~Mod Loader INSTRUCTIONS~

Post your mods and custom content here

~Mod Loader INSTRUCTIONS~

Postby Halemore » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:08 pm

Greetings everyone,

If you are new to Towns and interested in using any of the mods you may have found but are not certain how to get them to work, you are not alone. I just learned where to locate the mods folder in Windows 7 today after hours of reading the forums without finding the answers until someone responded to a post (Thank you Ragnar!) and told me where to find it. Once locating that folder it was as simple as installing a minecraft mod, if not more so. It is my intention to have this post be a gathering of knowledge for the users of Towns that desperately want to get those pesky heads added to the burner but have no idea how to use the mods.

Disclaimer: I am new to all of it as well, so I likely will not be able to answer any questions that might arise. All I can do is get this post rolling because there doesn't appear to be a newb friendly post out there on this topic. Any and all additional information that avid users of the modding system can add about anything, including but not limited to how to find the mods folder on other operating systems is welcome.

Step 1:The easiest way to find the mods folder is to go to the file search function on windows and type .Towns and press enter. That should bring you to a folder that has 3 folders in it (bury, mods, save).

Step 2: Open up the folder called "mods" and place the unzipped folder of the mod that you have downloaded into that folder.

Step 3: Run the Towns game and click on the main menu option "Mods" and inside of that menu it should have the name of the unzipped folder of the mod that you just put into that folder. Click on it to turn that particular mod on.

and of course last but not least...

Step 4: Profit...

EDIT: Not every mod is compatible with each other. If a mod changes code that another mod requires to be a specific way, that other mod would not work because the first mod changed the code that was needed by the second mod.
Last edited by Halemore on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Halemore

Re: ~Mod Loader INSTRUCTIONS~

Postby tom k. » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:30 pm

In v13, there will be a button in the mods menu to open the mods folder :)
Tom K.
Former Community Moderator

Please read the FAQs before posting.
Towns' Official Modding Partner Site - Townsmods.net
tom k.

Postby Halemore » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:28 am

tom k. wrote:In v13, there will be a button in the mods menu to open the mods folder :)

^ pro status! That will make it much easier for newbies like myself to find the correct folder. I kept trying to put it into my steamapps towns folder then created a mods folder and obviously that wasn't working. lol
Halemore

Postby CaRNage » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:04 pm

Hey,

Ive returned to Towns after a long break ( took up far to much of my time :P)

The last version i was on was maybe v.50 i think, back when you used the mod installer.

Anyway i'm starting a new town and i need the same mods (quarryz etc) Ive put them all into the correct directory and can see the options in the game.

But when i actually turn it on and playnone of the mods appear? can anyone help?

Thanks!
CaRNage

Postby johanwanderer » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:39 pm

You might need to upgrade/downgrade Towns and/or mods. If you upgraded Towns from v0.5 to v13a, and not doing the same to the mods, chances are they are no longer compatible.
johanwanderer

Postby Sidereal_Aeon » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:14 pm

Hey, thanks for this. I am a newb at this. Normally I wouldn't bother trying to mod a game like this, but after two dozen attempts to start a game I got so SICK of watching my citizens all get killed (all 11 in less than 15 minutes) when a "ghost of heroes past" just magically appears INSIDE my carpentry zone. So I'm not looking for much, really... just want to beef up my citizens so they can handle themselves until I can make them happy enough to attract some reinforcements. Maybe make them run faster and eat less, definitely try to give them better HP or defense. And now I know where to put the mods. Thanks a bunch for that.
Sidereal_Aeon

Postby BlueSteelAUS » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:21 pm

ghost of heroes past , means that you left a citizens body out to rot, you should either bury them in like a room crypt with a door. or just right click on the corpse and select remove corpse. hope this helps. the other things that you need to watch out for are some trees aren't real trees , some pigs can turn into ware pigs. don't let citizens go down below where you've cleared out using equipped soldiers and patrol points( there's an up/down arrow on your citizens panel. and one on your soldiers panel).

generally you shouldn't need to mod if you understand the game , if you don't understand the game then you'll find it had to mod. but learning to mod will get you a better insight into how the game works. so its kind of a catch 22 situation. To learn modding I'd suggest looking at others mods that have already been written and understand what and why they are changing things. by the looks of things the MAIN file you'll want to mod is the livingentities.xml. your mods (if your using the inbuilt mod loader) would go in your .towns folder (where your saves folder is) you may need to make a mods folder, this is where you'll place your mods. If you want to edit the files directly (not recommended unless you know what your doing AND have a full backup of the original files for when you do stuff things up. (not picking on you here , everyone stuff up from time to time. and until you know what your doing)
BlueSteelAUS

Return to Modding