I need some advice please: PS3, PS4 or nothing

Anything other than Towns

I need some advice please: PS3, PS4 or nothing

Postby baukienvn » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:05 am

In the past I've owned a Atari 2600 (played a lot), Sega Genesis (played some), XBox (played little), and XBox 360 (played little). PC gaming has always been my main platform starting in about 1985. I used to primarily play strategy games (Civ, Age of Empires, etc), but lately I've had trouble overcoming inertia and starting games of something involving. I still do, but it's not the vast majority like it used to be. I'm playing more games like Dark Souls, Rayman, etc).

The consoles used to be primarily used for driving and sports games. FPS were still played on the PC because I found M+KB control so much easier than a controller. I don't have buddies that I game with, so multiplayer really isn't a concern for me, although I do like leaderboards to compete against with many of you here. I do occasionally play a game (like a LEGO game or Rayman) with my 2nd grade son, but his screen time is limited so it doesn't happen that often.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting a console and since I really want to play The Last of Us it would be a Playstation (and I already have a 360 which I may sell). The main points I can think of, which mainly support just sticking with the PC are:

1- Most games I want probably come out on both the PC and the Playstation, so do I really need a Playstation? That money could just eventually finance a new video card.
2- Now that XBox 360 controller support is common on the PC I can just use them for games on the PC that play better with a controller, including my cheap wireless wheel. Since a big draw for the consoles were driving games that I can now pretty easily play on the PC that makes a console less attractive.
3- I don't mind playing in front of a computer screen, so playing from the couch isn't a huge draw. My wife doesn't really enjoy computer games but I wouldn't mind if I could find a game we could play together. A console would probably make this more likely since it is easier to gather around the TV.
4- Are there a lot of great PS games that aren't available on the PC - like The Last of Us, to make a purchase worthwhile?
5- I've gotten used to PC game sales so console game prices may be hard to swallow.
6- Visuals seem to always be better on a PC as long as you have a decent video card - my current card is a Radeon HD7870.

It looks like I could pick up a used PS3 for $140-$170, a new one for $250-$270. A new PS4 for $399. What would be your recommendation - used PS3, new PS3, new PS4, or nothing? If you recommend a PS3, which model. Are some more reliable than others?

Thanks!
baukienvn

Re: I need some advice please: PS3, PS4 or nothing

Postby QueEsQueso » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:54 pm

Hey, man!

I don't know much about consoles, but I do know that this is the General Discussion section for Towns. You might get more answers if you had placed it in the Off-Topic section.

IMHO, though, I say you stick with your PC. If you're really looking for games to play with your wife, the Wii is the way to go. My girlfriend really dislikes video games, but loves playing the Wii as it doesn't require you to memorize all of the buttons. You just swing your arms around and have fun!
QueEsQueso

Postby GreenZanbato » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:46 pm

Have you considered the other functions a console can provide? I have both and very rarely use my ps3 for gaming. However, it acts as our dvd/blu-ray player and a platform for a lot of tv services like netflix and amazon instant video. Also, people who don't play many video games like your wife and son often prefer consoles over pc. Have you considered the wii-u at all? It does everything I've mentioned and it's more family friendly, plus it has all the nintendo exclusives if you happen to be a fan.
Currently dead, but feel free to look through it! Click the banner to go there!
GreenZanbato

Postby huongxinh12345 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:29 am

Your problem is the lack of financial ? ?
huongxinh12345

Postby Jon_jon13 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:17 pm

In case you didn't notice, this looks totally like a full spam thread. If I'm wrong, I hope OP comes back to tell me off.
This device requires watergineers, m'lord!
Jon_jon13

Postby Badger » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:19 pm

Jon_jon13 wrote:In case you didn't notice, this looks totally like a full spam thread. If I'm wrong, I hope OP comes back to tell me off.

Not much else to do on these forums nowadays other then reply to bots, huehuehue.
Badger

Postby huongxinh12345 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:28 am

If you choose. I'm PS4 is my forum
huongxinh12345

Postby Badger » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:59 pm

I prefer the Wii-U.
Badger

Postby bobbys » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:37 pm

I prefer the hoop and stick.

In all seriousness though I only have an xBox 360 so cannot say anything for PS3 or 4. Just buy what you want and if you don't like it then give it to me. I mean return it for money back. I can do that for you...

But hoop and stick 4lyfe!
bobbys

Location: Somewhere between the Cloudlands of Dreams and Cold Hard Reality. This will hurt.

Postby affu933 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:27 am

Ofcourse ps4 will be best choice as it is the modified model and will play more games, you should try that one... :)
affu933

Return to Off-topic