How to paint with gimp?

Post your mods and custom content here

How to paint with gimp?

Postby Colombo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:57 pm

I am trying to toy with gimp.

Lets say, I wanna change color of those greyish stairs into that ancient wall/ancient ladder etc. (that one with mayan symbols on it).

Btw. BurningPet, those other Mayan walls are great, why they aren't in game?
Colombo

Re: How to paint with gimp?

Postby YetiChow » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:04 am

From my very limited experience, you select an area which you want to change the colour of, and then use a recolour tool; the "paintbrush" tool seems to work very differently to other programs' paintbrushes.

One other habit you'll want to get into is using layers - GiMP is pretty good in that regard, adding layers was about all I really had the hang of before I gave up and went back to my old program (paint.net)... :lol: But, no matter what program you use, if you want to make edits to existing images then it's a good idea to create a new layer on top of the current background, and "paint over" the picture rather than editing it directly. That way, any mistakes are easy to fix or revert back to the original. You can also copy images into the new layer to toy around with, and if you like the result you can simply compress that layer down to overwrite the old image underneath.

To go back to your example: what (kind of) worked for me was to use a selection box to select the image, then mess around with the colour values from a menu (e.g. the hue/saturation) rather than trying to manually paint over it with the recolouring brush. Of course, that's not much help if you want to add new images that aren't just recolours...

There are, apparently, lots of tutorials floating around for GiMP, hopefully another modder can help as well. Good luck, hopefully you can get the hang of it soon :)
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby LittleMikey » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:43 am

http://www.wikihow.com/Recolor-Anything-on-Gimp

This is the method I use 90% of the time to create new armour sets or walls etc. Although sometimes you can get better results using "Hue" instead of "Overlay". But just experiment and see what looks best!
LittleMikey

Postby Colombo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:39 pm

Yeah, I tried to manipulate with hue and colorise etc., but couldn't get the right color. Is there any math behind it I can use to compute right color? I don't really wanna guess color just by the eye...
Colombo

Postby BlueSteelAUS » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:13 pm

there is a dropper that you can use to set the brush to the selected colour
BlueSteelAUS

Postby Colombo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:23 pm

Sure, but that doesn't really work with Colorise and Hue.
Colombo

Postby Colombo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:42 pm

I see that exactly the same problem is with overlay. So, Ill give an example:

I got color:
(H S V R G B)
190 5 44 106 111 112
I add color:
0 0 100 255 255 255 (yeah, white)
and I got:
189 4 69 168 174 175

Whats the pattern? What is the solution of one color + second color = ? color? The mean doesn't really work, but in this case, it seems close enough (for RGB).

For black (0 0 0 0 0 0), it is even more off:
192 10 19 44 48 49

So, whats the pattern?
Colombo

Postby YetiChow » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:09 am

Colombo wrote:I see that exactly the same problem is with overlay. So, Ill give an example:

I got color:
(H S V R G B)
190 5 44 106 111 112
I add color:
0 0 100 255 255 255 (yeah, white)
and I got:
189 4 69 168 174 175

Whats the pattern? What is the solution of one color + second color = ? color? The mean doesn't really work, but in this case, it seems close enough (for RGB).

For black (0 0 0 0 0 0), it is even more off:
192 10 19 44 48 49

So, whats the pattern?

That looks like some kind of masking - don't ask me what kind; I just remember having problems with "masking" which I figured out to be blending of some kind...

there are different ways to blend colours; commonly it's "additive" (add the new value to the old one) or "multiplicative" (multiply the two values and average the result, if I understand it right). GiMP does fancy things though to add realism/depth/warmth/whatever to the colours; when you know how they work it makes a lot of sense... unfortunately, figuring that out isn't straightforward :lol:

Sometimes, it is nice to be able to just paint over with solid colours... :lol:
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Colombo » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:06 am

I asked on Gimp IRC and it is the method of blending two layers. There are the additive, multiplicative, difference etc. mods. With equations for all of them, it was much easier then to reach specific color by doing some simple math.
Colombo

Postby burningpet » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:02 pm

Colombo wrote:I am trying to toy with gimp.

Lets say, I wanna change color of those greyish stairs into that ancient wall/ancient ladder etc. (that one with mayan symbols on it).

Btw. BurningPet, those other Mayan walls are great, why they aren't in game?

Thanks. they were supposed to be alternate graphics for the mayan block, so that each time you built one (Or found one in the dungeon rooms) its graphic would be randomly chosen between the various options.

Can't help you with gimp since i don't have much experience with it.

Btw, this just reminded me of something: the gel engraved walls decoration is actually a mayan sign called "Ben" :D
http://www.maya-portal.net/marketplace/ ... aj-daysign
burningpet

Next

Return to Modding