A Terraria role play group, GMed by yours truly

Anything other than Towns

A Terraria role play group, GMed by yours truly

Postby YetiChow » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:30 pm

I had a lot of fun GMing Dungeon Crawler, and playing the other great forum games here. It's whetted my appetite for more.

Unfortunately, I have a serious allergy to work, and committing to writing a few hundred words per player per turn is kind of a hurdle to starting another forum RPG :lol:

Fortunately, I've found a program which will handle all that work for me; a program I'm sure everyone is familiar with: Terraria. I've been playing Terraria with a group of friends for a while, and we've been interested in taking our impromptu role play to some semi-organised level. Things quickly spiralled and a Steam group popped up like an unexpected boss fight.

Our RP system uses character profiles very similar to how Dungeon Crawler worked. The main difference is that virtually all of the gameplay is handled in-game, so there's less work keeping tack of who has what stats and items and so on. Each profile lists the character's vital stats (name, role, play style/fighting style), equipment (both their starting equipment and their ideal equipment to have by the end-game - because of the practicalities of playing Terraria, there are going to be times when we need to be flexible about gear) and backstory.

The gameplay (both for our RPG and Terraria - pretty much the Terraria character is your roleplay avatar and you're in-role whenever you're on the Terraria server) is freeform RP: the character's backstory is set in the profile and a couple of goals a listed (usually a few explicit sub-goals and a general ultimate goal), and the story in between is written through our gameplay.

There may also be some semi-random dice-related shennanigans and surprise events... who are we kidding, this is me we're talking about - of COURSE those things are going to happen :lol:

So, if you're interested, check out our Steam group page: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/themastersofterrariaroleplay/. If, for any reason, Steam won't work as an option for you then feel free to PM me here - we'll work something out so that anyone interested can join in.

The Masters of Terraria Role Play welcome any new adventurers, the more the merrier :)
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Re: A Terraria role play group, GMed by yours truly

Postby GreenZanbato » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:00 pm

YetiChow wrote:GMed by yours truly

I'm joining. :D
Currently dead, but feel free to look through it! Click the banner to go there!
GreenZanbato

Postby Niranufoti » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:20 pm

I didn't do any Terraria role play for some time, but I'm probably too busy to do some...
Busy doing what, you ask? Farming Pumkin Moon and waiting for tAPI to realease, of course.
Niranufoti

Postby YetiChow » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:57 am

Niranufoti wrote:I didn't do any Terraria role play for some time, but I'm probably too busy to do some...
Busy doing what, you ask? Farming Pumkin Moon and waiting for tAPI to realease, of course.

Because of real-life pressures, the RP won't be "hardcore" or life-consuming - we're all just too busy for that.

If you can spare 1-2 hours one night a week, that would be enough time to really sink your teeth into our RP - I'll be running it so that there's a "quick" phase to every session where we try to accomplish something definite (i.e. kill a certain boss for the first time, build X thing, explore X are etc.), which should take between 30-60 mins.

The server will probably be running for around 3 hours each session, both to give players in different timezones a chance to join (even sticking to Australia we have a few to worry about with Daylight Savings active, going further abroad I really don't know yet but we'll find something that works); so there will be a chance to do other things like getting your gear. However, one of the major aims is to eliminate the need to grind - at least for those players who don't enjoy it. Some players will enjoy farming bosses while others will love spelunking and looking for the rare loot, and anything that's just plan tedious (crop farming for potions, money grinder etc.) will be handled with an automated grinder we can all use. In fact, there will be a whole "self supporting" town which can produce anything in the game; part of the RP is helping the town build and upgrade. Really, it's a lot like the heroes in Towns come to think of it... now isn't that a coincidence... :lol:
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Niranufoti » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:04 am

Well then, I guess I'll join. :D

EDIT: The group is join-on-invite :(
Niranufoti

Postby YetiChow » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:47 am

Niranufoti wrote:Well then, I guess I'll join. :D

EDIT: The group is join-on-invite :(

Oh, derp... if you can leave a comment on the page then I'll invite you (somehow...), otherwise feel free to friend me and ask for an invite - I have the same name and avatar on Steam :)

Same goes for anyone else BTW - I'll see if I can do something about the invite-only thing, but for the moment it looks like I'm going to be even more popular :lol:
YetiChow

Postby Jon_jon13 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:08 pm

Hey, this sounds awesome! I've had Terraria for a while, but never managed to play it with friends.

I am jon_mussol on Steam! Can you invite? :D (I'll try to search for you and add you :) )
This device requires watergineers, m'lord!
Jon_jon13

Postby Niranufoti » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Jon_jon13 wrote:Hey, this sounds awesome! I've had Terraria for a while, but never managed to play it with friends.

I am jon_mussol on Steam! Can you invite? :D (I'll try to search for you and add you :) )

You can easily find Yeti if you go to the group's page and click "Members".
Niranufoti

Postby YetiChow » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:38 am

Just to update this topic (it's a bump, but not technically a bump... :lol:), TMoTRP is now expanding into America. Our first step on the global domination plan is complete, and soon we will take over...

[sounds of struggling, something that sounds like "get away from my keyboard you hairy #$%!", a loud blow from a weapon and a slowly fading roar]

Sorry about that folks, big hairy over there gets a bit carried away sometimes... one of the challenges of living in a Yeti's stomach, but at least it's rent-free :lol:

Anyway, yes TMoTRP is going international, we're investigating options for a US server as well as our existing Aussie one. This blows right open the potential for... stuff... and things... we're still investigating at the moment, it's too early to set anything in stone, but we hope to at least have some kind of "clan" rivalry and interaction between servers. Probably something like separate islands with a long-standing feud, but forced to come together in times of crisis to defeat hordes of goblins and the odd mechanical demon... good stuff like that :)

So, anyone else interested please don't hesitate to ask for more info, or an invite to the Steam group.
YetiChow

Return to Off-topic