the Winter of Frostfall (info)

Anything other than Towns

Re: the Winter of Frostfall (info)

Postby Egreham » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:53 am

Niranufoti wrote:Uhhh... you could say that. Doodle god, but with theoretically infinite possibilities.

So what you're saying is that you want to set up a feasible system where you cast spell by brewing up "reasonable combinations" of concepts of these elements (fire,earth,water,air,light,dark).

Okay, so here are some questions I'm having:

1. These seem primarily for effect description. How are you going to translate these pretty conceptual spells to damage/AoE/duration/stuff-relating-to-actual-game-mechanic? Are you going to say "you can do different stuff, but with the same Magic rating you can only do the same damage"?

2. What is the primary attribute that backs up these magical attributes?

3. What are the limitations on this "theoretically infinite possibilities" that will not disrupt the balance with the other classes' bleak lack of such variables?
Apparently, my dragon's dead out of my neglect
Egreham

Postby Niranufoti » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:28 am

Egreham wrote:
Niranufoti wrote:Uhhh... you could say that. Doodle god, but with theoretically infinite possibilities.

So what you're saying is that you want to set up a feasible system where you cast spell by brewing up "reasonable combinations" of concepts of these elements (fire,earth,water,air,light,dark).

1. These seem primarily for effect description. How are you going to translate these pretty conceptual spells to damage/AoE/duration/stuff-relating-to-actual-game-mechanic? Are you going to say "you can do different stuff, but with the same Magic rating you can only do the same damage"?

3. What are the limitations on this "theoretically infinite possibilities" that will not disrupt the balance with the other classes' bleak lack of such variables?

I was thinking about adding an additional trainable skill. Everyone could train it, but mages would have it easier. This skill would limit how much power you could use at once, so a beginner can't cast a spell to destroy the whole world. Well, spells like that would be forbidden anyways. The only other limitation would be your mind. As in, the mind of the real you, the human sitting in front of a PC. Someone who doesn't understand the magic can't really play a mage, or if so, only a sorcerer-style caster(one who uses a few low-level spells, but punches them out quickly).
Also, the aforementioned skill would determine how good you can control magic.
Though, I'm turning into an encyclopedia right now, and nothing is really defined right now, so some of this might change.

(Baskinger, did you go on unscheduled vacation again?)
Niranufoti

Postby YetiChow » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:28 am

Niranufoti wrote:
Egreham wrote:

I was thinking about adding an additional trainable skill. Everyone could train it, but mages would have it easier. This skill would limit how much power you could use at once, so a beginner can't cast a spell to destroy the whole world. Well, spells like that would be forbidden anyways. The only other limitation would be your mind. As in, the mind of the real you, the human sitting in front of a PC. Someone who doesn't understand the magic can't really play a mage, or if so, only a sorcerer-style caster(one who uses a few low-level spells, but punches them out quickly).
Also, the aforementioned skill would determine how good you can control magic.
Though, I'm turning into an encyclopedia right now, and nothing is really defined right now, so some of this might change.

(Baskinger, did you go on unscheduled vacation again?)

That's basically how magic worked in Dungeon Crawler - if you can justify it "logically" (i.e. it makes sense) and "thematically" (i.e. a paladin isn't using necromancy - or if they are, they have a very good reason and suitable penalties) then you can do whatever. It's great for "hardcore" RPG, but that's very tricky to run in a decent sized group. It might be easier if you restirct the magic with an extra layer - "elements" or something like that - so that people need to focus on a single area. The main effect is that people aren't able to hum and haw over a dozen different overpowered options, and the bonus side-effect is that it makes everyone's magic more thematic :)

Just my experience on this issue - I know you guys will sort out somethign workable :D
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Egreham » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:10 am

meh
Apparently, my dragon's dead out of my neglect
Egreham

Previous

Return to Off-topic