Food Production

Show us your creations and tactics!

Re: Food Production

Postby Deviator » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:05 pm

I am doing banana bread. I have 10 harvest/cook, 10 hauler/trader and 18 "other" specifically set to not harvest, cook, or trade, plus I have 6 heroes. I have 2 (9x9) wheat farms and 2 (9x9) banana farms and right in the middle is my (9x9) bakery with 8 mills, 8 ovens and 8 tables. I have my unprepared and prepared food barrels inside the bakery. I have set to keep 20 wheat, 20 flour, 20 banana, 20 bread and 40 banana bread in stock and so far have had no issues keeping up. Sometimes I even have 1 or 2 of my harvest/cook group sitting in the market hanging out.

Do townies eat the best possible food, or do they randomly select food from your available stocks? I want them to focus on the banana bread and not eat my bananas or regular bread.
Deviator

Postby burningpet » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:36 pm

They will aim to go for the best food.
burningpet

Postby YetiChow » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:20 am

burningpet wrote:They will aim to go for the best food.

If they are eating bananas or bread, it's because they're hungry *right now* and there's no banana bread available. The best solution to this, oddly, is to over-stock on ingredients - that way the banana bread will be available ASAP and there's much less chance of townies not being able to find some when they get hungry. It also means that you can have all of your baking utils in use at once. Even if worst comes to worst and they have to eat raw ingredients to survive, they won't be taking ingredients away from any other queued-up baking tasks.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Previous

Return to Screens & tips