Help with archers defense

Show us your creations and tactics!

Help with archers defense

Postby Qubycus » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:16 am

I have a single block-width entry bridge into my town. Parallel to this bridge is another bridge (they are separated by a single-block river). The big idea was to have archers patrol the 2nd bridge and rain down arrows on any enemies coming on the main bridge. However, :shock: my archers don't even notice the enemies. I thought 2 or 3 blocks away the enemies would be in LOS? Any suggestions or is this approach not possible?
Qubycus

Re: Help with archers defense

Postby Haggy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:08 am

I do not know, unfortunately. But what previously was very effective for me, was a modified version of the hammer-anvil tactic.

A very well-armored defenders, with many values ​​is def front, 3 melee designed for maximum damage behind it, and in 3 Row 3 shooter. 2 spare Def should always be prepared. If he has to go to hospital. Or dies. Or: Direct position 3 in a row.

But I will try with the river also, maybe they can shoot only when they imagine they can also be run towards without interruption. I mean: a straight line. But as I said, I do not know.
My English is bad. Sorry, but this will not Change.

Schreib einfach in deutsch zurück ;)

Haggys Mod Comp.
Haggy

Postby Dremire » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:22 am

For LOS you need straight undisrupted path, any kind of wall pit or water block it. So making archers to shoot over a moat is currently impossible.
Dremire

Postby YetiChow » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:25 am

Dremire wrote:For LOS you need straight undisrupted path, any kind of wall pit or water block it. So making archers to shoot over a moat is currently impossible.

there is a kind-of workaround: keep the moat dry with floodgates and put your archers in it where the monsters will have to come through, and when the archers get close to being attacked you pull them back (pause game, delete patrol point and set it behind the moat), then flood the moat. If you set it up that you have a "bridge" or road with the moat running across it, you can have 90% of the town surrounded and only the small entrance which is left dry - you can make an "airlock" setup where if you close one set of floodgates and open the other then it fills with water to block incoming enemies, then you reverse the state of the flood gates to drain the section of moat blocking the door.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Dremire » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:33 pm

it's workaround for what, exactly? What it supposed to do, other than cut siege into smaller parts.
We where talking about shooting from safe position.
Dremire

Postby Haggy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:37 pm

For example, from a watchtower shoot down. Secure the castle walls. Etc.
My English is bad. Sorry, but this will not Change.

Schreib einfach in deutsch zurück ;)

Haggys Mod Comp.
Haggy

Postby YetiChow » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:34 am

Well, the idea is that you can be shooting at the monsters and then stop them getting to the townies. You could do it in a looping "kill hall", so the monsters can never catch up to your townies; which is the same effect as a high wall.

Then again, I said it was "technically a kind-of workaround" - I never said it was any good :lol: You should know by now that I love coming up with solutions for in-game challenges, but while they're always technically possible they're very rarely practical :lol:
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Return to Screens & tips