japanese castles...

Yeti, I've been working on the pagoda idea. This is really difficult to make it look decent haha. I was trying to mix up some colors to see if anything besides white w/blue would work.

Spoiler:

Also, the one on the right? It's a citizen's home. I put down the minimum 3x3 area and then put walls around the outer edge. Poor Geoffrey literally only has enough room for a bed in his house bahahaha

Spoiler:

Completely unrelated question - what is the maximum pixel size for posting pictures? I think that may be why my photos are cutting off on the right side...
Edit: I figured it out! The cutoff is 1000x1000! I fixed all of my pictures in my original post :)
QueEsQueso

Return to Screens & tips