opinions needed on this type of modding

Post your mods and custom content here

opinions needed on this type of modding

Postby JackPS9 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:04 pm

So guys, for those of you that have tried my mod Towns Overhauled (TO)
I will be doing this for TO, and just looking to see what people personaly think about the idea.

The main thing behind the mod is set tiers that take longer to get through, but at the same time as you progress the actions of your citizens will become quicker as you get further into it.

For TO personaly.
So what type of modding I'm thinking and going to be doing is splitting it into parts, one for each tier as well as one for the heroes and one for the terrain changes (terrain due to the amount of actions will be changed from this)

I cant see too many people really using modular modding for towns, but tossing it out there. Seeing how if your going to be adding a ton of stuff it does tend to keep everything cleaner.
I can go more in depth if people really need to me of course.
JackPS9

Re: opinions needed on this type of modding

Postby YetiChow » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:24 am

This is something I've looked at myself, and it does have the potential to be useful. However, you ahve to consider how much 'documentation' each mod will have, and what the mods will do.

If you're going for modular mods then you'll want to have "core" mods which work on their own, "secondary" mods which work off the core mods (for example: core is a new ore and one thing to do with it, secondary is a new weapon using said ore as well as an armour set, decoration, util etc.); and "tie ins" or "crossovers" which take multiple core and secondary mods and make them fit together better (for example: a mod which takes several core mods adding new ores and gear and then combines all of the mod menus into a single menu; and possibly adding new recipes which use resources from a couple of different core mods).

The more complex your tie-ins get, the more documentation you'll need. In practice it can be a lot simpler than it sounds, and it's easier to make a bunch of simple mods than it is to try and get everything working as a single, uber-mod. However, the danger is that all your core mods can look kind of arbitrary and lonely, and not connect to each other - then you start running into issues of "so just how many core mods will need to be used to make this weapon addon work?" and "now, where do I get the halberd from used to make this weapon display? was the original weapon in the More Weapons addon or did it come with the Defender Hero addon?"

The simplest answer I can give is that the system works much better collaboratively - one person makes one mod, another makes an addon for it, another creates a different addon, and then a fourth modder creates a "tie in" which makes both addons work together seamlessly. It's a system which has very obvious benefits if you're working in a complex modding community, but it can take more effort to set up the working system than it saves in the end if only one person is using it.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby JackPS9 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:16 pm

yea, I do agree with the fact that it should be done by more then one person. Cause converting TO into parts is taking a while do to.
Though I can say I have a decent setup going for it right now.
JackPS9

Postby YetiChow » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:44 pm

If you get an effective framework set up, then others will probably jump on board and use it. In fact, I'd probably start making "mini mods" or modules for your system to use, since they'd be a lot easier and less taxing on my lazy-gland :lol:

The main reason to use modules if if you have "questionable", "controversial" or just plain "experimental" content - the first would be things which don't really fit in, or which some people might not want to use based on personal values; the second would be things which don't fit the theme or could cause offence (personal values would be more like gameplay style, I'm talking about things like religious connotations, crude humour etc. as being part of the "controversial" category; as well as things completely outside the current theme of the game which some people might take as being just too different or whacky); and the third category would be potentially buggy/laggy content, stuff which might be unpredictable (e.g. stuff which might not spawn properly or which might somehow not work properly through some quirk of map generation), and just plain unfinished stuff.

Modules which are "questionable" - such as auto-spawning food, or a new animal like a zebra - will generally be used by some people so that in itself can make the system's complexities worthwhile. "Controversial" modules are similar, some people will want to use them and some won't. "Experimental" modules are great for developing mods (e.g. chuck in a half-finished weapons module to test out a feature of another module which it will be compatible with), but won't generally be used unless the mod gets really realy popular. Think of Minecraft mods like Thaumcraft and Mo' Creatures which have literally thousands of users waiting for even the slightest hint of a new update - in those kinds of situations it's usually worth releasing some of the experimental modules. However, at thsi stage I don't see that being a viable or sensible option, it would likely just cause a lot of confusion and extra work.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Return to Modding