X-COM: Darkest Before Dawn [Warning: "Possible" Spoilers]

Anything other than Towns

Re: X-COM: Darkest Before Dawn [Warning: "Possible" Spoilers

Postby Chrisb78 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:29 pm

YetiChow wrote:This game will not work, or it will be over very quickly -

Reason: Australia still exists in your story world. A quick viewing of history will show that Australia kicks serious ass (blunting the 'big push' and effectively turning the tide in both World Wars for example, holding many records for international sport, place where penecillin was invented and home of the world's first cancer vaccine)... we're a tough and resourceful bunch down here. Ergo, Australia kicks the aliens out and the invasion ends. Game over.

Also anyone who's ever played Risk knows that the player who holds Australia wins the game.
Chrisb78

Postby Egreham » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:48 am

bobbys wrote:Fair enough. Would definitely be interested so take your time.

I decided that I'm set on throwing out most of the stat-heavy concepts because it's still very premature, and that I'll give it a go with fewest players possible. Seeing the latter condition fits anyway, why not give it a go. I'll start up a thread for you as soon as I can get a starting setting to go on. It's going to be mainly text driven game.

I will, however, implement a very simple form of "competency level" (meaning like if you're poor, average, or masterful at general, broad things), "personal qualities" (anything noteworthy that describes you. Basically simple adjectives. Don't think about flaws and merits.), and "particular perks". In those things, whatever that you have in mind, keep it concise and simple. The complicated bits will matter only for characterization. I would also appreciate PMing me about those details in advance. If you do, please try to follow these guideline.

-competency level worst to best: poor, average, competent, expert. Choose 1 expert, 3 competent, and 2 poor skills. If you want, you can plus 1 competent with an additional poor, or 1 expert for minus 1 competent and plus 1 poor. Make them broad like Perception, Socialize, or Firearm, and not specific like Hearing, Bar Hopping, or Pistols, MGs unless it's those very intensive skills like Medicine(Surgery), or Science(Xenobiology).
-for personal qualities, please keep them under 6 things. One or two words each please.
-for "particular perks", just give me 2 department of training, since you already got [Psionic].

As a heads up, there will be questions at the beginning. Don't worry if you can't answer them all. Also, some of the "stats" will be a bit random.
Apparently, my dragon's dead out of my neglect
Egreham

Postby Cruzaeus » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:29 am

I'll jump on this bandwagon. I've always loved the XCOM series (CLASSIC ONES!!!) I still claim that the new XCOM isn't XCOM...
I'll roll my stats when you roll the new post. XD
Cruzaeus

Postby Egreham » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:51 am

I'm not sure if I'm ready to take on multiple players at once, but I'll consider it if you do send me a format.

I would like to revise my wording of my system a bit.

Write out 6 or less "characteristics". This is mainly for story and characterization purpose, and will only have subtle, if not minimal, effect on mechanics of outcome. Just be prepared not to roleplay against those qualities unreasonably. (I personally don't mind too much)

[wiry, muscular, short, bold, composed, restless, affectionate, suspicious, etc]

Pick 3 "titles". This is any label that fits your character, and is particularly significant to their life. This is mainly to get a feel of the big general scheme of the character.

[Student, Time Traveler(yeah, no), Hacker, Bartender, Philosophy Teacher, Serial Killer(!)]

Competency level: poor, average[untrained/trained], competent, expert, [genius]

Choose any "general skills". As a loose guide, look at "World of Darkness skill list": http://wiki.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkn ... f_Darkness)
Anything that requires intensive training and studying is already considered "poor", and has to be specific. Almost any Mental skill (and some others) falls in the this area.

[Medicine(Surgery), Science(Xenobiology), ?(Bullet Dodging), Psionic(Possess Animal)]

This is only to ascertain some things, giving you the choice generally where to put the bar. This is to leave some room for discretion and chance to come into play so not everything has to be decided at the beginning. It should hopefully be sufficient

Adolescent ~ Young Adult (gain bonus to being quick): [1 expert, 2 competent, 2 poor] , [4 competent, 2 poor]

Adult ~ mid Adult: [1 expert, 3 competent, 2 poor], [1 expert, 4 competent, 3 poor], [2 expert, 2 competent, 3 poor], [5 competent, 2 poor]

Venerable (+2 Physical "poor"): [2 expert, 4 competent, 2 poor], [3 expert, 3 competent, 4 poor], [1 expert, 5 competent, 2 poor], [7 competent, 3 poor], *[1 genius, 1 expert, 3 competent, 3 poor]
Last edited by Egreham on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Egreham

Postby Egreham » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:20 am

Egreham

Postby Cruzaeus » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:25 pm

Oh, you have it made up as a single person game, like a text RPG. Well then, nevermind. XD
Cruzaeus

Postby Egreham » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:13 am

To anyone who wants to contribute to this project, please PM me. I actually have thought of some other things that is available
Egreham

Postby Egreham » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:49 pm

bobbys didn't sign in Towns for 2 weeks. Considering reset
Egreham

Postby bobbys » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:47 pm

sorry, Work commitments. Will respond ASAP.
bobbys

Location: Somewhere between the Cloudlands of Dreams and Cold Hard Reality. This will hurt.

Postby Egreham » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:38 am

Jinxed it. Welcome back.
Egreham

Previous

Return to Off-topic