XCOM: Darkest Before Dawn (bobbys campaign)

Anything other than Towns

Now You See Me

Postby Egreham » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:54 am

bobbys wrote:Well I suppose that is all I can hope for. What do you think my next steps should be to confirm how recovered I am? Would you classify me able to attempt contact with small animals or should I wait awhile?

'Well, I suppose that's all I can hope for.'

You set aside a mild sense of disappointment at how far just a decade seems so so far away. That long? It muddles your long-held excitement that one day you might be a superhero just like the ones from comic books you have read, perhaps even better. Batman's ... you haven't really up to par with the martial mastery required. Maybe Elfen Lied cause you're psychic? You cringe a moment at the fresh memories of content that you probably shouldn't have watched at your age. Geez you sure hope you can avoid all the gore. Beyond: Two Souls ... though the possession thing seems relevant the whole ghost-that-you-got-stuck-with is nowhere to be found. What about blood bending? Muscle control check, well except without tai chi.. wait wasn't there a character that could do it psychically? What the name ... you can't remember. Darn it, it was the perfect fit. No matter how hard you try you can't. It could be just you forgot, or possibly caused by mobs of angry messages in a possible future timeline complaining about 'spoilers'. Wait, why would you care about that? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Regardless, subconsciously you are obligated to care about refraining yourself from uttering or thinking anything that would "give away" twists of any kind.

Of course, running through all that thought process had you zone out there. You snap back to reality to see Dr.Vahlen reaching up a hand in front of your face, which she quickly retrieved. You cough a bit in embarrassment and recall that she didn't answer one of the question you had, which for some reason feels very pressing.

'What do you think I should do to see how okay I am? I mean after -you know- clunking your head. Could you be able to see how if I could try with small animals or should I wait awhile?'

Her head tilts a little, perhaps curious at your persistence at the subject.

'I would certainly recommend experimenting with small mammals first. Although there is a rather interesting way ... my, isn't this a strange coincidence."

She smiles and touches the tips of her fingers together with a slight hint of delight.

'Zyrthos, I would like you to meet someone. Her name is ... well since she is going to be your mentor for the foreseeable length of your training I won't take the privilege of introduction. Colonel? If you may.'

You raise your head to follow her change of line of sight, and happen to see an imposing figure standing behind the armrest which your head is resting upon staring down in cold, nigh-unreadable intensity. Your realization that you never noticed a glimpse of her when you entered and thought you felt another presence unfolds dread.

It's seriously freaky. While you scramble up at the development Dr. Vahlen appears to be rather happy with the circumstances of your meeting.

'She is a veteran from the most recent alien invasion, and one of the few .. well successfully developed psionics. Also, she developed an original way to independently train, and repair as you wanted to know, one's psychic ability. It's fascinating really, refrained practice upon your own body! Of course, avoiding recursion and maintaining control takes training and instruction, but the subconscious familiarity synchronize well once the subject is able to command specific facets of their body. The progress and the result-'

'You're losing grip of yourself again Doctor.'

Dr.Vahlen chuckles nervously as she stopped herself. The "Colonel" gives worn sigh -and slightly tilting the edges of her lip- at this, and turns to you. You stare at each other for a short time.

'You got something to say?'

Development Note:
Fear the spoiler anger! Its power transcends time and smashes in the fourth wall!

now commence the conversing
Apparently, my dragon's dead out of my neglect
Egreham

Re: XCOM: Darkest Before Dawn (bobbys campaign)

Postby bobbys » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:57 am

Yeah, how long have you been there? I did not notice you when I walked in so either you entered later or I am not observant at all.
bobbys

Location: Somewhere between the Cloudlands of Dreams and Cold Hard Reality. This will hurt.

Now You WON'T

Postby Egreham » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:58 am

bobbys wrote:Yeah, how long have you been there? I did not notice you when I walked in so either you entered later or I am not observant at all.

You try to "calmly" ask while revealing a "composed" analysis in a "collected" manner. Of course, being under pressure of a recent heart attack this person gave by coming out of nowhere and the fact that the way she's still looking at you greatly unsettles you doesn't help jack. Instead, you sputter unintelligible garbles as your immediate response, but thank god you quickly cover for that by somewhat "calmly" asking while revealing a "composed" analysis in a "collected" manner.

'URGLUB BUH which I mean YES! (nice catch) how long have you been there? I never saw you when I walked in so either you entered later or I am not observant at all.'

Dr.Vahlen quickly opens her mouth as if to answer, but gets cut short by "Colonel"s eye contact.

'I think I'll be handling this, Moira, thank you very much'

Dr.Vahlen sheepishly retreats back in her seat, muttering complaints (take a wild guess). In all this, you find this interaction rather odd considering they're both women seemingly around their 40's. You guess it's normal? Of course, you don't exactly trust yourself a judge of what's a "socially normal relationship". "Colonel", however, kneels down to your eye level and faces you.

'It wasn't that you were unobservant. I specialize in cloaking. It means I can make you think you don't see, hear, or even smell me. Of course, I can't do it in front of your face like this, but in the dark? I can disappear as you soon as you look away.'

Development Note:
I was searching up Dr.Vahlen's first name in the game, but of course it's not there, so I just ripped off and patched the voice actor's, Moira Quirk.
Egreham

Postby bobbys » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:26 am

How is it that you "specialize" in cloaking? I know my ability is one that I have taught myself but were you trained in it or is it just something you are good at?
bobbys

Location: Somewhere between the Cloudlands of Dreams and Cold Hard Reality. This will hurt.

I See You Too

Postby Egreham » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:20 am

bobbys wrote:How is it that you "specialize" in cloaking? I know my ability is one that I have taught myself but were you trained in it or is it just something you are good at?

You sit up straight to look at her. Her face have wrinkled from obvious old age, the brown skin creases running down her cheek to the sides of her mouth while lines drew the forehead. But you stare closer and see that some of them are scars, slightly paler cuts and blotches streaking against and folded by the contours of her wrinkles. Did the scars follow the wrinkles, or is it the other way around?

There were discolored bubbles, like a pattern donned by a shower curtain, on the left upper side of her face. In its domain, little evidences of an eyebrow remain. Her hair pulled back behind that cap hat she wore, showing a grayscale spectrum. The few strands was brushed side ways, some even resting upon the trenches of her forehead. The blue eyes stared unblinking, the skin around decorated with weariness, but her eyes itself told otherwise.

Despite the elderly outlook, she imposed overwhelming power. Despite the disconcerting scars, she did not emanate threat. Despite the cold look, there were gentle echoes. Harsh. She was scary as hell. Proud. Goddamn vicious. Would surprise you with a grin. With words. That most-of-the-time cryptic face.

It's her face.

What the hell is it doing here.

This was supposed be just another intel mission. Fly in Hong Kong, track this guy, and just snoop on him. Fly out as soon as you plant the bug in his suitcase so that somebody else could crack on the client, simple as that. You tracked him down to the ragtag part of the city and waited after he left it on a bench and went away. Of course, you would have waited and watched for days if needed be, even if that would be a piss off. It was because some anonymous note pinged on your phone, just 2 minutes after he left, saying:

Do you know Pandora said to open her box? "ICU2"

It's a trap, screamed your inner Akbar. Your immediate thought was a bomb. But why the hell would he put it in the middle of a slum town? Super virus? No. There was no way he couldn't have done it himself in a more populous area. A double bug trick? He could have easily tracked you anyways if he managed to get the number of your private mission-only "untraceable" phone while staying anonymous. You had to act quick though. There was no telling when someone around would pick up that expensive looking case and try to sell it somewhere. You made a hasty decision.

You made it back to your reserved room, holding it while breathing really nervously. You plugged in the 4-letter password, and clicked it open with a sweaty hand. It didn't explode in your face. It didn't exhume any gas that seemed suspicious. It didn't even burn up to prank you up real good. In fact, it's just a pile of investigative clip-on papers. There's a picture that catches your eye.

It's her face

What the hell is it doing here.

And most of all, what's your next move.

Developer's Note:

Sorry that this was 2 weeks late. I had some funky busy schedule. I promise I'll update EVERY WEEKEND. You'll have to make the same commitment though.
Egreham

Postby bobbys » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:41 pm

OOC: Was that a flash back of some kind? That's what it seemed like but I would like to be certain before continuing.
bobbys

Postby Egreham » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:00 am

Hey bobbys! I'm finally back and ...

Developer's Note:

Sorry that this was 2 weeks late. I had some funky busy schedule. I promise I'll update EVERY WEEKEND. You'll have to make the same commitment though.

(My god so stupid)

.. please don't get mad at me.

Ok ok, so I know you know what I'm gonna say: I was busy. With high school and college and a lot of stuff. But that still doesn't excuse me from not notifying the hiatus, and I'm terribly sorry for that. I'm also sorry that I should have seen that I would be swamped and don't end up being a hypocrite. I also most sorry to inform ... that this story can't go on.

(XCOM: Enemy Within, totally called that human traitor stuff)

To first answer your question, yes, it was a flashback. When you chose to be a psionic, I secretly had my sister choose which mental setback you'll have, and it was epilepsy. I wanted to use this as a story hook in which I could narrate hidden memories and secrets, but in the end I felt like I was forcing a backstory when I didn't even have a backstory. Also, I don't feel up to the task of running a story telling game on forums because of the technical problems of postbypost story telling. (ps. I gave up on the stat system. it was terrible anyways)

But I'm back now. Even though I'm not off the hook yet, I can now update on this forum. PM me.
Egreham

Postby YetiChow » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:34 am

Egreham wrote:Hey bobbys! I'm finally back and ...

Developer's Note:

(My god so stupid)

.. please don't get mad at me.

Ok ok, so I know you know what I'm gonna say: I was busy. With high school and college and a lot of stuff. But that still doesn't excuse me from not notifying the hiatus, and I'm terribly sorry for that. I'm also sorry that I should have seen that I would be swamped and don't end up being a hypocrite. I also most sorry to inform ... that this story can't go on.

(XCOM: Enemy Within, totally called that human traitor stuff)

To first answer your question, yes, it was a flashback. When you chose to be a psionic, I secretly had my sister choose which mental setback you'll have, and it was epilepsy. I wanted to use this as a story hook in which I could narrate hidden memories and secrets, but in the end I felt like I was forcing a backstory when I didn't even have a backstory. Also, I don't feel up to the task of running a story telling game on forums because of the technical problems of postbypost story telling. (ps. I gave up on the stat system. it was terrible anyways)

But I'm back now. Even though I'm not off the hook yet, I can now update on this forum. PM me.

My friend, you have just learned the most important lesson of roleplaying: how to spot when it's getting too big and when to run for the hills before it eats your life :lol:

Even with the real-world pressure, it was an entertaining story - better to have loved and lost than to have missed an opportunity for a terrible cliché... or something like that :lol: I hope your newly increased leisure time can lead to some new, if simpler, undertakings on the forums; it's great to have you back :)

And, for the record, nobody I've spoken to can churn out in-depth backstory like you mate, just work on a way to keep the depth and make it simpler to work with and you'll create some amazing roleplays :D
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Egreham » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:33 am

Recently read a XCOM fanfiction called Stardust that had a psionic power called Wallflower that perfectly described Colonel's power. And yes, it's an MLP crossover. And no, I'm just being a tease and not continuing the story and just wanted to tell people this fact
Egreham

Previous

Return to Off-topic