My bread production went into the can. Can I get some help?

Show us your creations and tactics!

My bread production went into the can. Can I get some help?

Postby Uziel » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:06 am

Hey, I've been playing Towns for a couple weeks now, and I've finally gotten to a point where I thought I was all built up and self sufficient. Up until I started adding a bunch of new immigrants (I finally figured out how to make everyone happy: Have them do nothing for a while. It's an oversimplication, but...)

Anyway, I build my tavern (three levels, what a chore) and everything was good.

To my shock, I realized that I had completely run out of wheat to feed my animals, and bread to feed my people.

Nobody has starved. Bread production is barely higher than my consumption. But I have no idea how to increase it. I've already lost one hero due to the lack of food. I don't want something coming along and end up starving my people out.

Here are some screens.

This is my main kitchen. I don't have any iron yet, but I will soon. That used to be enough, but somewhere along the way it ceased being enough. There is a second kitchen/bakery on a second floor above. Don't worry, there is stair access.

So I planted this field to increase my wheat output. It hasn't been enough. I've actually dedicated a group of citizens exclusively to gathering wheat but it's just not cutting it.

This is my tavern. The prepared food barrels (all empty) are right next to it. Is there anything else I need to think about with this?

Also, this is my dungeon entrance. I was hoping to do something more organized, but I hit an opening. Any thoughts? The idea was to have a circling gauntlet of traps for monsters to have to run through before reaching the entrance, which is right in front of one of my barracks.

This is the dungeon itself.
Uziel

Re: My bread production went into the can. Can I get some he

Postby exelsisxax » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:36 pm

How many townies are in groups able to bake? You've got excess wheat, it just seems that your labor to make flour/bread is too low. Additionally, feeding animals is inefficient and pointless unless you have a contrived egg or milk based food supply. Stop everyone from feeding animals and they'll be slightly more productive.
exelsisxax

Postby Hyrus » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:58 pm

Off the top of my head, I could think of a solution to start: make holes in your wheat field for them to drop the wheat they just harvested in. That way, they don't have to walk all the way to its border, which makes them lose time. If you want to store wheat in barrels, place the barrels in those empty spots. The mills should also be very close to the place where you're storing your wheat (or the field itself if you're not storing it), because it will reduce the length of trips to it by the townies.

Finally, the place you store the flour in needs to be very close to the production tables. And, as the person above pointed out, don't ever feed animals, it's useless.

Another thing to keep in mind is that gathering encompasses every gathering activity, not just food. Flowers, wood from planted trees, etc, also count, so you need to keep that in mind - if it's too far from your field, townies will be walking a lot between jobs. It gets even worse if the gatherers live far from both sites. As your town is still very small, you can assign manually the houses closest to their jobs to specific townies. I've found that it helps immensely - even though it's kind of annoying to keep that organized, especially when townies die and the city grows.

Edit: here's an example of the holes in the wheat field I was talking about.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/nwmh5a387 ... tfield.jpg
Hyrus

Postby Uziel » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:44 pm

Hyrus wrote:Off the top of my head, I could think of a solution to start: make holes in your wheat field for them to drop the wheat they just harvested in. That way, they don't have to walk all the way to its border, which makes them lose time. If you want to store wheat in barrels, place the barrels in those empty spots. The mills should also be very close to the place where you're storing your wheat (or the field itself if you're not storing it), because it will reduce the length of trips to it by the townies.

Finally, the place you store the flour in needs to be very close to the production tables. And, as the person above pointed out, don't ever feed animals, it's useless.

Another thing to keep in mind is that gathering encompasses every gathering activity, not just food. Flowers, wood from planted trees, etc, also count, so you need to keep that in mind - if it's too far from your field, townies will be walking a lot between jobs. It gets even worse if the gatherers live far from both sites. As your town is still very small, you can assign manually the houses closest to their jobs to specific townies. I've found that it helps immensely - even though it's kind of annoying to keep that organized, especially when townies die and the city grows.

Edit: here's an example of the holes in the wheat field I was talking about.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/nwmh5a387 ... tfield.jpg

Thanks I'll try that. Also how do I stop those evil badgers from nicking my stuff?
Uziel

Postby Hyrus » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:31 pm

I don't know, as I'm usually busy doing other stuff and never see them... Maybe because I play on higher speeds. I only notice I'm missing barrels after they're already long gone!
Hyrus

Postby YetiChow » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:21 am

A good one for badgers is to put most of your supplies in a "vault" with a single door, then chuck a couple of bear and poison traps in front of it - any barrels in high-traffic areas should already be "guarded" by townies, you only have to worry about food stored out of the way.

That said, the thieves you really have to watch out for are the red-clad rogues - the badgers are limited to food, but the rogues will take anything not nailed down :lol: Again though, they're only an issue for your out of the way stockpiles; anywhere with people milling around will be fine
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby blackrosegul » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:07 pm

Which makes them lose time. If you want to store wheat in barrels, place the barrels in those empty spots. The mills should also be very close to the place where you're storing your wheat (or the field itself if you're not storing it), because it will reduce the length of trips to it by the townies.???
You can easily check out our high quality cipt1 book which prepares you well ccna download - pass-4sure for the You can also get success in real network + certification cost with the quality
blackrosegul

Return to Screens & tips