The Excavation

Show us your creations and tactics!

The Excavation

Postby Trinmast » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:26 am

Well I didn't want to keep hijacking another thread, so I'll just throw this out there for anyone interested, though I should have at least one fan in Hyrus.

My own creations are...uninspiring:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/erw7y7s5g ... TheBox.JPG
That's partly because when I first started playing, I had problems when I tried to do anything else, so I designed a method that puts everything as close to each other as possible. Also, I'm more interested in getting the heroes geared up to get into dungeons than creating things...my artistic skills are poor.

I've installed the archaeology mod, initially because it added so many more levels (down to -39), meaning that much more fighting, gearing, etc etc. But once I ran into the ruins, I became fascinated with the idea of digging them out and figuring out how the old town worked. To dig out and clear that many layers, however, required moving massive quantities of stone, and I had no idea what to do with it. Hence, the reservoir:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/x5jkahc5s ... ervoir.JPG
It started out 1 thickness of La Pedrera wall, then another, then another as I just couldn't use the stone fast enough, until finally it was 5 layers thick. I built it 35 layers deep, stopping there because I discovered another set of ruins beneath. I haven't gone below that layer yet, as I want to finish digging out the first town. Only once I had completely finished did I discover that La Pedrera wall isn't a fluid blocker....OOPS. So I had to create a liner, but hey, that used more stone!

Then, discovering I had yet more quantities of stone, I have started another reservoir, which if you look on the minimap, you'll see next to the first one.

Remember, all this was to serve the purpose of excavating the buried town. And what a town!
Whatever could this be, way in the corner?
https://www.mediafire.com/?6o44ije4cw02ti8
Initially I started scavenging items, like all the glass in the tower, but that rubbed me the wrong way, and after my town was fully operational, I started restoring everything as well as I could.
This is the state of the main town, and there are two more solid stone layers yet to remove to completely uncover the surface parts:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/g5jj7bjj2 ... vation.JPG
But there's so much more! Is this a defensive structure?
https://www.mediafire.com/?72rsacd093787br
What purpose does the glass room serve?
https://www.mediafire.com/?8cdzt42bjg2f19s
In the building to the right, beneath the roof there is a small glass-windowed terrace with a single ruined throne. Who sat here? A priest? A ruler? Such mysteries. Perhaps as more is revealed, the answers will become evident.

I started looking at Hyrus' thread, and once I started seeing how things were set up, I stopped looking - I want to guess and figure things out first, then go see if I was right. It's a struggle to be patient, there's still a lot of digging left.
Trinmast

Re: The Excavation

Postby Hyrus » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:49 am

That's pretty good! :) Shame I never completely finished the town, though you still have plenty to discover!
Hyrus

Postby burningpet » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:51 pm

We really should automate uploading of buried towns. so players will always find new towns buried down.
burningpet

Postby YetiChow » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:34 am

burningpet wrote:We really should automate uploading of buried towns. so players will always find new towns buried down.

Would that be done immediately when the player buries a town (i.e. when they hit the "bury town" button in-game), or from the main menu?

I'd suggest the second option, simply because I suspect a lot of players will spend quite a bit of time offline while playing the game. I guess the ideal solution would be an "Automatically upload buried towns" option in with the game options, so players can choose to have it happen as soon as a town is buried or only by conscious action from the main menu.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby muzzy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:36 pm

burningpet wrote:We really should automate uploading of buried towns. so players will always find new towns buried down.

What could possibly go wrong?

*uploads a few hundred hellish nightmarish bullshit towns with just ladders connecting the heavens to the depths of hell*
muzzy

Postby Badger » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:06 pm

muzzy wrote:

*uploads a few hundred hellish nightmarish bullshit towns with just ladders connecting the heavens to the depths of hell*

Make sure to make some houses shaped like penises to, cuz creativity. :3
Badger

Postby muzzy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:11 pm

Badger wrote:
muzzy wrote:

Make sure to make some houses shaped like penises to, cuz creativity. :3

And nazi symbols! Upload SO MANY buried towns that there's some 99% chance every player will get a buried nazi memorial site! That should get Steam's attention as well, right?
muzzy

Postby Trinmast » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:37 am

That's why we can never have good things, as they say. Still, the good and bad of development is your sphere of alternatives just gets bigger with each change, so I can just bet you're not lacking for ideas.

In any case, I haven't dug more out of the city yet, as I got myself stuck on another part of town for now. The reservoir is up to -8, and the backup tank is getting close to done, though that one should take about 4 years to fill.
Trinmast

Postby burningpet » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:31 am

muzzy wrote:

There could be restrictions, for examples: a certain number of townies, a certain town value, a certain minimum level heroes, etc....

yes, there will still be crap towns uploaded, but far less.
burningpet

Postby muzzy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:15 pm

burningpet wrote:There could be restrictions, for examples: a certain number of townies, a certain town value, a certain minimum level heroes, etc...

Restrictions on serverside or clientside? I could still upload anything I wanted to unless those calculations were done on the server. There's no tool for something like that currently.

And then there's the issue of corrupt saves that crash the game. I could upload a handcrafted buryfile that would crash the game whenever someone tried to use it...
muzzy

Next

Return to Screens & tips