Share screenshots of your town.

Show us your creations and tactics!

Share screenshots of your town.

Postby Badger » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:58 pm

I'm just curious to see as to how everyone else builds their towns. Here's the last town I made:

Badger

Re: Share screenshots of your town.

Postby ragnar » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:26 pm

This is my ugly town with one big structure for all my people :D .

ragnar

Postby YetiChow » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:52 am

Have you ever tried a fully "internalised" town, ie a whole town inside a single building? It's a surprisingly refreshing take on the idea of a "town", and since you only have one building to work on it becomes a lot easier to deal with things like sieges. The downside, however, is that access for builders can be tricky if you're new to it - the usual tricks work, it's just that you need to use most if not all of them at once to avoid anyone getting stuck.

I'm currently working on a mountains map town, not worth posting any screens yet since I haven't even started with buildings (good thing my townies don't seem to mind camping out... maybe it's the view? :lol:) but I'm really happy with how my dam and "terraced farm" turned out. The dam will probably get some changes (in fact, I'll probably build right over the existing one... it looked like a good pattern at the time, but now it's too stripy :lol:), but it looks great set into the hill behind the town.

Oh, and there's my graveyard-slash-zombie farm. I'm still playing on v14 as opposed to v14b, so every once in a while I get a horde of zombies in the graveyard... I decided to capitalise on that with some traps, and I haven't had a danged zombie spawn since :lol:
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Badger » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:45 am

@ ragnar:

I've noticed that quite a couple'o'people make big ugly yet functional buildings. I prefer to make towns that are more aesthetically pleasing than they are efficient.

Anybody else got some screenshots they'd like to share? I'd love to see them. :3
Badger

Postby Valor00 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:06 am

I might have some when i actually figure out how to keep my townies alive. Sorry allow me to rephrase... past a certain point. Been looking over the posts about how everyone gets la la la done, and keeps them all alive, but have yet to get it to work I am sure i am missing something, but i'll eventually figure it out. :D
Valor00

Postby YetiChow » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:24 am

Valor00 wrote:I might have some when i actually figure out how to keep my townies alive. Sorry allow me to rephrase... past a certain point. Been looking over the posts about how everyone gets la la la done, and keeps them all alive, but have yet to get it to work I am sure i am missing something, but i'll eventually figure it out. :D

My main suggestiion is always balance and baby steps - organise your people into groups, for starting out I like 3 chefs, 3 farmers and a utility group but your mileage will vary; get your food production stable; then do one thing at a time with your utility group. If you need to do 2 things at once, split the utility group up into 2 sub-groups and break down their priorities so they're only doing those two things - utility group A only does job A, utility group B only does job B etc. Eventually you'll be able to break them down into a single group for each priority, at which point your town should be capable of anything if you keep your number of tasks balanced with the number of people in the relevent group :D
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Trinmast » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:33 pm

I didn't want to make a whole new thread for one image, so hopefully I'm not digging up a thread improperly.

I'm using the archaeology mod, with 40 dungeon levels, and decided to fully excavate the buried town. But what to do with all that stone? I thought I'd build a reservoir:

It's roughly 50x50. As am amusing side note, I built slowly with the La Pedrera wall, and eventually had to make it 5 layers thick to keep up with all my excess stone. I stopped when I hit -35 as I discovered yet another town below that point and didn't want to flood it - if you click through for the full image, I'm building another, larger reservoir next to it. You can also see I have a single fluids elevator there to empty it out for maintenance.

I opened the river up to fill it, maybe 20 squares of flow, and it's been filling for almost a year of game time. It reached -20 so far, so under halfway.
Trinmast

Postby Badger » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:57 pm

That's quite a large swimming pool, there. Nicely done! Got any good images of the town you excavated?
Badger

Postby Trinmast » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:46 pm

I'm still in the process, but here's the top layer of much of the town:

Anyone recognize it?? I suppose that would be unlikely. The buildings look pristine since I've been restoring them as I go. Reservoir is up to -17!
Trinmast

Postby Hyrus » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:32 am

That is my town! The one in my signature hehehe... Tell me if you like it!
Hyrus

Next

Return to Screens & tips