DooM (Mod)

Post your mods and custom content here

DooM (Mod)

Postby Neuntoter » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:06 pm

How many DooM fans do we have that play Towns? OK, I see some hands raised, now the fun part. I am currently working on a mod that will bring some of DooMs magic to Towns. I will be pretty much reskinning the entire game to give it that gritty DooM feel we have all grown to love along with doing a fair amount of custom DooM style enemies. This mod will not be just a re skin of Towns but a somewhat new experience as far as the changeable mechanics go.

Crafting will be based off of UAC experiments and future technology. Some of the basics from Towns will be kept in tac but new ones that fit the DooM universe. Primary defense weapons will consist of firearms and other such weapons found through out the DooM franchise. Enemies will have variant forms depending on strength and abilities. I will also be adding my own style of sieges. Hell Gates will randomly open spawning demons on the surface for your Research Labs to fight off. Sentry bots will be craft-able along with stationary turrets.

Story :

UAC Labs picked up a strong abnormal signal from a near by moon and sent out a science team (your civilians) to set up a post for the marines (your heroes) to be stationed in so they can investigate the strange signal.

Of course I am unable to discuss all the features that will be added due to the fact I have not fully thought how i can make them all work as of yet but as I get them in place i will fill in the gaps.

Current working features :

Cemetery - A surface terrain type that has it's own set of trees and decal type filler along with graves that spawn zombies to keep surface life lively.

Marines and Scientists will spawn a zombie version of themselves after dying if not buried.

Enemies will drop (randomly of course) either the weapon they are holding or a part of them that is magical such as an imps arm (how they shoot their fireballs) upon being killed. These will then be used as research to make new weapons for the marines.

Each dungeon level will feature a mini boss style character that will drop 100% a special item to assist in the battle.

Please leave comments on what you think and also if you have any other ideas that may fit in with the theme.

Thank you

-Neuntoter-

Update - 12/2/2012 -

All enemies now have custom death animations, zombies rising from the grave have custom animations, more weapons have been added along with new crafting zones that fit with DooM more than the stock zones. I have the stats of the lower level enemies, heroes and scientists balanced. I will have a video posted showing off some of the features in motion. This mod still has a way to go but is moving along very well.
Last edited by Neuntoter on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.moddb.com/company/enguised-studios

Currently working on the "DooM Towns" mod
&
Tik Tok Tank - an Enguised Studio original game
Neuntoter

Re: DooM (Mod)

Postby Atoning Unifex » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Heh! I like the idea! There should be liberal splashings of Lava i think. Somewhere on here there's a thread that shows how to create a lava filled volcano....
Atoning Unifex

Postby Neuntoter » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:29 pm

The lava sounds like a sweet idea, not so sure about the volcano part but having lava throughout the dungeons themselves as you get deeper would fit the theme extremely well. I will look into that and thanks for the idea. I am thinking (if I can do different themes for different dungeon levels) that the scientists will find an abandoned base for the first few levels and dig deeper to find caves and hell themed caves. just some more ideas I had for the progression.

&
Neuntoter

Postby Atoning Unifex » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:19 pm

Neuntoter wrote:The lava sounds like a sweet idea, not so sure about the volcano part but having lava throughout the dungeons themselves as you get deeper would fit the theme extremely well. I will look into that and thanks for the idea. I am thinking (if I can do different themes for different dungeon levels) that the scientists will find an abandoned base for the first few levels and dig deeper to find caves and hell themed caves. just some more ideas I had for the progression.

The <mainTerrains> tag could help with this. Each entry in the comma separated list refers to a level of the terrain - the first item being ground level, the next being -1 etc. The last one in the list is applied to all layer below it. In theory you could list a different terrain type for all 19 underground levels, watch out for the fact that some terrains you can't dig ladders into though.
Atoning Unifex

Postby Neuntoter » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:41 pm

much appreciated info.... I will mess around with this new knowledge while I flesh out some more of the characters, GFX replacements and weapons. Hopefully I will have something within a week or 2 as far as a playable concept.

&
Neuntoter

Postby Neuntoter » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:35 am

To give a light update on how this mod is turning about. I was meaning to go a little more on the action side but it kinda seems to be flowing towards the survival type. So far it is still missing some major items, such as armor and some other defense type of traps so this may teeter it a little more to action again but the feeling you get when things seem to be going wrong, then your town and heroes pull through, it is working out even better than I was hoping. Anyways, video to be posted soon....

&
Neuntoter

Postby Kuro » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:18 am

Looking forward to seeing what you've got so far. Overhauling the skin is a lot of work...!
Alchemy Mod in progress.
Blood Knight hero available.

caprontos wrote:It's not a bug it is just a missing ... feature.
Kuro

Postby Inquisitor80 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:44 pm

i love doom

and so far i really like your plans/ideas

making the game half survival half action underground is good, i like it
and having the siege mechanism for demon attacks, very nice

how are you handling the basics of wood, and food? if you are on a moon you cannot exactly grow crops normal like nor grow trees....

i will be very interested in this being a MM mod

also please make sure you modify the layers so it goes nice and deep, nobody wants to be really get into it then hit bottom level and blech it is done....
Inquisitor80

Postby Neuntoter » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:43 pm

I actually did not think about the no vegetation thing and came up with all new sprites for the trees, maybe it will be on Earth but on an unknown Island or something, cause I did want to change alot about the game but did not want to remake a whole new one..... Unless of course maybe someone has a creative idea that can help solve that.

As for the deepness, did not think about modifying that either. Very good call and it will be done so we can have a nice long journey to hell whu ha ha ... lol,

Thanks for the ideas so far, and I hope when the first playable part comes out that it does not disappoint....

Neuntoter

&
Neuntoter

Postby YetiChow » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:22 am

Neuntoter wrote:I actually did not think about the no vegetation thing and came up with all new sprites for the trees, maybe it will be on Earth but on an unknown Island or something, cause I did want to change alot about the game but did not want to remake a whole new one..... Unless of course maybe someone has a creative idea that can help solve that.

As for the deepness, did not think about modifying that either. Very good call and it will be done so we can have a nice long journey to hell whu ha ha ... lol,

Thanks for the ideas so far, and I hope when the first playable part comes out that it does not disappoint....

Neuntoter

You could just replace the tootip and graphics of wood etc. to be things like metals, which are found in surface deposits (e.g. replace the tree graphic with a lump of rock with metal ore or crystals sticking out), as for food you could have alien fungi/lifeforms, hydroponic bio-domes (a mini greenhouse with a single crop groing inside), supply crates left behind by allies, canned food in ruins... just be creative. You don't need to replace the functional code, just the display stuff ;)
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Next

Return to Modding