The Village of Munneville

Show us your creations and tactics!

The Village of Munneville

Postby Badger » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:04 pm

Feel like sharing pics of my current town. Click images to see larger versions of them.

This is Munneville. Named after one of the pioneers, Simon Munneville.

This is a progress shot taken at the end of year 1. Here are this town's current stats:

24 Townies
1 Hero
4 Deaths

I intend to upload an updated shot for every major event and at the end of every year. Once this town dies, it will be buried by badgers.

Would love to hear any comments!
Last edited by Badger on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Badger

Re: The Village of Munneville

Postby YetiChow » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:39 am

How is it that you always manage to make really impressive, eye-catching buildings with such a limited palette of materials?

Looking at those materials, I know they're the easiest to build (in fact, looking at the code they literally are the easiest - shortest build times, lowest material costs, and largely made out of byproducts or "leftovers"), and yet done en-masse like you do Badger they just work really well together.

I really love the idea of using the market as a "road"; and I think it would actually look pretty good if it was piled up with bought things (e.g. if you're buying metals or furniture) - a kind of "we'll just leave this here until we find a place for it" feel.

The shrine is just awesome - in fact, I'm stealing the idea for my own project :lol:

One thing you may want to try, some people might find it "cheating" but IMO it fits with the houses-style living arrangement: if you build the bunk beds, you can lay zones over the top of them. I like to lay a couple of small personal rooms (I tend to cut them down to 2x3 or 2x2 and put a couple in the same room, either as "dorms" or family rooms), put bunk beds along the walls, and then fill the floorspace up with scaffolds before laying the upper level of personal rooms and deleting the scaffolds. It makes sense to make use of those 2-high personal rooms (and judging by the windows, it looks like you've given your townies headroom at least... :lol:)

It's great to see the smaller end of the gameplay on display - it can be just as glamourous as the big stuff, and a lot more exciting than waiting for the workers to finish a massive foundation :lol: I'd be very excited to see this town progress :)
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Badger » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:35 pm

YetiChow wrote:How is it that you always manage to make really impressive, eye-catching buildings with such a limited palette of materials?

Looking at those materials, I know they're the easiest to build (in fact, looking at the code they literally are the easiest - shortest build times, lowest material costs, and largely made out of byproducts or "leftovers"), and yet done en-masse like you do Badger they just work really well together.

Thanks! It typically takes me about 3 in-game months for me to set up houses for the pioneers, and once that's done I start to work on houses for immigrants and other buildings. For roofing, I usually only do "wheat, wood, and broken" roofs. However, I wanted to add a little color to my village so I added a small flower garden in the center of town, having some townies harvest what is needed while I do other tasks with the other townies. For windows, I use "farm-fences" as an alternative for windows since I didn't have a forge. But now that I do, I intend to replace the farm windows with proper glass ones on some of the buildings.

YetiChow wrote:One thing you may want to try, some people might find it "cheating" but IMO it fits with the houses-style living arrangement: if you build the bunk beds, you can lay zones over the top of them. I like to lay a couple of small personal rooms (I tend to cut them down to 2x3 or 2x2 and put a couple in the same room, either as "dorms" or family rooms), put bunk beds along the walls, and then fill the floorspace up with scaffolds before laying the upper level of personal rooms and deleting the scaffolds. It makes sense to make use of those 2-high personal rooms (and judging by the windows, it looks like you've given your townies headroom at least... :lol:)

That sounds like a neat little trick, and seems easier than the "water" trick. I'll perhaps try it on my next town.

YetiChow wrote:It's great to see the smaller end of the gameplay on display - it can be just as glamourous as the big stuff, and a lot more exciting than waiting for the workers to finish a massive foundation :lol: I'd be very excited to see this town progress :)

Agreed. Shouldn't be too long for an update now, as I'm halfway through year 2. And this should make for an interesting update as it has been a rather hectic year for Simon and his fellow townies. >_>
Badger

Postby YetiChow » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:03 am

Yeah, I know how it gets when you're recording a game - especially with screenshots, although I've seen it happen even in videos - where you get started on one project, have to do something else to keep the town stable, and then the half-finished projects pile up as you rotate townies between them... suddenly you're like "woah, it's been months since the last screenshot", and you have to "engineer" a situation and an explanation as to why everyone was so busy that they couldn't stop to take a sketch in the last months :lol:

That said, since you're doing a monthly update that shouldn't be a problem for you.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Badger » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:42 pm

This is a progress shot taken at the end of year 2. Here are the town's current stats:

31 townies
4 heroes
many deaths

This post had more images originally, but I've since deleted them off my imgur account. Still kept the tinypic images cuz, well... I don't freaking use tinypic.
Last edited by Badger on Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Badger

Postby Badger » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:02 am

Here is a progress shot at the end of year 3. More houses were added and you'll notice I also either replaced or modified a few buildings.

Population is staying around 31, but doesn't mean there haven't been any deaths. No, there were plenty of premature deaths.

I'm going to be taking a hiatus from this game for awhile. Simply kinda sad after recent events surrounding this game. Uncertain of the future of this game or if it even has a future at all. I've certainly had fun with this game though and this town in particular. One of the best towns I've made so far. I may come back to this game later on and will continue to lurk around on the forums awaiting any news.
Badger

Postby Aftermath » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:24 am

This is really impressive. You're playing the way it was meant to be done.

I really like the flower/armor stalls, I think it's my favorite part. That's a really clever use of the logs/flooring for the pillar and counter look. The detail on the chicken farm stands out as well.
Aftermath

Postby Badger » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:02 am

This town in particular was the most fun I've had with this game, and I managed to accomplish it in vanilla.

Would like to return to this game at some point if I could ever figure out how mods work, which seems highly unlikely since I'm such a technologically inept duck. Oh well.
Badger

Postby BlueSteelAUS » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:41 am

I thought you were a badger not a duck. lol
BlueSteelAUS

Return to Screens & tips