Text Games

Anything other than Towns

Text Games

Postby Espero » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:02 am

After playing around for a while with games such as Dwarf Fortress and Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any preferred resources for creating a text-based game. Perhaps you have a favorite guide or program that is beginner-friendly?

Also, do you have any text games you would recommend? The deeper the learning curve, the better.
“All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns.” -Bruce Lee
Espero

Re: Text Games

Postby muzzy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:46 pm

Well... ADOM is a roguelike that used to be fun, and the project has recently been resurrected so the development continues. You could try that if you haven't already.
muzzy

Postby YetiChow » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:21 am

Greenlight has some interesting submissions, and you should be able to search by category. I think there's even a program up for vote which is designed for making text-based games.

A neat "semi-text-based" game I've played is "A Dark Room" - it starts off purely text based, but quickly turns into... well, something, but whatever genre it belong in it's interesting :lol: By the end it's a full-blown ASCII dodge-'em-up, but the way that it evolves fits the story perfectly; it's worth a look and it only takes about 30 minutes to complete if you play "seriously".

As for writing your own text-based game, a good place to start before you hit the programming may be old-school pen and paper/BBS style RPGs. There's nothing quite like that live feedback to see how your decisions as GM are being taken by your players, and if you're planning to write a game that GMs itself then it's a good idea to have experience with a good GM's style... there's nothing worse than feeling like a GM/game engine hates you, and a good GM will balance even the most atrocious dice rolls to make sure that the game stays fun (even if the player is doomed to die horribly, they'll at least make sure it's spectacular enough to be worthwhile seeing it out :lol:)
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Espero » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:52 am

YetiChow wrote:As for writing your own text-based game, a good place to start before you hit the programming may be old-school pen and paper/BBS style RPGs. There's nothing quite like that live feedback to see how your decisions as GM are being taken by your players, and if you're planning to write a game that GMs itself then it's a good idea to have experience with a good GM's style... there's nothing worse than feeling like a GM/game engine hates you, and a good GM will balance even the most atrocious dice rolls to make sure that the game stays fun (even if the player is doomed to die horribly, they'll at least make sure it's spectacular enough to be worthwhile seeing it out :lol:)

I'm certainly no stranger to tabletop RPGs. I've been a fan of Shadowrun since I was a child and I have almost every single book of the Old World White Wolf Series' such as Vampire: The Masquerade and Werewolf: The Apocalypse. Just thinking about it has me dying to play a campaign. I'll have to try to find an online group or something.
“All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns.” -Bruce Lee
Espero

Postby JackPS9 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:50 pm

what language you want to try to write this in?
JackPS9

Return to Off-topic