[Tutorial] Custom map creation: From start to finish

Post your mods and custom content here

[Tutorial] Custom map creation: From start to finish

Postby Varsh » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:20 am

If there was one thing that I have never found anywhere was that there were no map tutorials or none that could explain anything. So for a couple of weeks I had been dissecting the entire gen_map.xml file and trying out a lot of random things to see what I can and can't do. With so much testing I felt that I owed it to Modders that they should be able to create maps themselves and have a resource to look at in case they get stuck or forget how things are done. I will in time take out all the text and just have all of the tags and give a brief outline of what they do for a quick reference too.

For these map tutorials I will be using only the original game content so that it doesn't conflict with any of my mods. From tutorial to tutorial the base tutorial map will be carried over which means that there will be no differences when moving to the next tutorial, that's one thing I hate about a lot of tutorials I come across, they seem to have this invisible "here's what I add later after the previous tutorial", quite annoying!

Steam guides:
Part 1: Creating a new map
Part 2: Water: Adding lakes
Part 3: Water: Adding rivers
Part 4: Terrain: Hills and mountains
Part 5: Terrain: Giving a variation to the terrain
Part 6: Materials: Adding raw materials to the surface
Part 7: Foliage: The smell of fresh air
Part 8: Creatures: Breathing life to the surface
Part 9: Dungeons: Into the depths
Part 10: Materials: Adding raw materials in dungeons
Part 11: Monsters: Adding the pests to the dungeon
Part 12: Lava: It's getting rather hot down below
Part 13: Lava: This mountain's on fire!
Last edited by Varsh on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Mods - Realism Mod (will be added soon)
Tutorials - Creating maps
Varsh

Re: [Tutorial] Map Creation: Part 1: Creating a New Map

Postby Varsh » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:20 am

Part 2 and 3 is now added to the series, I'm going to try and get part 4 out today or tomorrow.

Edit: Part 4 was a lot shorter than I had imagined and is now added. :)
Varsh

Re: [Tutorial] Custom map creation: From start to finish

Postby Varsh » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Part 5 is now added. Going to have a go at adding materials to the surface now, probably the odd iron, coal and a few stone seeds.

Edit: Part 6 is now added. Think I'll take a break for today and start on more tomorrow.
Varsh

Postby LittleMikey » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:41 pm

Really liking these! You've done a great job, this will solve a lot of new modders' questions!

Feel free to open up any of the maps I've created and scan the code for ideas. For example, in my Oasis map most sand near water is turned to grass, and then that grass can generate trees and flowers. I think about 10% stays as sand on the outer two or so blocks, so it looks much more natural. The same technique can be used to create much more advanced features, like erosion along riverbanks.
LittleMikey

Postby Varsh » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:33 pm

Thanks, if you see any mistakes or problems then please tell me. I did spot a mistake already though, I put "0-200" on the co-ordinates when it should be "0-199" so I'll have to change that at some point.

After I've finished with this tutorial series I'll definitely take a peek at your maps to see how you've done them, always good to get some more ideas. :D
Varsh

Postby wesnjean » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:10 pm

Indeed, thanks! I've been plaing with the values in the maps, too, and just been fumbling along. It will be nice to have some concrete rules and ideas to follow. Keep up the excellent work!
wesnjean

Postby wesnjean » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:12 pm

LittleMikey wrote:Really liking these! You've done a great job, this will solve a lot of new modders' questions!

Feel free to open up any of the maps I've created and scan the code for ideas. For example, in my Oasis map most sand near water is turned to grass, and then that grass can generate trees and flowers. I think about 10% stays as sand on the outer two or so blocks, so it looks much more natural. The same technique can be used to create much more advanced features, like erosion along riverbanks.

Being new to Towns forums, I haven't figured out how to find things yet. But once I do, I'll be checking out your maps, too. I like the idea of erosion. That's a cool idea.
Thanks!
wesnjean

Postby JackPS9 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:01 pm

http://towns.gamepedia.com/Modding_Tutorials#
All 6 parts have been added to the modding tutorial section of the wiki :D
JackPS9

Postby Varsh » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:10 pm

Thanks Jack. :D

I'll get back onto the next part of the tutorial over the weekend, been a busy week at work and all I want to do is nap when I get home. :lol:
Varsh

Return to Modding