Playing with the various designs

Show us your creations and tactics!

Re: Playing with the various designs

Postby YetiChow » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:46 am

johanwanderer wrote:
LittleMikey wrote:I love the greenhouse! Maybe build the corners out of wood so they don't have the gaps?

Thanks! I was actually thinking about making a "frame" for it instead. Both around the top as well as up and down the four corners. It would be cool to mod in some iron/steel framing though, but I'll have to experiment with the various wall blocks and see how they look first.

If you're not sure about any of the modding processes, feel free to drop me a line. Your greenhouse NEEDS such a mod so that it can take its rightful place as the awesomest greenhouse build in the last month or so, and anything I can do to help would be an honour :lol:
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby johanwanderer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:52 am

YetiChow wrote:
johanwanderer wrote:
Thanks! I was actually thinking about making a "frame" for it instead. Both around the top as well as up and down the four corners. It would be cool to mod in some iron/steel framing though, but I'll have to experiment with the various wall blocks and see how they look first.

If you're not sure about any of the modding processes, feel free to drop me a line. Your greenhouse NEEDS such a mod so that it can take its rightful place as the awesomest greenhouse build in the last month or so, and anything I can do to help would be an honour :lol:

Thanks YetiChow! I remember seeing a tutorial about making sprites here somewhere, so I'll give it a shot. I don't have Sketchup, but I think GIMP should do the trick. It might take me a while though.
johanwanderer

Postby johanwanderer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:31 am

Success!

I went ahead and created a "framed glass floor" block that is full-height, and requires one iron and one glass to build.
A few problems:
  • The "translucent" tag applies to the whole block, not just portions of it.
  • I didn't create a separated "flatten" version of the block, so it does not flatten (T/Z key) at all.
  • The blocks are meant to enclose a section of glass floor wall blocks. Sandwiching them between other blocks are discouraged :)

Please let me know if you guys would like me to upload the mod.

Here is the full image on Steam
Relevant portion:

I went ahead and upload the MOD here: http://townsmods.net/projects/view/71
The download includes both Sketchup and GIMP files.
johanwanderer

Postby YetiChow » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:18 am

First of all, congratulations on your first released mod! your jacket is in the mail, welcome to the club! :D

Your jacket may not actually be in the mail, jackets may or may not be a figments of my imagination. This post does not in any way represent the Towns developemnt team, SMP games or the townsgame.net :lol:

The <transperant> tag doesn't handle graphical transperancy, rather it handles whether light from in-game sources can pass through the object. It works perfectly well to mix and match opaque and transulcent pixels in any sprite, in fact some vanilla items already do this (although the Devs try to avoid it for variosu reasons, mostly image/data file size).

You could very easily do an iron-framed glass block as a 'greenhouse' wall, and furthermore you could do thin versions and make a 'roof' (45 degree angled version) tile to connect the thin versions and flat/horizontal panels. In fact, I'm going to throw together a sprite sheet showing what I mean that you can feel free to use to add to your mod with - variety is always good :D
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby johanwanderer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:30 am

Thanks for the (possibly imaginary) jacket.

I was too focused on the "framed" idea, and didn't even consider the sloped roof idea. That would probably look much better.

Having said that, I'll keep working on the current wall, maybe removing the translucent property and see how the game renders my glass-framed-by-brushed-aluminum blocks.
johanwanderer

Postby Poobles » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:39 pm

It's really interesting to see how you guys use the different walls. I guess i always just make the same looking things over and over.

I'll post some screen shots tonight. :D
Poobles

Previous

Return to Screens & tips