DooM (Mod)

Post your mods and custom content here

Re: DooM (Mod)

Postby YetiChow » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:16 am

Most of your "assets" (sprites predominantly) should be fine, and now you can add sounds and a whole heaps of other such things... for example, a "laser drill" sound for mining the stalagmites :)

As for the code... yeah, you'll want to put on a couple of pots of coffee when you sit down to update that :lol:

If you'd like any suggestions or ideas how to convert your old mechanics to fit with the current update, a rough list of what's changed, or any other advice at all, feel free to ask - I'm still just as excited to see this mod finished, it's been a loooooooong time since we've seen any total-conversion mods
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Bud1980 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:13 pm

same here i will try to help out as much as i can aswell just let me know i have a modders and coders that are very good friends of mine that i know will help out
Bud1980

Postby Neuntoter » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:14 am

Thank you for the support and interest. I feel bad that I put this on hold lol. But like I said. As soon as Tik Tok Tank is released (hopefully around Jan 1st) I will put a lot of time into this. I loved the base game and I love DooM and could see a possible fusion of these two working in a very funky way.As far as help I will be keeping with my own game studio but I may end up asking for some newer examples of items from scratch just to see what is what since I am sure tons of things have changed since last summer.(as in when it hit steam)

Total conversion it may not be since some assets may work in fine from base game. But DooM it will be.

Once again thanks for the support and enthusiasm.
http://www.moddb.com/company/enguised-studios

Currently working on the "DooM Towns" mod
&
Tik Tok Tank - an Enguised Studio original game
Neuntoter

Postby Neuntoter » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:07 am

So if I have been reading the forums correctly, Towns will no longer be updated since the team building it just fell apart. This is sad since this game had so much potential. I, however still find the game to have alot of usable mechanics for great mods. So this will not stop the DooM mod but actually encourage it since I now know that I will be working with an engine hat will not have any major changes that will break or change what I have created. As much as I would wish to have source code to turn this into a more combat oriented mod, I will work with what I have. I will be looking forward to seeing how much of Towns community actually stays around to play this and other future mods.

Remember, Towns will only die if the community lets it. Keep it alive by creating good, fun content for others to play with.

::Update::

I do have various human zombie type enemies working based around pistols, shotguns, and chainguns. Most weapon types will be ranged. I also have 5 different gun weapons made and working. I am in the process of re creating the raise from the dead mechanic that I had working last year. Depending on my schedule I may have a video to post in the upcoming weeks.

&
Neuntoter

Postby Inquisitor80 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:42 pm

Check out this thread, sounds like Towns is being resuscitated

Towns forums • View topic - Hi, I'm the new guy!
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11405
Inquisitor80

Postby miljan02 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:02 pm

I am looking forward to this mod, but man, put some pics and or something (even if its not implemented yet in the game), because there is nothing at the moment, and it sounds promising
miljan02

Postby YetiChow » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:29 am

Out of curiosity, would you mind PM-ing me some info about how you handle gun-type weapons? I had a crack at it a long time ago, but never got them working smoothly or in any real "polished" way... I'd be interested to see how you got them to a stage you're happy with.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Neuntoter » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:54 pm

In all honesty, I pretty much used them like a bow and arrow weapon. That is how they are currently working at least until I get more of the goods in place and can go through and fine tune. I created a projectile sprite that resembles a bullet and made gun sprites. I messed with the bow code to get the damage were I wanted it. now with the shot gun it only fires one sprite but I did a 4D6 (for example representing four projectiles being shot) while with single shot weapons I used 1D6 as example. I will also be using this same technique for the imps, cacodemons and all other projectile enemies that I create.

As far as pictures go. They will be coming. I will most likely make a little page for the mod so I can freely post videos and pics. This will be a huge mod that I will not be using the in game mod tool for. I will actually just be modding the files straight since this will pretty much be a total conversion. The great thing about this is that Towns can have multiple folders that it is housed in with different names and all fire up using either steam (if that is how you got it) or just on its own. so in the end you will have a separate shortcut to launch DooM Towns as I have been calling it.

This weekend I will be hammering out some XML for this and making a few more things happen. screens shots will be taken and posted of my progress as of sunday night.

&
Neuntoter

Postby ragnar » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:57 pm

Great that you will be working on this mod. Cant wait for some screenshots
ragnar

Postby Neuntoter » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:35 am

No screenshots yet but I did start rewriting all my old xml in the updated way. Getting all the basic stuff implemented so I can give you all something. I am currently using the original sprites from DooM and DooM II along with some customs. Not so sure if I will later update all of these so everything has a matching visual theme but at least for now it will work. I already have my sprite sheets made now I have to update the file that tells where everything is located. More will come very soon.... Have a great start of the week :)

&
Neuntoter

PreviousNext

Return to Modding