[v14c] Bees mod vSomething

Post your mods and custom content here

[v14c] Bees mod vSomething

Postby caprontos » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:49 pm

I started this a long time ago.. but then never got to finishing it because of issues that came up during the time I was doing it..

At any rate this is the start of my bee mod.. All you need to do to see it working is plant a yellow flowers, then build a bee box with in 5 spaces of it.. and the box will send out bees to the flowers, and eventually produce honey.

This is my first attampt at having living-item interaction that looks nice.. even if it isn't actually necessary.

Picture:

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/apu80 ... rontos.zip

Also Yeti-chow made me the sprites that are currently being used - so credits to him for those.

Things I planned to try to do:
Code: Select all
beeboxaddons..

Must be next to working bee box/full bee box.

Blue flower bees - blue honey - breed with bluebox add on
Red flower bees - red honey - breed with redbox add on

Fruit tree bees - stores fruits - breed with fruitbox add on + fruit tree type (apple pear banana).

Fighter bees - attack enemies around hive - breed with gaurdbox add on + blue yellow and red bee boxs.

Ore bees - Gathers ore.. - breed with ore bee add on + ore + ore bee box..
------------

Yellow flower bees upgrade to banana bees (a base bee on normal, mixed, and mountain maps)
 - Produces Yellow honey at main beebox
 - Produces banana honey in a compartment
 - Makes banana trees more productive
 - Additonal compartments
    - Red bee breeder
    - Yellow guardbee compartment to spawn bees to protect the area around the hive
    - Snow bee breeder
    - Wheat bee breeder

Red flower bees upgrade to apple bees
 - Produces red honey at main beebox
 - Produces apple honey in a compartment
 - Makes apple trees more productive
 - Additonal compartments
    - Blue bee breeder
    - Red guardbee compartment to spawn bees to protect the area around the hive
    - Desert bee breeder
    - Wheat bee breeder

Blue flower bees upgrade to pear bees
 - Produces blue honey at main beebox
 - Produces pear honey in a compartment
 - Makes pear trees more productive
 - Additonal compartments
    - Guard bee breeder
    - Blue guardbee compartment to spawn bees to protect the area around the hive
    - Jungle bee breeder
    - Wheat bee breeder

Guard bee box functions as a trap and can be upgraded with strong bees or poison bees..
 - Spawns bee swarms that fly around the hive protecting the area.
 - Upgraded spawns stronger bee swarms that fly around the hive protecting the area.
 - Upgraded spawns posion bee swarms that fly around the hive protecting the area.
 - Additonal compartments
    - Barrack compartments to spawn more bees (must be upgraded seprately).

Jungle bees upgrades to Strong bees (a base bee on jungle maps)
 - Produces radish honey at main beebox
 - Produces jungle honey in a compartment
 - Makes blue radishes more productive
 - Additonal compartments
    - Strong guard bee breeder
    - Jungle guard bee compartment to spawn strong bees to protect the area around the hive
    - Yellow bee breeder

Desert bees upgrades to Strong bees (a base bee on desert maps)
 - Produces cactus honey at main beebox
 - Produces desert poison in a compartment
 - Makes cactus more productive
 - Additonal compartments
    - Posion bee breeder
    - Yellow bee breeder
    - Desert guard bee compartment to spawn posion bees to protect the area around the hive

Compartment info

-Compartments are only used when bees fill there bee box..
-Honey is used up as bees preform compartment"tasks"...
-Bees can preform mulitple compartment tasks at the same time but may fail to..
-Removing compartments once they are not needed will make room for more productive compartments..
-Some compartments will only maxage if the right conditions are around..

Breeder compartments:
Breeder compartments will maxage as long as it has a full bee box and nearby plant it is to work with (ie red flower bees need a full yellow beebox + red flowers to happen).

Guard bee compartments:
Guard bee compartments can be upgraded to strong or poison bees.. to make them better at defending. Compartments will only send out a single swarm who will only fly around near the box

Produce compartments:
Produce compartments will fill up after bees finish filling the bee box..

Concept flaws..
Guard bees may fly far away to other bee box compartments of the same type..
Flower searching bees likewise may fly further away..

Maxage limitations will heavily cause conflicts bettween compartment and beebox.. unless maxageneeditemANY happens..
APS complexity due alterations to plants and types of honey..

----
Plants that can only maxage if they have bees... like nut trees.

This mod is more a cosmetic thing, as it I think works better if you don't try to design it for mass production/sweetshop layout.. but I haven't really tested it.

I am not really releasing it as a full mod though atm just a demo? I guess.. I might continue it.
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Re: [v14c] Bees mod vSomething

Postby LittleMikey » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:49 am

Looks cool! Doesn't work with Towns++ so I can't test it out, but I noticed the comments in your graphics.ini are wrong. They should be "#" Not "<!-- -->"
LittleMikey

Postby Badger » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:31 pm

Badger

Postby caprontos » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:14 pm

LittleMikey wrote:Looks cool! Doesn't work with Towns++ so I can't test it out, but I noticed the comments in your graphics.ini are wrong. They should be "#" Not "<!-- -->"

I use <!-- -->, cause that is what the devs always use to tag something out in the xml's.. same with the bee requirement in the actions.xml on the beebox. - I have always used it for all comments in mods - it doesn't mess anything up so it still works fine in the graphics.ini.

and yeah any mod that changes how yellow flowers work would make this not work.. but if yellow flowers are not changed, I don't see why it wouldn't work... I have never used Towns++ though so I don't really know what it does.
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby LittleMikey » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:36 pm

caprontos wrote:
LittleMikey wrote:Looks cool! Doesn't work with Towns++ so I can't test it out, but I noticed the comments in your graphics.ini are wrong. They should be "#" Not "<!-- -->"

I use <!-- -->, cause that is what the devs always use to tag something out in the xml's.. same with the bee requirement in the actions.xml on the beebox. - I have always used it for all comments in mods - it doesn't mess anything up so it still works fine in the graphics.ini.

and yeah any mod that changes how yellow flowers work would make this not work.. but if yellow flowers are not changed, I don't see why it wouldn't work... I have never used Towns++ though so I don't really know what it does.

Yeah the XML comment tags are different, I guess that if it was a problem then you'd know already.

From memory we haven't edited Yellow Flowers, but I've been working on Towns++ for so long I can hardly remember what vanilla towns files look like xD
LittleMikey

Postby caprontos » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:16 pm

LittleMikey wrote:Yeah the XML comment tags are different, I guess that if it was a problem then you'd know already.

From memory we haven't edited Yellow Flowers, but I've been working on Towns++ for so long I can hardly remember what vanilla towns files look like xD

I checked back to .42v of towns, and the tag was a ; back then.. don't know when it was changed to # though.. I thought maybe they were using <!-- --> at some point but maybe not... but all my mods always used it so its always worked..

Also I think all you need is an item called "<plantedyellowflower>" for it to work... because the mod adds a maxage to these, that triggers the whole beebox cycle..

What I'd like to be able to do is actually have the bees be functional.. The issue is there isn't enough living-item interaction possible.. Right now I just use spawn to spawn baits, that the bees follow.. and this lets them fly to flowers, and then back to the box.. but it has no practical value, its just an aesthetic.. Only the beebox and the flowers are actually interacting..

If you could make the flowers actual change by the bees touching them, then touching the box to fill it - that would be pretty neat.. Something like... Bees collect pollen which they drop off in the box, slowly filling it to max which then produces the honey.. This would be possible with some.. living tags to maxageneeditem and item tags that maxeageneedliving.. - I think it could be possible..

I am not sure though how many things you can apply that stuff to that would be practical/interesting beyond just... being neat..
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby YetiChow » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:19 am

caprontos wrote:
LittleMikey wrote:Yeah the XML comment tags are different, I guess that if it was a problem then you'd know already.

I checked back to .42v of towns, and the tag was a ; back then.. don't know when it was changed to # though.. I thought maybe they were using <!-- --> at some point but maybe not... but all my mods always used it so its always worked..

Also I think all you need is an item called "<plantedyellowflower>" for it to work... because the mod adds a maxage to these, that triggers the whole beebox cycle..

What I'd like to be able to do is actually have the bees be functional.. The issue is there isn't enough living-item interaction possible.. Right now I just use spawn to spawn baits, that the bees follow.. and this lets them fly to flowers, and then back to the box.. but it has no practical value, its just an aesthetic.. Only the beebox and the flowers are actually interacting..

If you could make the flowers actual change by the bees touching them, then touching the box to fill it - that would be pretty neat.. Something like... Bees collect pollen which they drop off in the box, slowly filling it to max which then produces the honey.. This would be possible with some.. living tags to maxageneeditem and item tags that maxeageneedliving.. - I think it could be possible..

I am not sure though how many things you can apply that stuff to that would be practical/interesting beyond just... being neat..

A very very crude way to do it would be using traps... make the bees their own type of living and have the flowers be made into traps (maxAgeNear on bee boxes?), the bees trigger the traps, killing the bees, the dropped item triggers another <maxAgeNear>, and then "return" bees are spawned (from either the flower or the bee drops) to go back to the bee box... then those bees can die and drop honey/honeycomb, or could trigger yet another <maxAgeNear> to turn the bee box into the harvestable version...

Of course it's pointlessly complicated, it's just realy fun to come up with the voodoo theory for how to do it :lol: But as you say, it would be awesome if livings could interact with objects.... badgers stealing berries, more interesting door interactions, and even the fire idea would be better (instead of a fire item, there could be a fire living that destroys wooden blocks... and then townies can fight the fire...) if livings could be used.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby LittleMikey » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:24 am

YetiChow wrote:
caprontos wrote:

A very very crude way to do it would be using traps... make the bees their own type of living and have the flowers be made into traps (maxAgeNear on bee boxes?), the bees trigger the traps, killing the bees, the dropped item triggers another <maxAgeNear>, and then "return" bees are spawned (from either the flower or the bee drops) to go back to the bee box... then those bees can die and drop honey/honeycomb, or could trigger yet another <maxAgeNear> to turn the bee box into the harvestable version...

Of course it's pointlessly complicated, it's just realy fun to come up with the voodoo theory for how to do it :lol: But as you say, it would be awesome if livings could interact with objects.... badgers stealing berries, more interesting door interactions, and even the fire idea would be better (instead of a fire item, there could be a fire living that destroys wooden blocks... and then townies can fight the fire...) if livings could be used.

Voodoo scripting is 90% of the fun of Towns modding. If they made it easier to do things how would we get our kicks? XD
LittleMikey

Return to Modding